cheat meals

Options
Hey all.
I was just curious about how many of you believe in the cheat meal (or even cheat day). I know this is a lifestyle change, not a diet, but I like to have my one little bit of "freedom" every week. I still log it all, and I try to cheat in reasonable portion sizes, I just don't worry about the calories/types of food ahead of time. So far, I've eaten well over my usual daily allowance of calories in my cheat meal every week... :blushing:

Any thoughts? Is this a bad decision? Am I setting myself up for eventual failure? Is there a better way than cheating? (I wish it wasn't called cheating--makes me feel guilty!)

Please share! You won't hurt my feelings, even if you think I'm a loon! :laugh:

-Jo

Replies

• jomane81
    jomane81 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hey all.
    I was just curious about how many of you believe in the cheat meal (or even cheat day). I know this is a lifestyle change, not a diet, but I like to have my one little bit of "freedom" every week. I still log it all, and I try to cheat in reasonable portion sizes, I just don't worry about the calories/types of food ahead of time. So far, I've eaten well over my usual daily allowance of calories in my cheat meal every week... :blushing:

Any thoughts? Is this a bad decision? Am I setting myself up for eventual failure? Is there a better way than cheating? (I wish it wasn't called cheating--makes me feel guilty!)

Please share! You won't hurt my feelings, even if you think I'm a loon! :laugh:

-Jo
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Dear Loony Tune (kidding)

I personally hate the word 'cheat"

instead I use "treat"

treats should be rare and I dont usually schedule them as in one a week or anything
    but I do reward myself occasionally after a hard set or workouts or something

my treat is usually a more expensive steak than normal

the word cheat seems wrong to me and gives me a bad mojo

treat yourself
    dont cheat yourself
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I totally understand that some people are not able to control their urges and don't have any cheat meals/days and I repsect that but I'm not one of them! :wink:

I FULLY believe in a cheat meal/day. I think you are setting yourself up for failure if you don't let yourself have a treat every now and then.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options

treat yourself
    dont cheat yourself

Man, Dave is just full of them today! :bigsmile:
    Where is the real Dave?? What have you done to him!?!?!?!?
    :flowerforyou:
  • plussized
    plussized Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I think we should, on top of learning everything we are learning with the process, learn how to justify our actions. I believe that it is ok to have a candy bar one day, or a cheat day (every once in a while), etc., however I think the extra calories should be worked off/earned. If I want to go out for pizza or whatever, I'm going to make sure that I get in a good solid hour at the gym before hand.

The only times I'm not too hard on myself are for events like baby showers, birthday parties, etc. I still watch what I eat and portion control, but I'm more free to whatever I want and I have to go to the gym the next day.

If you are eating over your allowance in calories every week you are setting yourself up for failure in MY opinion. You have to learn that a treat is a treat. It isn't a treat when it is all the time, it's a routine. I think you should see what kind of foods you are eating for your cheat meals and see if there is any way to make a healthier-yet-still-tasty version of it. Also, limit yourself somtimes. Maybe have a cheat meal every other week if you must, or just have a cheat food (i.e. ice cream after dinner, etc).
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Increasing your caloric intake for a day has helped some avoid plateau and also binging.

Some get bent out of shape with cheating. I include things I like into my calorie allotment. But whatever works for you is what you should do. Just be mindful to get the proper nutrients.
  • Brandiann
    Brandiann Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I don't call it a cheat or treat day. If I'm wanting something that's more calories then my norm then I just eat it and move on to a my next meal being a healthier one. Sometimes in a week I may have several food items or meals that are not healthier choices but I enjoy them and never deprive myself of anything. That way when I lose the weight and have to maintain I will be able to eat and enjoy but not go overboard or if I should, then I will spend extra time at the gym to burn those calories. Hope this helps.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

treat yourself
    dont cheat yourself

everyday Princess
    you just haven't been paying attention
    live and learn:laugh:
  • persian_dancer
    Options
    I don't schedule mine usually, sometimes I'll have a meal that is higher than normal like a couple slices of pizza or some really good tomatoe sauce, but I usually try to workout enough to WIN that treat and get to eat it guilt free. Oh sometimes I have an MGD 64 as well, I like to think of "cheating" as winning that chicken sandwich or that extra piece of pizza :bigsmile: :drinker:
  • olsen022
    olsen022 Posts: 7
    Options
    The only problem is if you go overboard and justify to yourself that "it's OK, this is my free (cheat, treat, whatever) day, so I can eat whatever I want and get back on track Monday (or Tuesday, or whatever)"....!

I've fallen into this pattern and it only gave me a reason to break my healthy habits by scheduling a "cheat day". What works for me now is to follow the 80/20 rule (80% time you eat healthy foods and 20% won't always be healthiest choices, but don't beat yourself up over it). If you must have that candy bar, chips from the vending machine, hot dog from the ballpark, etc., it won't hurt your overall healthy diet.
  • librarygirl
    librarygirl Posts: 182
    Options
    My boyfriend calls them my "sinful things' but I allow myself to have a Starbucks signature hot chocolate (when it's cold) or a Mocha Frap. (when it's hot) on the weekend. I look forward to it all week and I make sure I savour it when I do have it. My manager goes to Starbucks 2 or 3 times a week (and I used to get a drink a couple of times when she went) but I am able now to wait because I know I will have one on the weekend and that I can take the time and enjoy it instead of rushing to drink it at work.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I did have times when I relaxed and just enjoyed a meal without counting or watching every little thing. I didn't think of it as a cheat meal really. It is just part of life to have certain events or meals happen and I just focus on enjoying it and then getting back to my "norm" the next day (or meal). No biggie!! :wink:

Fun or "bad" foods or meals can be a part of a healthy lifestyle as long as they don't become the "norm" for you again.

Remember, it wasn't one meal that made you gain the weight. :wink:
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose 66 lbs by depriving myself......you just can't take that "cheat' day, and turn it into a "cheat"week or longer.....some people can do it, and some can't. You have to decide if you can have a "cheat" day .

BYW----mine was usually a "cheat " meal.....I don't kill then entire day!
  • BFS4LIFE
    BFS4LIFE Posts: 1
    Options
    However, YOU decide to look at it...a CHEAT or TREAT is the right way to stick to your goals. I challenge you to, "Eat to Cheat", by taking a break from your conscious, everyday workout and meal plan, you revitalize your desire to keep eating CLEAN.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options

treat yourself
    dont cheat yourself

everyday Princess
    you just haven't been paying attention
    live and learn:laugh:

Guess I have to stop ignoring you then. :bigsmile: :flowerforyou: :tongue:

The cool thing about cheat days is finding out something that you thought you were craving doesn't taste as good as you thought it was going to. I've even had some treats that just make me feel down right crappy and then I don't want them anymore!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

This is a life and death deal for me. I decided to give up "recreational eating" and find my recreation and entertainment in other ways.

I plan my meals the night before and stick to the plan. I plan on doing plenty of exercise and plan my eating accordingly. With enough exercise and pre planning I can include some foods that I like that are higher calorie. Mostly I stick to "clean eating" so I can have a lot more to eat and a lot more nutrition and stay within my calories allowances.

Rewarding my self with food is what got me where I am. It's time to do something different.

Good luck :bigsmile:
  • July
    July Posts: 239
    Options
    My problem with "cheating" is I don't stop. I figure, eh, I went over, the day's a mess, so what if I go over a bit more. WRONG THINKING, I know.
  • bevjack1
    bevjack1 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I don't cheat, but once in awhile I'll "splurge" my allotted calories on something less than healthy...
    today I ate a Taco Bell soft taco supreme with hot sauce, and boy did it taste good. But THAT was
    instead of a Burrito Supreme (which would have been my old choice) . The difference in calories
    is huge

But I don't do this very often. I lost 10 lbs. before I found this site, and so I'm down 13 lbs. and
    not about to mess that up with cheating.

BTW, the plateau I hit for over two weeks was because I hadn't stopped having my glass of wine
    at night. When I stopped, like magic the metabolism moved.
  • NinjaPrincess
    Options
    I balance out my treats over a week. I might cut my calories a little more one day or exercise a little more as long as by the end of the week i seem to still be consistent with my goals. As I understand Weight Watchers does something similar with flex points, but if your weight isn't changing or you hit a plateau you know you are not balancing it out. Maybe underestimating your treats or overestimating your exercise... In the end its about goals and asking yourself what you want more. I have found myself slipping into 'treating' myself a lot lately and i still exercise and balance it so I haven't gained but I am dissapointed in myself because I haven't lost either. I know its more about emotionally eating and feeling like I deserve it and I need to get better at telling myself what I really deserve is to be healthy and to take care of myself... easier said then done sometimes, especially with that delicious tasting easter bunny around
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I plan my "cheat" or "treat." For example, yesterday was my birthday (the big 4-0) and I knew I was going to Outback and I knew I was getting the chocolate thunder after my steak. But, I also was extremely fastidious with my calories before the dinner, chose the steamed veggies instead of the potato and put in a really good workout earlier in the day. And today, I got right back to the schedule and even put in a little extra walking. I enjoyed my meal and have no guilty feelings.

I don't know when I will have another "cheat" or "treat" it will easily be more than a week from now.