No one noticing?

Options
Ok....so I have quick question. I have read in past forums that generally people start noticing when you have lost about 20 lbs. I have gone from 170 to 148.9 as of this morning (in about 4 months). I have dropped 2 pant sizes and 2 bra sizes. I am extremely proud of how far I have come, and I finally feel like I can really tell a difference. BUT...the only people that have said anything are my parents and a few friends who know that I had a change of eating habits. It is really discouraging that no one else has noticed. Two of my best friends haven't said a thing...anyone else in this situation?

Replies

• kendf60
    kendf60 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Not many people noticed until I was down 30 lbs.. It doesn't seem like the people closest to me are the ones who noticed though.
  • glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Yes, but I'm not doing it for someone to notice. I'm doing it for myself.
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    No one noticed my weight loss until I was around the 30lb mark.

So as long as you notice, the rest of them can shove it.

Be proud of what you have accomplished!
  • michedarnd
    michedarnd Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Oh, nobody has noticed me, either. I started off a size 22 -- three months ago. I am now a size 16. Not a peep. *shrug* Oh, well.
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Maybe they aren't saying anything because they are a little jealous?
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    It may be just that the topic is a little taboo.
    Asking "Have you lost weight?", may imply that you overweight/fat before (which some people might take offense to).
    I wouldn't think anything of it! Congrats on your accomplishments!
  • Haz89
    Haz89 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Maybe they are so used to seeing you, they just didn't notice. You're doing great! Keep it up.
  • deb_rn
    deb_rn Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    One of my coworkers finally looked at me yesterday and asked if I had lost weight! I think because the weight came off gradually, the people that see me all of the time didn't notice the gradual change.
  • tol5667
    tol5667 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing going on, and it took a while, and almost 40 pounds before anyone said anything, but perhaps you should see someone you haven't seen in a while, and someone like that might notice a drastic change like that. Also, sometimes people might be reserving comment, even if it is complimentary, for any number of reasons; in any case, 20 pounds is really a great accomplishment!
  • missfluffyuk
    Options
    As somebody before me said, it could be that they don't want to mention your weight., as it can be a very touchy and taboo subject.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Ladies....just be open about it. That's my thing. I just tell people who know, or dont know, about my journey. Then you can always whip out a pic of the OLD you on your phone and they WILL notice.
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I didn't hear anyone say anything until I was down 35 pounds. And it was mostly from people who hadn't seen me in a long time.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    It may be just that the topic is a little taboo.
    Asking "Have you lost weight?", may imply that you overweight/fat before (which some people might take offense to).
    I wouldn't think anything of it! Congrats on your accomplishments!

This.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Maybe they aren't saying anything because they are a little jealous?

Not this.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    If they're people you see every day, like at work, it can be hard to judge because they see you every day and the change is gradual. Also, it is kind of taboo to mention. People I worked with didn't really notice mine (my students did!) but they did notice my rise in self-confidence.
  • Kushgetti
    Kushgetti Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Who r u doing it 4 u or other people????
  • ahinescapron
    ahinescapron Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Maybe people are just not comfortable saying something. I never want to say anything, unless it is really a big loss. I guess I just don't want to imply that there was anything wrong with the way they were before. People probably notice, but just aren't sure what to say.
  • christiemarie823
    Options
    At 20 lbs down - I hadn't heard anything. At almost 30 down, I have had a few people comment. And I agree that it is taboo. The more you lose, the more people will comment. While I'm losing for myself, the feedback is always validating. Congrats on the weightloss and keep it up!
  • kyliecakes0405
    kyliecakes0405 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I hear people don't start to notice until there is a 20lb loss but then it depends on how frequent you see certain people. It's one of those weird things. Could depend on how the person is viewing you? Some may be too afraid to say anything at all.

Personally I had several people notice my loss around 17lbs but I just noticed myself just last week after 3 months of dieting. The full length mirror made me really stop and stare!

It's worth it and keep up the great work!
  • Mariposa187
    Mariposa187 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    some people are afraid to ask or say anything considering how easily people are offended nowadays. but ultimately you are doing this for you and if they dont notice too bad! or maybe they are jealous as well... i had a friend that refused to acknowledge anything good i did b/c she wasn't doing it for herself.

You look amazing! Thats all you need to remember!