Soy beans..

Options
VballLeash
VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
Are soy beans good for you? I always thought they were like zero calories until one of the moms of the girls I coach and I were looking at the back and it said 120 calories for 5! I was freaking out a little haha so my question is is that with the stem? I only eat the bean part. Thanks!!!

~Leash

Replies

• VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Are soy beans good for you? I always thought they were like zero calories until one of the moms of the girls I coach and I were looking at the back and it said 120 calories for 5! I was freaking out a little haha so my question is is that with the stem? I only eat the bean part. Thanks!!!

~Leash
  • lizbeth787
    lizbeth787 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Here's an article I found online...

Soybeans
    Diet Nutrition

Soybeans are one of the few plant sources of complete protein with all eight essential amino acids. Soybeans also contain phyto-estrogens (oestrogens) which help to reduce menopause symptoms and may help prevent breast cancer and osteoporosis.

Like most beans, soybeans are rich in the best sort of fiber - soluble fiber - which helps to eliminate cholesterol from the body. They are a useful source of folate, vitamin B3, vitamin B6, vitamin E, magnesium, potassium, iron, copper, phosphorous and manganese.

To avoid flatulence introduce beans gradually into your diet. In addition, to avoid indigestion when using dried beans, follow cooking instructions carefully, as most beans require several hours soaking in order to destroy the bean toxin lectin. If using canned beans, please note that most varieties are canned in a salt solution, so rinse well before using.

Calories in Soybeans:
    1 cup cooked = 297 calories

http://www.annecollins.com/diet_foods/soybeans.htm
  • susanbk53
    susanbk53 Posts: 13
    Options
    Buy already shelled soybeans, (edamame), in the frozen veggies section of your grocery store. They have some fat, that's why they're higher in calories, but you can have 1/2 cup with some other veggies, or mix with some brown rice. They look kinda like lima beans, but are not starchy.