Bacon: Awesome or Super-Awesome?

Options

Replies

• WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Super Bacon. It needs a cape.
    And Bacon increases its awesomeness exponentially when crispy.
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    NOT so awesome. Turkey-bacon....well Ok if necessary. Don't eat pigs.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    NOT so awesome. Turkey-bacon....well Ok if necessary. Don't eat pigs.
    But they taste so good!
    Plus, turkeys don't have bacon ;D
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Once while bored at work we dared our chef to make pancacon - bacon coated in pancake batter and deep fried, pairs nicely with maple syrup.

*edit*
    And then we made him make it for us all the time.
  • pink59eldo
    Options
    It's super awesome. I had 3 pieces of thick-sliced pepper bacon for breakfast today, in fact. BACON!

Ohhhhh I love pepper bacon...it's been sooo long since I've had some great bacon
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    1 oz of bacon has 151 calories, 3 % Saturated fat and 2% sodium and no nutritional value other than the 2-3 grams of protein and it does have nitrates. If you love salty greasy food so much that you don't mind high cholesterol, hypertension and carcinogens, go for it.
    So what? If eaten in moderation, it's fine. Bacon is SUPERFOOD!!!!!
  • spasticlulu
    Options
    cool
  • pink59eldo
    Options
    coincidentally, this arrived in the mail yesterday :smile:

386025_10150351304672001_720492000_8757632_225888494_n.jpg
    Oooohhh how is it? I've had bacon salt, it's great on popcorn :D

My bf loves that stuff. Also he really likes bacon popcorn...and anything else bacon. He has metabolism on his side lol
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    1 oz of bacon has 151 calories, 3 % Saturated fat and 2% sodium and no nutritional value other than the 2-3 grams of protein and it does have nitrates. If you love salty greasy food so much that you don't mind high cholesterol, hypertension and carcinogens, go for it.
    So what? If eaten in moderation, it's fine. Bacon is SUPERFOOD!!!!!

I eat nitrate free bacon and I cook often with bacon fat. I have excellent lipid levels and no hypertension.

It also makes my eyes shine and my hair lustrous. Life is too short to not eat bacon.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Bacon is awesome...........

However, bacon that comes from a free range pig or a wild boar and is free from the processing and nitrates is SUPER-AWESOME.

I love FRESH applewood smoked bacon straight from the smoke house on a farm.
  • bear_nakey
    bear_nakey Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    It's NOT super awesome. . . .

It's MAGICAL!!!!!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Bacon is the anti-Christ of good nutrition. Of course, that's what makes it tasty.
    What? Low calorie, good protein, relatively low fat, what's not to love?

There are way more nitrates in a salad than you find in bacon. Nitrates are naturally occurring in almost all vegetables, particularly leafy greens. Also, there hasn't been a single real study that has shown any kind of causal link between nitrates and any health problems, and they aren't carcinogens. Which is a good thing, because if they were, salads would be off limits.

And center cut bacon has about 70-80 calories per serving (2-3 slices, depending on thickness.) and 7 grams of protein, compared with 4 grams of fat, and only about 200 mg of sodium.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Once while bored at work we dared our chef to make pancacon - bacon coated in pancake batter and deep fried, pairs nicely with maple syrup.

*edit*
    And then we made him make it for us all the time.

I'm going to do this but minus the deep frying bit. I actually just saw it done the other day. Brilliant idea!
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Holy Shnikies! I'm editing my Saturday breakfast to accommodate pancacon.

Pan fry it first...then dip in batter and recook.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    I eat nitrate free bacon and I cook often with bacon fat. I have excellent lipid levels and no hypertension.

It also makes my eyes shine and my hair lustrous. Life is too short to not eat bacon.
    Funny when the "health police" come in and bash bacon! Of course they are here to lose weight because all they did was overeat "healthy" foods...................
    I eat bacon every other day and consider it a staple in my diet. And have never had high LDL cholesterol or hypertension either.
  • sonic_the_cat
    sonic_the_cat Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Super awesome! Just had bacon & eggs for dinner. In fact, I'm pretty sure I have at least three kinds of bacon in my frig right now :happy:
  • chrisandmontey
    Options
    Super awesome! Just had bacon & eggs for dinner. In fact, I'm pretty sure I have at least three kinds of bacon in my frig right now :happy:
    can I come live with you? HAHAHAHA
  • kbrogan78
    kbrogan78 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I make bacon jam for most of my relatives and friends at holiday time. It is GLORIOUS! Then, of course, both my house and I smell like bacon for weeks. And I end up with lots of rendered bacon fat to do tasty things with (bacon fat pie crust for quiche, just as an example).

http://www.notquitenigella.com/2009/10/08/bacon-jam-your-wildest-dreams-come-true/
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I am a purist... Bacon is only good with bacon...no syrup no nothing else.

But I actually prefer the other parts of a pig... ham...sausage,... ribs....pork shoulder.... pulled pork

Dont limit the goodness that is swine by limiting it to bacon, that my friends is blasphemy.
  • Tyler4846
    Options
    BLT Advocado sandwich mmmmmmmmmmmmm yummmmmmmmm