Tendonitis?

Options
For about 2 weeks now my right arm has been hurting me pretty bad. My Mom says it's tendonitis. The pain isn't constant, but only when I move my arm a certain way or pick something up, etc. I've been taking generic Aleve for a few days and not using my weights when I do my workouts (mostly Leslie Sansome). What else can I do or should I not be doing? I am getting very anxious to get back to using my weights. Thank you in advance!

Replies

• peteb79
    peteb79 Posts: 386
    Options
    I have tendonitis in my ankle and it sucks.. mine is reoccurring and hits me about 2-3 times a year.. my current symptoms have been ongoing for 3 weeks!.. it's the longest it's ever lasted and it is very discouraging and frustrating.

I wish i had more to offer, but all I do is take my ibuprofen and try to rest it and wait it out.
  • galaxyfun1
    Options
    I developed tendonitis after picking up my friends toddler in an awkward way and it took a couple of months to heal as the tendons are very delicate. I suggest you have a talk to your doctor about it if it goes on for more than a few days. I bought a support strap that places pressure on the tendon and relieves the tension when I am using the arm. It made a huge difference.
    Hope this helps
    M
  • dia77
    dia77 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    See a physiotherapist. They will fix you in 2 weeks or so.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Is it your elbow? Honestly there isn't much you can do for tendinitis. Rest, Aleve, pretty much it. You can buy a tennis elbow support, but I would definitely rest it for at least a couple weeks before going back to the weights, as tendinitis is an overuse injury, so continuing to use it will never let it heal.
  • MayaNelson
    Options
    I have chronic tendonitis in my elbow aka Tennis Elbow.

I purchased an support at my local drugstore - Ace bandage with a little air-pillow support. It's just a simple band that I wear just below my elbow, with the air-pillow over the point where the pain originates. I wear this whenever I am going to be lifitng any sort of heavy weight (could even just be a gallon of milk!) Also after I workout I am very diligent about icing my elbow. That really helps too!

Take Care - don't over stress it! Once I did that and I was in so much pain I had to get cortizone injections into my elbow!
  • babalee
    babalee Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Would it be possible for you to see your primary care provider? If so, maybe he/she could refer you to a physical therapist. The script to the PT should read, "Evaluate and treat". I have had good results from various injuries when treated by a physical therapist or occupational therapist.

>little known fact< Oddly enough, when talking about a "tendon" the word is spelled "tendon" but, if you have an inflammation of a tendon, the condition is called, "tendinitis". Isn't that weird? t e n d i n i t i s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tendinitis

although, nowadays, either spelling is acceptable.