Food at the Movies

Options
My boyfriend has been itching to go to a movie with me and tonight's the night. We'll probably see "In Time" or "Tower Heist" ;).

Part of the movie going experience for me is having a nice snack to munch on while I watch. The problem is, theater popcorn is hardly good for you.

http://www.cspinet.org/new/200911182.html
http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/news/20091119/movie-theater-popcorn-a-calorie-bomb

If I indulged in a bag, even sharing with the boyfriend, I'd about bust my entire daily allotted calories! So I'll be bringing some of my own homemade popcorn, and bottled water in my bag. I might even splurge and buy a box of Mike and Ike, if I can "afford" it.

What do you do when you go the movies? Do you eat from the concession or bring your own goodies?

Replies

• lynnmarie60
    Options
    I definitely bring my own goodies; not only for my health but to save cash.

Things I bring:

Water (ask for a cup of ice at the concession stand)
    homemade reduced fat popcorn (little bag, about a cup)
    Skinny cow snacks (chocolates)
    gum
  • xBeautifulBreakdown
    Options
    I like to go to the movies alone, I will order a small popcorn without butter and only have them fill it halfway so I don't eat the whole bag. Popcorn is expensive though so I usually only order it when I have Regal coupons for $2 then I don't feel bad for only getting half of a small bag for $6 haha
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Have you ever gotten kicked out of the theater for doing this?
  • adezeray
    adezeray Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    They have a healthy snack pack at AMC that I get it contains dry fruit, granola bar, baked popcorn chips. The popcorn was good, and water I of course do not eat everything. I also think that it's always best to bring a snack for yourself so that you don't fall into that craving while there.
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I skip dinner (baaaaad) and have pick n mix or popcorn instead! :) I'm lucky enough that where I live movie popcorn is air-popped so the calorie count is still reasonable.
  • nkziv
    nkziv Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I've gotten out of the habit of movie-eating. It's not an integral part of the moviegoing experience for me anymore! It's really not that hard. Just go watch and enjoy. Eat dinner later.
  • _CowgirlUp_
    _CowgirlUp_ Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I don't obsess over this lifestyle change...I don't go very often but when I do, I enjoy the movie, indulge in that horrible popcorn and enjoy every minute of it then the next day I drink a ton of water and get back with the program. It makes it so much more enjoyable.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I don't munch on anything at the movies. I don't see any point in wasting calories on that type of food.
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Ha ! I am a Movie Guru ! I go every week, sooooooo .... I pop my 100 cal kettle korn, take 4 pieces of dove dark chocolate and 1 twizzler ( sometimes 2, depending on my allowance ) and put it all in my purse ! Oh yeah, and 2 bottles of H2O ! :)
  • krysydawn
    krysydawn Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I love to bring my own goodies... But I also love to buy them there. Its so hard.
    I remember one of the last times we went to the movies... Hubby wanted me to
    carry KFC in my purse... I looked at him and said very frankly... "I love you, but I
    refuse to be the fat lady that smells like fried chicken in the movie theater".. lmfao.. :D
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    I always alot calories before I watch a movie. Then I have 2 hotdogs, tray of nachos with cheese, and candy. Oh of course with a diet coke too to save on some calories..........................................
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I eat a small popcorn without butter. I don't care if I'm over a bit for the day. I'll drink extra water and maybe exercise a little more. Nah, I probably wouldn't exercise more. I just wouldn't make a habit of eating movie theater popcorn every week.
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I've smuggled in... Carrot sticks, apple slices, chocolate raisins, dried apricots - raw almonds - dried cranberries mixed in a little snack size zippie bag. Not all to the same movie, different movies, different times... :wink:

Back years ago my friend took in an entire grocery bag full of home-popped corn... with two cans of soda in her coat! that was hilarious and huge!
  • sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I take my big purse, pop light popcorn @ home and get a bottle of diet coke or water and put it in my purse. I wait to break it out when the lights dim and the movie starts. I havn't been caught yet...
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    I get the kid's pack. It's awesome and a pretty good $$ deal.
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    I carry the biggest coach purse I have and bring my own water, I have raisins, fruit, etc. Bring your own healthy snacks! It's beneficial and saves you money! :)
  • cottonpunk
    cottonpunk Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My theater does not have a policy against carrying in foods. I have walked right in and set an outside drink on the counter while I paid for my tickets and they don't care. It is a Goodrich Quality Theater www.gqti.com Maybe you can find one near you?
  • Liluth
    Liluth Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Have you ever gotten kicked out of the theater for doing this?

For bringing my own snacks? I've heard that it's frowned upon, but I've never had an usher bust me for having my own ziploc bags. Everything is hidden in my purse when I enter and I take it out when the lights dim. It's what my Mom always did ;).
  • polar135
    polar135 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    +1 for this-
    I definitely bring my own goodies; not only for my health but to save cash.

Things I bring:

Water (ask for a cup of ice at the concession stand)
    homemade reduced fat popcorn (little bag, about a cup)
    Skinny cow snacks (chocolates)
    gum
  • gleechick609
    Options
    I do not bring food in anymore. I look at it as "mindless eating" because I am really not hungry while watching the movie!