Protein Shakes Question..

Options
Kind of a dumb question, but Im not too educated on protein shakes. I drink one every morning after my workout, but is it beneficial to also drink as a snack in the evening or just randomly during the day?? Or only drink one after a workout?

Help would be appreciated, thanks! :)

Replies

• drivermarshy
    Options
    im no expert but after using protein shakes for about 3 months i find i get best results by having one shake after a workout and one shake with soya milk before bed... i did have one before a workout but found i didnt really need it as my diet is protein high already :)
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Protein shakes are useful tools to hit your protein goals :]

So they are okay to drink whenever. I prefer a more filling & slower digesting for a snack personally. But you can have them whenever ^-^
  • xBeautifulBreakdown
    Options
    My friend is a Personal Trainer and he told me to drink one if I get hungry or want to snack at night time, it will fill you up and keep you from eating junk food.
  • Des92
    Des92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is "right," but I sometimes drink them for breakfast or as a snack at night if my day needs more protein. Curious to see what others say though!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    protein shakes are great if you cannot get enough protein eating "real food". So if you are under your protein goal then it would be beneficial to add one, if you cannot add more food that would help your reach the goal.
  • vlm1984
    vlm1984 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    you can drink them as meal replacements as well but if you are drinking them as snack watch the calorie intake in them.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are a quality supliment and good for anytime you need.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Just account for them and drink up. IMO, the only drawback is some of the noxious gas you produce.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I drink them to fill in where I'm not getting protein from whole foods. I prefer to eat my protein vs. drink it but sometimes it's a matter of necessity or convenience.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    it would depend on "why" you are drinking the shake. :)

But yes they can be beneficial anytime of day - depending on what you are trying to do.

I often have up to three a day, as I am focusing on muscle building, and need to up my protein levels. Its hard for me to get enough for my needs on "foods only" - so the shakes adds extra protein for me, when I am short for the day.

I find I also have more consistent weight loss, when my protein levels are on the higher end. So for me, its needed to maintain my muscle, loss some body fat, and ultimately assist with muscle building. I workout very heavily, 6 days a week, usually burning 600-1500 cal in my workouts.
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    after a workout is great because that is when your muscles really need it... but any time of day is great also. whenever you feel like snacking, have a protein shake instead of junk.
  • lrod2323
    Options
    Great Feedback thanks!! Yeah I dont workout out heavily, but Im trying to build up muscle and get more toned, especially in the arms!
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Breakfast more days than not here. Enjoy them and good nutritional start to the day. After working out as well for me. Do well with the routine.
  • Tmbrooks75
    Tmbrooks75 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Not to hijack this thread too much but whats a good protein shake that doesnt add a lot of calories to your day?
  • lrod2323
    Options
    Not to hijack this thread too much but whats a good protein shake that doesnt add a lot of calories to your day?

Thats a good question!
  • karinaes
    Options
  • karinaes
    Options
    REVIEWS:
    "Great taste!
    Reviewed by Vitamin Shoppe Customer on 2/18/11 9:31 AM

Pros: Price, Quality, Value, Satisfaction,

Great tasting and mixes extremely well! I could drink this "just because". The banana flavored powder is so good, I'm not sure if I want to keep getting it or try other flavors.The only problem I had was the scoop was down deep - at first I thought it was missing. But after digging for 5 minutes I eventually excavated it out. That's really a minor issue though, I really like this protein powder.

Was this review helpful? Yes No 0 out of 1 people found this review helpful.

View/Comment On Review | Report This Review

Dymatize Elite Banana
    Reviewed by b2sdad on 10/19/10 4:31 PM

Pros: Price, Quality, Value, Satisfaction, Convenience

Tastes great, mixes very well with water. Very low sugar,which is important to me because i am a diabetic! Great value! Excellent product!

LtDave
    Reviewed by Vitamin Shoppe Customer on 5/28/10 10:46 PM

Pros: Price, Quality, Satisfaction, Convenience

I have tried many different protein powders and this is by far the best. Mixes very well. I have also tried the chocolate and the banana tastes so much better."
  • Tmbrooks75
    Tmbrooks75 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Can you buy single servings of this stuff? I would hate to spend 47 bucks only to find out I cant stand the taste.
  • lrod2323
    Options
    REVIEWS:
    "Great taste!
    Reviewed by Vitamin Shoppe Customer on 2/18/11 9:31 AM

Pros: Price, Quality, Value, Satisfaction,

Great tasting and mixes extremely well! I could drink this "just because". The banana flavored powder is so good, I'm not sure if I want to keep getting it or try other flavors.The only problem I had was the scoop was down deep - at first I thought it was missing. But after digging for 5 minutes I eventually excavated it out. That's really a minor issue though, I really like this protein powder.

Dymatize Elite Banana
    Reviewed by b2sdad on 10/19/10 4:31 PM

Pros: Price, Quality, Value, Satisfaction, Convenience

Tastes great, mixes very well with water. Very low sugar,which is important to me because i am a diabetic! Great value! Excellent product!

LtDave
    Reviewed by Vitamin Shoppe Customer on 5/28/10 10:46 PM

Pros: Price, Quality, Satisfaction, Convenience

I have tried many different protein powders and this is by far the best. Mixes very well. I have also tried the chocolate and the banana tastes so much better."

Great Info!!! Thanks!
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Back to the OP's question. I typically drink 2 servings of Whey powder (usually together in a single drink) at some point shortly after my workout. Whey is a fast digesting protein and is great for recovery after activity. Then before I go to bed each night, I also have a Casein protein drink. Casein is a slower digesting protein and drinking it before bed ensures that my body will have a solid protein store overnight as it works on muscle recovery and replenishment. I forget where, but I read a few articles a while back that suggested an approach similar to this. I've been happy with the results so far.