Drinking so much water

Options
Hi all. What are the benefits of the water? I am finding it difficult to drink so much. Can I not class cups of coffee as water intake?

Replies

• cmiles23
    cmiles23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    no coffee should be logged as coffee as it is not water.
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Hydration, optimal body performance, clean skin, cleanse your body of toxins...Should I continue?
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    No, you can't. Try flavored water, or add a shot of lemon juice to your water to jazz if up if its boring...
  • vico69
    vico69 Posts: 10
    Options
    I find I drink a lot when I exercise but not much any other time
  • sophieshaped
    sophieshaped Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Try herbal teas? If it's caffeine-free you can count it :o)
  • rrrbecca11
    Options
    Not everything we do for health is what we would "prefer" to do. That is a simple truth that so many never face. Your body MUST have water, whether you 'like' it or not. Learn to drink it anyway. If you're like most people, once you have developed the habit of drinking it, you will find that nothing else tastes as good, and CERTAINLY no other beverage is as healthy and necessary for bodily function and good health.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I don't drink the 8 cups a day. I get most of mine from black coffee. Its too cold for me to drink water :O

I remember reading an article saying that coffee could be counted as water xD
  • felicity866
    Options
    water flushes your system out completely.....keeps the kidneys functioning the way they should!...and keeps you hydrated.

all in all a very good thing....the caffiene in your coffee does the opposite and can dehydrate you (so not too much) I struggle with the water thing too but it is worth perservering. I can manage 5-6 glasses per day, whereas I coud drink 2 litres of coke without blinking....i have given it up completely and it is a HUGE struggle.

good luck with the change over
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Not everything we do for health is what we would "prefer" to do. That is a simple truth that so many never face. Your body MUST have water, whether you 'like' it or not. Learn to drink it anyway. If you're like most people, once you have developed the habit of drinking it, you will find that nothing else tastes as good, and CERTAINLY no other beverage is as healthy and necessary for bodily function and good health.

Well said
  • amymaria91
    Options
    I asked the same question about water, why it helps in weight loss. This is my post:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/381221-water-how-does-it-help

Someone gave me a really scientific answer which helped me, hope it helps you too!

Also, I can't stand the taste of water so I add a little dilute juice. I make myself down a glass every now and then, I wouldn't drink enough if I sipped it all day
  • ACook42
    ACook42 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    You can drink green tea... I do drink my water but if I get bored I buy the Lipton Diet green tea 0 everything except sodium :frown:
    But it does get you through that I can't drink one more sip of water feeling. Water IS very important to help flush your body and hydrate you. Very important during workout sessions. Good luck with this, you can also drink crystal light to help you through as well but don't rely on these for all your water intake.
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    The only thing that can really be counted as water is water. Everything else is filtered differently and doesn't do the same job as water does in your body.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    The only thing that can really be counted as water is water. Everything else is filtered differently and doesn't do the same job as water does in your body.

Stop giving bad advice.

Tea/Coffee/Juice/Milk/Soda etc are all mostly water, and as such will hydrate you just fine. The 8x8 is just a stupid myth that is perpetually recycled by sheep. You need on average 8 cups of fluid a day, much of which will come from your food anyway.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/jul/13/myth-eight-glasses-water-day

http://junkfoodscience.blogspot.com/2008/07/wellness-water-8x8-myth.html

http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2010/12/08/the-myth-behind-drinking-8-glasses-of-water-a-day/

http://www.divinecaroline.com/22178/46361-coffee-makes-dehydrated-say-what
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    There you are HMonsterX! I was waiting :D
  • HMonsterX
    Options
    There you are HMonsterX! I was waiting :D

I just can't help myself, you know me! ;)
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Try drinking all your water in those things listed and see how your health is in a year.
    It isn't bad advice. It is advice that is not wanted to be taken by people who are too immature to do what they need to do for their bodies. If you want to be healthy, do healthy things.
  • HMonsterX
    Options
    Try drinking all your water in those things listed and see how your health is in a year.
    It isn't bad advice. It is advice that is not wanted to be taken by people who are too immature to do what they need to do for their bodies. If you want to be healthy, do healthy things.

I haven't had pure water in years, and I've never felt fitter/stronger/healthier. The advice was nothing else can really be counted as water, when in fact all those things have a very, very high water content and will hydrate you just fine. Many people never drink neat water. The myth about water misses out many important things. Your body easily gets the water from any fluid or water-dense foodstuff. People are now brainwashed into thinking they HAVE to drink neat water, when it simply isn't true.
  • melanie_J
    melanie_J Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hydration, optimal body performance, clean skin, cleanse your body of toxins...Should I continue?

I've been drinking 8+ cups of water a day and it has done nothing for my skin! But yes, the rest is true for me. I guess it affects everyone differently.

Edited to add: HOLY HOT HELL!! Those are some abs you've got there, lol
  • sgtlittle
    sgtlittle Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Coffee is a diuretic and will dehydrate you if you get too much. Yes, coffee is mostly water, but the dehydrating effect pushes more water out than you take in. You must have water to digest food, reduce hunger cravings, and cleanse the body of harmful toxins.
  • Jess5825
    Jess5825 Posts: 228
    Options
    If it wasn't for wyler's light flavor packets I would not get my daily allotment of water. The only time I drink plain water is when I'm working out. But when I flavor my water, I drink at probably around 160 oz per day.

And since coffee has caffeine it doesn't count as water since it's a diuretic. So I was told actually for every 8 oz of caffeinated beverage you drink, you should drink at least an extra 8 oz of water.