That empty pit

Options
I like to think I eat fairly healthy. I have days where I eat junk but for the most part, I cook from scratch, am trying to give up sugar and white flour and limiting all bread products. Like I said, some days are better than others but I am much better than I used to be. But I still eat too much. I am always hungry but I can fight it by popping gum into my mouth constantly (only at work though since my husband thinks gum chewing is DISGUSTING) or staying super busy. But the moment I start eating, I can't stop. If my meal doesn't end in me feeling bloated and sick, my stomach feels so empty. This morning I ate a 2-egg omlet with some sauerkraut, cilantro and red peppers wrapped in lettuce leaves. I was still starving so had a banana. My stomach still feels empty. Does everyone feel this way or just a lucky few?

Replies

• bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Drink some tea! I don't let myself get hungry like that, I eat every couple hours, just make sure it is healthy.
  • livontuesday
    livontuesday Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You can also switch it up by adding more fiber to your diet. Fiber is what makes you feel full and stays with you the longest/
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I get the same thing. Lately I've been having some success pounding tons of water before and after I eat. Someone here said that when she wants to eat, she does some testing beforehand to see if she is really in need of food. Chew a piece of gum (you do that already), drink water. Half the time thirst can disguise itself as hunger.

Remember to WAIT after a meal before eating more. Wait at least 20 minutes for your satiety hormone to kick in, and drink that water - that will help boost the fiber (which another poster suggested).

Did you count the cals for the meal? It may truly have been too small, depending on how often you're eating. I've found that keeping meals around of just under 300 calories is fine as long as you're eating around every three hours.

As always, your mileage may vary...

Oh and sucking on a whole clove is a great way to kill a mouth craving.
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough if you're starving soon after. Eat more eggs and add more fats...maybe add in some meats to your omelette and use some fats to cook it.