SUGARS!!!!

Options
Ok now that I have everyone's attention, I am wondering if the fact that I go over on my sugars could be the reason that I am not losing any weight. I don't mean that I eat candy and drink soda and suggary juice drinks-Because I don't. I usually get my sugars from my greek style yogurt and fruit. But it seems to always bump me over. I just now realized this when I changed my settings. I do like to have a frozen yogurt here and there, but could this really be the culprit?

My sugar addiction comes in the form of mini chocolate treats that are in jars all around the offices and classrooms where I teach. And I can't resist them! I just love chocolate whe I at work teaching. It soothes my stress levels and makes me feel better. I don't eat more than one or tow pieces a day and I always log the calories... WHAT GIVES? Could this really be the problem?:sad: Throoughly irritated and discouraged...

Replies

• mmackie
    mmackie Posts: 93
    Options
    Ok now that I have everyone's attention, I am wondering if the fact that I go over on my sugars could be the reason that I am not losing any weight. I don't mean that I eat candy and drink soda and suggary juice drinks-Because I don't. I usually get my sugars from my greek style yogurt and fruit. But it seems to always bump me over. I just now realized this when I changed my settings. I do like to have a frozen yogurt here and there, but could this really be the culprit?

My sugar addiction comes in the form of mini chocolate treats that are in jars all around the offices and classrooms where I teach. And I can't resist them! I just love chocolate whe I at work teaching. It soothes my stress levels and makes me feel better. I don't eat more than one or tow pieces a day and I always log the calories... WHAT GIVES? Could this really be the problem?:sad: Throoughly irritated and discouraged...
  • PinkShoes
    PinkShoes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    Thanks for posting this subjectbecause the same thing happens to me!
    I'm over on my sugars much of the time...and it's always because of healthy things like fruit. It's so frustrating! However, I do know that natural, unrefined sugars like those from fruits, vegetables, whole grain breads and pastas, etc. do digest much slower than white, refined sugars...so they are healthier and won't make you gain weight as quickly as white sugars.
    I don't know if that would be the reason you aren't losing weight though. I don't know how much you are working out but maybe you need to up that? Or maybe you even need to eat more...especially if you are working out a lot. I've read that when your body doesn't get enough calories for what it is burning, it will start storing fat to try and protect us from starvation. Human bodies did this hundreds of years ago to prepare themselves from going into "starvation" during winter months when the food supply was lower. However, this doesn't apply to most of us today, but our bodies still react to it.

Also...
    I know what you mean about chocolate...I love it too! Something that I try when I have a sweet craving is drinking a cup of a fruity or vanilla tea...this seems to help. :smile:

133914.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    What do you mean that you noticed it when you changed your settings (just out of curiousity). Is there a setting that depicts how much sugar you are taking in?

I often wonder if sugar is my culprit as well and even though I track fat, protein and carbs, I'm also curious about sugar levels. For me it's not chocolate but GUMMI things. I love them!
  • bathedinshadow
    bathedinshadow Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    What do you mean that you noticed it when you changed your settings (just out of curiousity). Is there a setting that depicts how much sugar you are taking in?

I often wonder if sugar is my culprit as well and even though I track fat, protein and carbs, I'm also curious about sugar levels. For me it's not chocolate but GUMMI things. I love them!

Yes... if you click on your "food" tab and then the "settings" sub tab, there is an option to change which 6 nutrients (fat, sugar, iron, etc...) you monitor on you main food page.
  • wanderinglight
    Options
    How cool! That option must have been added while I was gone. Thanks for the tip!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I tend to doubt it. Especially if it's natural sugar. I mean, it would have to be a LOT of sugar in a small time period. Fruit tends to force fructose to take longer to digest and thus it is spread out through time.

More likely the fact that you are only looking to lose 15 lbs is the reason. By that I mean, are you being reasonable in your deficit (people near goal tend to try to create a large deficit, thereby sabotaging their progress) or by over extending themselves with exercise.

It takes a long time to lose the last few pounds, but if you aren't losing and it's been over a month, you probably have your gols/expectations incorrectly set.

Thats just MO, but I have seen a lot in the 20 months I have been a member of MFP, and most people plateau because they were trying to do to much to fast.
  • wanderinglight
    Options
    Now that I've put this on my food report, I'm noticing that I'm over on my sugar almost every day. I'm allotted about 50g and I go over that just eating a banana, baby carrots and a cup of milk!

I'm going to start paying more attention to this. I know that the fruit sugars are the "good" sugars but the fact that I'm over every day might mean something.
  • susanbk53
    susanbk53 Posts: 13
    Options
    Sugar adds those calories so easily, especially with the little candies, that you don't even realize it. Keep some sugar free hard candies in your desk, or even in your pocket, so you won't be tempted to grab one from someone else. Stay away from the 'Sugar-Free' chocolates, because even though they have no sugar, they have plenty of FAT!
    As for the Greek Yogurt, buy the plain stuff and put some Splenda or something in it. One of my regular breakfasts is 1/2 cup Greek Fat Free Plain Yogurt, 1/2 cup of Organic Low Fat Plain Yogurt, and 1/4 cup of Kashi Summer Berry or Mountain Medley granola. Into that I mix up one packet of Splenda, and it's nice and tasty!
    If you just want yogurt and fruit, but the mixture isn't sweet enough , add a little Splenda, and it tastes great.
  • bugmagnt
    bugmagnt Posts: 150
    Options
    I, too, crave sugar and chocolate... but I am actively trying to increase my fruits and vegetables and don't worry about the natural sugars in that... I am concerned about all the processed sugars. So, I'd just recommend watching out for those. Like another person, here, I find a cup of raspberry green tea (or something similar) helps with the craving. Also good to unwind with a hot cup of tea after a day of teaching!