athlete's foot?

Options
okay... this is kind of gross but i need help and i'm just gonna lay it all out there. due to working out and sweating in my shoes, not to mention walking around changerooms at school without shoes (i've learned my lesson, don't worry.), i've got athlete's foot. it painful and itchy and causes me to scratch my feet until i bleed. GROSS. i've been trying to get rid of it like crazy, using cream and stuff but really, i just need it gone. and i'm sure i'm not the only one with this problem, so if any of you know miracle cures or even just anything to help, please lemmek know. thanks.

Replies

• cawood2
    cawood2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I've known a few people who swear by tea tree oil. Said it worked better than anything else they'd tried (including prescriptions to treat it)
  • syiyi
    syiyi Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    buy clomatrizole at walgreens and use it in the morning and at night. IT should be gone in a week. I had it once and i know how bad it is. :/ good luck.
  • alisatomp
    alisatomp Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    try soaking your feet with warm water and vinegar before you shower everyday
  • Mamapengu
    Mamapengu Posts: 250
    Options
    I've treated a lot of this... Lotrimin is probably the best over the counter med, but you also need to be sure you don't re-infect yourself or others over and over- at home and the gym where flip flops, wash and dry and keep your feet dry. Gold bond powder before you exercise. And make sure your shoes and socks are kept clean and dry. Finally, continue to treat for at least 2 weeks after you don't see any infection
  • brosehemian
    brosehemian Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    have't heard of the tea tree oil yet. if all else fails, i'll turned to that.
  • sarvissa
    sarvissa Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Tea tree creme works wonders, it is a natural anti-fungal and antiseptic. I've fought AF for years, would have little to no success with lotriman. By putting tea tree creme on my feet twice a day (morning and night), I've been able to get rid of it. Once any active outbreak is gone, putting it on just once a day before bed keeps it gone.
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I've known a few people who swear by tea tree oil. Said it worked better than anything else they'd tried (including prescriptions to treat it)

I have heard this too.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Considering I live with someone who's treating a bout of this now...

1. Burow's solution. You can buy it at some drugstores but it's readily available online. Dilute a solution of this in water and soak your feet in it 1-2x / day. This acts as an astringent to dry any opened sores / patches of AF. A cheaper alternative, though not quite as good, IMO, is an epsom soak. You can also apply a compress of Burow's if you're short on time to clean the area.

2. Lotrimin cream. After cleaning the affected area or soaking your foot in the solution above, dry the area, and apply the cream. Allow the cream to dry - don't cover your feet if possible, if you need to wear full shoes, be sure to wear fresh, clean socks. It's also helpful to buy the anti-fungal spray or foot powder for your shoes, also, to inhibit fungus growth.

3. Wear sandals. Allows the area to stay dry and heal faster. Always wear clean socks, dry shoes. Avoid wet shoes and keep the affected area as clean and dry as possible at all times.

4. DON'T SCRATCH AT IT. If it gets really really annoying, pop a bag of ice on the area OR soak your feet in the astringent mentioned in #1.
  • ehedges31
    ehedges31 Posts: 72
    Options
    pee on your foot in the shower gross i know
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    pee on your foot in the shower gross i know

Nope, sorry, not enough urea in urine to combat the problem. It's not going to hurt your feet, grossness aside, but it's not going to do much of anything to cure Athlete's foot.

You still need anti-fungal treatment.
  • juliabirmingham
    Options
    i too had the same problem, i used to walk around the house barefooted until i had athlete's foot. it itched so hard, i couldnt scratch it beacuse im ticklish.haha anyway, i consulted a doctor and she gave me Fungusil. it works big time trust me! i got rid of my athletes foot in just about ten days i think. i started wearing slippers at home too, so i dont have to suffer from the itch again.
  • jean1058
    jean1058 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Did it go away? What did you end up using to treat it?
  • ameerah77
    ameerah77 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Tea tree oil or vinegar. You can use distilled vinegar mixed with water and spray on feet, and between toes 2 x a day. Good luck.