Need advice please on sick dog!

Options
Hi everyone,

My daughter has a chocolate lab that she says has been acting really strange all day. (I don't see this dog very often because the dog lives at my ex-husband's house).

Apparently it's been eating & pooping okay but it refuses to drink any water at all & won't go pee at all either all day today. She says that he's been whining off & on today (like he's maybe in some sort of pain or discomfort). He also won't lay in his usual lying down position. My ex-h thinks maybe something is going on with his kidneys. It's weird though because he apparently had been acting totally fine recently & he didn't start having these issues (or showings signs of having issues anyways) until today.

Any advice at all on what they can do to help her dog get better?? I told her that it sounds like they should bring him to the vet but she says her dad can't afford it right now. I really hope her dog will be okay because my daughter just absolutely loves him to pieces & would be devastated if anything happens to him.

Replies

• Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I know it is expensive but it is cheaper to treat them before things get out of hand. If he stops eating and drinking then you need to take him in.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    They need to find the money and get him to a vet. Unfortunately, it is that simple.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    He may have a bladder infection or a UTI... Take him to the vet and tell them what you've told us.
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Get him to a vet, now. Dogs are almost like people. If you were having these symptoms you would go to your doctor. Don't let your pet suffer.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Seriously! If it was your daughter that was sick I think you would find the money somehow. The dog is obviously suffering. Help it.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Yeah, sounds like a possible kidney problem. The dog is not drinking because it makes it uncomfortable. Maybe something as simple as a kidney stone. Owning a dog is a huge responsibility, and one should be financial able to care for a dog when sick. Maybe check for a center that might do pro bono work or take payments.
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    He could have eaten something. One of mine ate some bird poo last year (gross, I know) and got really sick and had to go to the vet.

Your daughter needs needs neeeeeds to take him to the vet. If the dog gets worse, it will only get more expensive. In the meantime, tell her to try to get him hydrated. Mix plain unflavored pedialite with a little chicken broth; see if he goes for that.
  • skyls
    skyls Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I agree, sounds like a vet visit is in order. Did the dog maybe get a hold of some chocolate with the Halloween season going on?.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Vet! I used to work at a clinic and this needs a vet's attention. If their vet is like mine, money isn't an issue, and plans can be made later to pay. :)
  • glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Many vets will help with costs, such as payment plans. Like the others, I suggest taking to the vet immediately and inform them you are short on money.
  • Clever_Girl
    Options
    There are a lot of Vets now that offer credit cards for those in need.

The answer to this is take the dog to the vet. I do not care how your ex finds the money.

Bottom line, that dog cannot earn money for itself to take itself to the vet. Your daughter took on the responsibility of the dog and SOMEONE needs to take the dog to the vet ASAP. As in 12 hours ago. No peeing isn't good. Ever heard of dehydration? This makes me angry and i'm going to stop typing now before I say something I really regret.
  • Metamorphasis555
    Options
    Thank you very much for the advice everyone. I really appreciate it.

Just to reiterate, this is not my dog. The dog belongs to my ex-husband & his new wife. If it was my dog then I wouldn't even hesitate to take it to the vet but it's their dog.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options

Just to reiterate, this is not my dog. The dog belongs to my ex-husband & his new wife. If it was my dog then I wouldn't even hesitate to take it to the vet but it's their dog.
    It's your daughter's happiness, offer to take it to the vet if they can't.
  • Clever_Girl
    Options

Okay. Did you not just say that this dog belongs to your daughter?!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

It's your daughter's happiness, offer to take it to the vet if they can't.

I agree. If you can afford it, please help this animal.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Take the dog to the vet. Who cares if he is not yours??? Set a good example about what should be done to care for an animal!!
  • Clever_Girl
    Options
    Take the dog to the vet. Who cares if he is not yours??? Set a good example about what should be done to care for an animal!!

EXACTLY!
  • DianeBrandon
    Options
    I would tell the ex that a pet is a family member and find a vet that will help with some type of payment arrangements. Where I lived we had a vets office that only took pets on first come first served unless it was an emergancie. Payments was very affordable. But my out come with my pet was not good. But they helped me when I needed it for my friend in need. I hope you talk to your ex and exspress to get some help for this pouch. Its not right to suffer in pain....Good luck an I hope all works out well with your daughters best friend..
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Ditto the above-- check for any warmness on the dog's head above normal. If he's running a fever, even a low one, that's a really big deal for a dog. It indicates an infection and can be very serious, especially if you put off the vet. My dachshund had a kidney infection and I didn't realize it, and I wrote her unusual warmth to a minor fever (could wait a day to see if it got better). Instead we ended up having to rush her to the vet on a Sunday, have antibiotics and fluids, and a massive bill. Fortunately he did a payment plan with us. Months later she had a bladder infection with similar symptoms but that time I was on it right away. The vet is always something that you think you can put off, but sometimes you just can't.
  • Metamorphasis555
    Options
    Unfortunately, I just moved this past weekend & due to all my moving expenses have almost zero extra money right now. Otherwise, I would most definitely offer to pay for a vet.

I just texted my ex & my ex's step mother to ask how the dog is doing. Still waiting to hear back from them.

One of you mentioned that your dog got really sick from eating bird poop & you had to take your dog to the vet because of it. I wonder if that might possibly have something to do with their dog being sick as they do have several birds at their house as well & so it definitely seems at least somewhat plausible that the dog might have eaten some of the bird droppings.