Protein Shake Tip!

Options
So I'm using Vanilla Ice Cream Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard for my protein shakes, and it's good but I'm not crazy about the taste when mixed with water. Had some sugar free drink mixes laying around, so I poured half of one of those single serving packets into a 2-scoop shake.

It was DELICIOUS - had kind of a berries-and-cream thing going on, and covered up the trademark "protein" aftertaste while only adding 5 calories. :)

Replies

• andreacord
    Options
    Hmm .. interesting. Might give it a try, I drink mine with water as well because it gets all nastily clumpy in milk. Thanks for the tip =)
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Hmm .. interesting. Might give it a try, I drink mine with water as well because it gets all nastily clumpy in milk. Thanks for the tip =)

Mine does to, so now I put it in the blender and it works well!
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    I have to share the most amazing invention ever :D Its so freaking simple, and works so perfectly!

I just bought a few of these from my gym...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRRUxctLL2FafCqPzdmfQ1fW7xqbW4nQvStlwZeId7zZyphDlzC

The little ball is designed like a whisk... and it shakes around in the bottle to blend everything. I never have clumps!
  • Mehs
    Mehs Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have to share the most amazing invention ever :D Its so freaking simple, and works so perfectly!

I just bought a few of these from my gym...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRRUxctLL2FafCqPzdmfQ1fW7xqbW4nQvStlwZeId7zZyphDlzC

The little ball is designed like a whisk... and it shakes around in the bottle to blend everything. I never have clumps!

One of my coworkers has one and she said its great. I think they sell them at CVS too.

Nice idea about adding the sf mix. I may try that tomorrow.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I've heard great things about these! Funny though, the Optimum doesn't clump for me - what kind of powder are you guys using?
  • cassiewatson
    cassiewatson Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just started doing protein shakes...But it seems like everyday that I have one I'm over in my daily protein intake do you know how much is too much per day?
  • luhluhlaura
    luhluhlaura Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I use Body Fortress Super Advanced whey protein...the cookies&cream one tastes SO good, but right now I'm using the vanilla.

It clumps if I mix it with a spoon, but I put about a cup of almond milk, a scoop of powder, and lots of ice in the blender and BAM-- it's like a healthy milkshake :)
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I just started doing protein shakes...But it seems like everyday that I have one I'm over in my daily protein intake do you know how much is too much per day?

Depends largely on your fitness goals. If you are lifting heavy weights, shoot for 1g protein/pound of bodyweight.

If you're not lifting heavy weights, start.
  • luhluhlaura
    Options

As far as I know, you're supposed to eat about your body weight (kilos) in grams of protein per day.

Since I began using shakes I tend to go a little over on protein, but I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing as long as you're not over in calories. I could be wrong though. But before shakes I hardly ate any protein, so right now I feel like I need extra.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it works the same with protein shakes, but sometimes I add some fat free/sugar free instant pudding mix to my Shakeology for some flavor. I use the chocolate Shakeology, and I love it mixed with some butterscotch flavor. I guess it would work the same with chocolate protein powder, too. Or maybe some mint choco chip mix with vanilla protein powder. Mmmm...ideas... :)
  • ritajean3
    ritajean3 Posts: 306 Member
    Options

As far as I know, you're supposed to eat about your body weight (kilos) in grams of protein per day.

Since I began using shakes I tend to go a little over on protein, but I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing as long as you're not over in calories. I could be wrong though. But before shakes I hardly ate any protein, so right now I feel like I need extra.

That seems a tad excessive. You can calculate it for body building by your lean mass.....totally forgetting where I did that but mine was like 100-120 a day or something which is way under my actual weight. :D

I got natures way and if you don't blend it it is like drinking milky chalk I put it in the blender today and it is still funky consistency but I can chug it down I may add ice tomorrow and see if that improves it.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options

That seems a tad excessive. You can calculate it for body building by your lean mass.....totally forgetting where I did that but mine was like 100-120 a day or something which is way under my actual weight. :D

I got natures way and if you don't blend it it is like drinking milky chalk I put it in the blender today and it is still funky consistency but I can chug it down I may add ice tomorrow and see if that improves it.

I heard that it was supposed to be 1gram/1lb if you're at your goal weight but if you're still losing to aim 1gram/1lb of what your goal weight is.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Seriously, it really doesn't make a difference if you are at 1 gram of protein per lb of bodyweight or lean body weight unless you are TRYING to build muscle. You wont gain weight either way if you are under your calorie limits. My boyfriend eats like a horse, he is trying to build muscle and doesn't care about weight. He has to ATTEMPT to eat 4-500 grams of protein per day. My personal goal is to eat above 100grams per day because I am taking baby steps and its hard in the beginning to eat that much protein.
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if my protein is in the red I'm excited :wink:

As for clumpy, tastless protein shakes, for me, I couldn't find one that I could use since I have Celiac's (gluten allergy) and and extreme sensitivity to soy (sets my hormones into "hold the fat no matter what" mode - took me 3 years to reset & finally lose 20lbs!) I found Olympian Labs Pea Protein which I mix with water (don't use milk or juice as really don't want those extra cals for no reason) and their chocolate is pretty good. I just tried a sample of their vanilla and it's not bad either. I'll usually add a shake of cinnamon & ginger spice to the chocolate one to "spice" it up and it works.

Just for anyone who wants to try something new. Oh, and it's 25g protein & 103 cals per serving - best over-all I've ever found out there!
  • luhluhlaura
    Options

Well I meant your body weight in kilograms, if you missed that. Like for me, I weigh 145 lbs but in kgs I think it's about 66. So I try to consume around 66 grams of protein per day. I don't think that's excessive, but I could be wrong! I just googled it a while back and I found that information on a "how much protein do you need per day" calculator.
  • ritajean3
    ritajean3 Posts: 306 Member
    Options

Well I meant your body weight in kilograms, if you missed that. Like for me, I weigh 145 lbs but in kgs I think it's about 66. So I try to consume around 66 grams of protein per day. I don't think that's excessive, but I could be wrong! I just googled it a while back and I found that information on a "how much protein do you need per day" calculator.

Ah super duper I was thinking lbs.
  • spyork
    spyork Posts: 187
    Options
    Great idea, i mix mine with scottish oats, the shake i have straight after my workout i add creatine and green tea extract. enjoy
  • spyork
    spyork Posts: 187
    Options
    try and take a gram of protein for every pound of body weight and drink plenty