Anyone else out there a retired teacher like me?

I had no idea how much more active I was when I was teaching! Are you gaining weight now that you're retired?

Replies

• I'm not a retired teacher but I am a first year, second grade teacher. We're having a contest at school to see who takes the most steps during the day, so we wear a pedometer. I never realized how much I actually walked during the day until I looked at the pedometer and it said almost three miles! Although I'm not retired, I have noticed that before I was teaching full-time I wasn't nearly as active as I am now.
  • I am also a retired teacher - 2009. The first summer my fitness club closed and I have had trouble staying active - other than walking my dog. Why is it so much easier to eat 3500 calories and gain weight than it is to NOT eat 3500 calories and lose weight? My weight issues started long ago and for me it is a brain disease. When I am eating right, I am eating right. When I'm not, I am NOT!! Chocolate and ice cream are triggers for me, but when I don't have them I can look for other things to eat -- even things I do not like or even things that are not usually foods I would normally eat! We also tend to go out to eat more often now that we are empty nesters. Seeing that you have lost 13 pounds is an incentive to me! Keep us posted on your progress.
  • Soozie1978
    Soozie1978 Posts: 138 Member
    I'm not retired yet. I returned to teaching 2nd grade after 14 years home with kids! You are right, teachers are very active! I find that most days, just going about my regular activities with the munchkins is al the exercise I need ( and all I have time for ).
  • Hi Mary,
    I am also a retired Kindergarten teacher (age 61) from Massachusetts. Small world! I have been picking the wrong things to do to occupy my time (reading, sitting on the beach, knitting/crocheting, movies,eating out, shopping) instead of moving/exercising. I know I need to find a new direction and passion in my life as I am often bored. It is difficult adjusting to being home even though it has been three years already.
    I was diagnosed with type II diabetes in October and that has been a wake up call! I have lost 25 pounds so far, but hope to lose more (40?). I still haven't made the committment to exercise...I know I should...but I don't. I need motivation!!!
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    I'm a current teacher. I notice a difference on breaks. I have to work at getting myself moving more.

FYI - There is a group for current, future, and retired teachers: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/350-teachers-take-charge
  • torijo57
    torijo57 Posts: 11 Member
    Hi, I'm not retired YET, but getting close. I'm a Title 1 reading teacher. I need to drop about 50 lbs this year for health reason. I have knee problems so hard to move a lot, but trying. Thanks for the info on the teachers take-charge group info. I'll check it out.
  • Suzem1000
    Suzem1000 Posts: 1
    I retired last year after 21 years of teaching. I have gained around 15 pounds. I am bored and unmotivated. I am trying to get myself out of this depression, but so far I am unable to get it together. I might need to find a job. I am only 53 years old, and I think I may have retired too early. Do not make this same mistake.
  • freya33
    freya33 Posts: 149 Member
    I am just about to retire. In the last few years of teaching I put on weight, mega stress and little or no exercise. I am in the process of sorting out all my teaching stuff as I hope to tutor a bit and need to clearr everything from school by the end of August when I am officially finished.
    I did not stand on scales for months and the Sunday after the end of term I summoned up courage to stand on the scales, I was horrified! Since then I have been determiend to get fitter and lose all the extra weight. Getting fitter is not too bad as I belong to a gym and go to spinning classes at least 3 times a week ( a killer). Losing weight is not so easy it seems to be a slow process but I am determined to get to my target.
    I have signed up for a 10 mile run in October (.... don't ask why, it seemed a good idea at the time) so now I am out do a walk jog routine to get into running and up the miles.
    I did not realise how much I did in a average teaching day as I was working 12+ hours a day and mainly on my feet. I know I thrive on challenges which is why I joined round the world.
    I prefer to run outside and 3 laps round the local nature reserve, it is quiet and beautiful I have tickets for the paralympics and I think that will provede extra motivation, make me realise how fortunate I am.