Poor eating habits.

Options
2»

Replies

• Emily102102
    Emily102102 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm proud to say that I've NEVER eyeballed someone else's cart. I mean, when I'm at the checkout I see what they purchase, but I shop at a local grocery where lots of itty bitty old people shop and they always eat healthy/buy small amounts of things. We could learn from old folks, actually.

Sometimes I see people buy a giant 24-pack of canned beer. Then, I'm just jealous.

:drinker:
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I look at those carts and think "That used to be me!" and "I can't eat that even if I want to as I'll be sicker than a dog within the hour." Then I look at my cart and am proud that my husband and I have made such a lifestyle change that he was able to get off his cholesterol meds and I don't have to worry about him getting diabetes ANYMORE!!!!!

Eating healthy is a choice, but it's also what you know. I KNOW that I spend a lot more on food than other people because I buy all fruits, veggies, meat and a lot of it organic. I look at it as INVESTING in my husband and I and our future.
  • dbthegreat
    Options
    I really don't think that anybody should be judging other people by what the buy or how they buy it. Unless you know the person and you cannot make assumptions about their lack of education, choices of what to spend their food stamps or on the reasons that they are fat. You have no idea whether the person buys sweets/candy in case they are diabetic and need a sugar boost or some other condition.

Quite frankly I think it is downright rude to be nosing at other peoples shopping and even worse to be watching to see how they pay.

That person could have paid their own taxes for their whole adult life and suddenly found themselves needing food stamps through no fault of their own.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I really don't think that anybody should be judging other people by what the buy or how they buy it. Unless you know the person and you cannot make assumptions about their lack of education, choices of what to spend their food stamps or on the reasons that they are fat. You have no idea whether the person buys sweets/candy in case they are diabetic and need a sugar boost or some other condition.

Quite frankly I think it is downright rude to be nosing at other peoples shopping and even worse to be watching to see how they pay. What do you look at when you are in line at the market?

That person could have paid their own taxes for their whole adult life and suddenly found themselves needing food stamps through no fault of their own.
    First: Did you really just say that People use junk food in case they are diabetic?:noway:
    Second: What do you look at when you are in the line at the supermarket?
    Third: That doesn't mean they have to fill the cart with frozen chicken nuggets, Twinkies and soda. A lot of us have been down on our luck but I think SOMETIMES people are there because it's easier to be there than to work your way out. Just my opinion:drinker:
  • CherrySunday
    Options
    Oooh what an awesome topic! I totally notice what other people have in their carts, but I don't judge them about it. I mean, we were all right where they are at some point.

I do totally LOVE showing my cart off though haha! It sounds silly, but I'm like.. "ooh yeah, check out all these veggies and fruits and greek yogurts!"

As for food stamps.. I've known a few people who have had to go down that route. I just feel bad for them.. cause they usually buy the cheaper stuff, which always equals crappy foods.. processed stuff and just junk. It's sad that the good for your body stuff is more expensive, that's not right!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Oooh what an awesome topic! I totally notice what other people have in their carts, but I don't judge them about it. I mean, we were all right where they are at some point.

I do totally LOVE showing my cart off though haha! It sounds silly, but I'm like.. "ooh yeah, check out all these veggies and fruits and greek yogurts!"

As for food stamps.. I've known a few people who have had to go down that route. I just feel bad for them.. cause they usually buy the cheaper stuff, which always equals crappy foods.. processed stuff and just junk. It's sad that the good for your body stuff is more expensive, that's not right!

Cherrysunday I love your picture.
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Yes, I judge. And I'm sorry if you think it's rude, but I don't care. I think it's rude to be super unhealthy and cost our country (you and me) billions of dollars in health care costs. I think the companies that produce all that crap are rude. And I think it's rude of our FDA and government to support these industries and feign interest in our health. But that's a whooooole other thread. :flowerforyou:

Anyway, I'm very proud of my shopping cart - it's colorful and pretty! I love to cook and I'm very passionate about my food, so naturally, I'm passionate about the ingredients too.

Food stamp restrictions? Yes, to an extent, as long as accompanied by education. The fact is that healthy food is NOT always more expensive. I hate that reasoning. And how many people "can't cook?" You mean they don't feel like it? Or they aren't chefs? Come on...
  • amcanzo
    amcanzo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    That is a serious social issue.
    I wonder why healthy food is getting more expansive than fast food. It also cooporate for poor quality meals.

My daughter & I were just discussing this in the grocery store last night - everything healthy is at least twice as expensive as the unhealthy food - it's appalling! :huh:
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    true story about food stamps

I was in line in a grocery store, 2 customers behind the 300 lb woman checking out and using her food stamp card , (Lone Star Card here in Texas), the guy between us, in front of me, but behind her watches her for about 3 minutes unloading her junk food, mostly pastas, chips, high sodium canned goods, etc and then gets a scowl on his face
    afer she paid with her Lone Star food credit card, his face shows hes not a happy camper, then turns to me in a loud voice and blurts out...

"Well, as a tax payer , will I also be responisble for her health care and medical needs after she eats that crap, as well as paying for all her free food. The way shes eating, shell be in a hospital within 5 years"

Needless to say, I was dumfounded...........didnt say a word. ........

true story, felt bad for the lady, she heard every word. Lloyd
  • LucianaMilk
    Options
    Is that true that in NY city's streets it is offered fresh fruits to support new diet habits?
    If so, it is a great start.
  • LeonaB17
    LeonaB17 Posts: 304
    Options
    I try to mind my own business bc sometimes I am the person buying junk and I dont want people judging me! Most of the time I buy healthy food - but I am not perfect and I have weak moments sometimes. And if anyone judges me for what I buy- well they can kiss my butt. :heart: :wink:

As far as food stamps go..I have never used them and have been fortunate enough to have never needed to. I understand there is a need for assistance such as this, but I am bothered that some people clearly abuse the system.
  • freshmenthesis
    freshmenthesis Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    LucianaMilk---

Unhealthy food is cheap because it is precisely that --cheap food. Healthy foods have more of the "real" things that your body needs and those cost more to make than than the junk that is mainly produced by corn products. We understand quality in cars and other items- food is no different you get what you pay for.
  • femmerides
    femmerides Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I think the same thing about overweight shoppers as I do about underweight shoppers who are filling their carts with ****. "That sucks for them"

Food stamps only bother me when I see my tax money going into red bull and candy. If they legit need food stamps and are feeding their families then I fine with it. Its when they buy **** with food stamps and tvs with unemployment insurance that really piss me off.

this is why i approve of WIC more than EBT. WIC tells you what you can and cannot buy. EBT lets you buy anything. If my tax dollars are paying for your food, please eat healthy. thanks!
  • femmerides
    femmerides Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I think the same thing about overweight shoppers as I do about underweight shoppers who are filling their carts with ****. "That sucks for them"

Food stamps only bother me when I see my tax money going into red bull and candy. If they legit need food stamps and are feeding their families then I fine with it. Its when they buy **** with food stamps and tvs with unemployment insurance that really piss me off.

this is why i approve of WIC more than EBT. WIC tells you what you can and cannot buy. EBT lets you buy anything. If my tax dollars are paying for your food, please eat healthy. thanks!

or feed your family the proper nutrition they need.
  • LucianaMilk
    Options
    I don't know, but the price of food it is a bigger problem than this.

The nature world offers us a range variety of food without high costs . It is a wise system
    I think that the interest of big companies of fast food comes first and besides field camps are being replaced by cattle farms.

At the end it costs more for us in basic food rice, wheat etc

I truly believe that is why people eat so badly
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I am not even American, we don't even have "food stamps" here, but questions - how do you regulate what they can and can't buy? Olive oil - healthy. Chicken - healthy. Whole wheat bread - healthy. You can bread the chicken and fry it in the oil, not such a healthy meal. Is cheese healthy or not? Eggs? Butter is fine in moderation, but can be very unhealthy, is that out? What constitutes healthy and who decides what makes a healthy food?

You can still become overweight and unhealthy by eating too much "healthy" food. You can use "healthy food" and still prepare unhealthy meals.

And what about the ones who are healthy, but want a treat. Little old grandma on social assistance can't buy sweets to go with her tea?

ETA- and that is not even addressing the issue of the cost of "healthy" food.
  • skinnnyxoxo
    skinnnyxoxo Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I don't care what people spend the food stamps on. It's there body, their money to buy their food. They need to feed themselves, and if unhealthy food is cheaper than they should buy whatever they want to fill their stomachs up. Yes, I do glance at people's shopping carts, but I don't judge. It's not like I'm perfect, so I have no right to do so. And as for the issue of the government regulating the type of food people buy, are we going to let the government control our diet now?
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    It never even crossed my mind to look in others' carts. My wife would say I'm too self-centered for that. :wink: I say I'm just concentrating on what's important. I also couldn't give a damn what others think of my choices. Again, it's never crossed my mind.
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I don't care what people spend the food stamps on. It's there body, their money to buy their food. They need to feed themselves, and if unhealthy food is cheaper than they should buy whatever they want to fill their stomachs up. Yes, I do glance at people's shopping carts, but I don't judge. It's not like I'm perfect, so I have no right to do so. And as for the issue of the government regulating the type of food people buy, are we going to let the government control our diet now?

If you don't think that the government has a hand in controlling what the vast majority of people eat, you have a lot to learn.

And also, no, it is not exactly "their money" since it comes from taxpayer dollars.

However, it is their body, and they can do with it what they will.

As of June 2009, the average monthly benefit was $133.12 per person. Are you honestly telling me that a family of four can't eat healthily for $532/month? Seriously?

And if 1 in 8 Americans and 1 in 4 American children are utilizing SNAP then how much money do you think the average American taxpayer is paying for these people to eat. (Let it be known, that I have ZERO issue with having a food assistance program in general.)

SNAP participants consume less produce and healthy options and purchase at least 40% more sugar-sweetened beverages than any other consumer group.* We here all know that getting your calories from sugary beverages does absolutely nothing for your health. In addition, they are by no means necessary to your diet. Water is. (*From the American Journal for Public Health)

Maximilian Schmeiser, an economist with the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System, noted that each additional year of SNAP participation increases the BMI of women and men by 1.6 BMI points (2009). The Economics and Human Biology journal uses an example that an average American woman, 5 feet 4 inches tall, will be 5.8 pounds (2.6 kg) heavier if she is on SNAP than someone who is SNAP eligible, but not receiving food assistance.

This is right there on Wikipedia with credible references.

Hence the conversation about educating the masses on nutrition. Whoever brought that up was on the right track.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I am not even American, we don't even have "food stamps" here, but questions - how do you regulate what they can and can't buy? Olive oil - healthy. Chicken - healthy. Whole wheat bread - healthy. You can bread the chicken and fry it in the oil, not such a healthy meal. Is cheese healthy or not? Eggs? Butter is fine in moderation, but can be very unhealthy, is that out? What constitutes healthy and who decides what makes a healthy food?

You can still become overweight and unhealthy by eating too much "healthy" food. You can use "healthy food" and still prepare unhealthy meals.

And what about the ones who are healthy, but want a treat. Little old grandma on social assistance can't buy sweets to go with her tea?

ETA- and that is not even addressing the issue of the cost of "healthy" food.

Everything you say is true. There are some things beyond the control of what you purchase. But there are some things you can control. Alcohol is prohibited for example. But other things that are never healthy such as candy, soda, etc are permitted.