Weight loss fluctuations

Options
All though currently new to weight loss with Myfitnesspal.com, I find it very discouraging when I lose pounds and then the next morning, 1-2 of them are back. I lost those pounds fair and square! I found that I would drink one can of diet pop and then next morning, I magically gained 2 pounds. So, I blamed the sodium. Last night I didnt have the chance to cook, so I went to Burger King. Bad choice yes, but I had over 600 calories I needed to use. I got a Junior Whopper, apple fries and a diet coke. Then this morning I gained a pound. I still had 100 calories I needed to use that I never did, so what the heck man!!! I dont get it. Not yet anyway. It's just tough to feel like you're working so hard and then with the choice of one food or drink, it becomes 3 steps forward and two steps back. UGH!

Replies

• Luvmysixpack
    Options
    Why dont you try weighing once a week and see what happens?
  • mssgirl11
    mssgirl11 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    bump
  • drpurl
    drpurl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I would only do it once a week. I get pissed at myself when I step on it every day, puts me in a bad mood.
  • ajfrench
    ajfrench Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I've been having this problem lately and let me tell you, I've been upset to the point of tears. But in your case, I'll bet it is the amount of sodium you're ingesting.
  • AprilEC
    AprilEC Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    @Luvmysixpack- that is my plan! I decided every Friday I will do a weigh in and do my measurments. Sometimes its hard not to weigh yourself everyday when you see that you are finally starting to lose weight. That tends to be a motivator for me, but not anymore! I can't take it!
  • brianandmarlene2
    Options
    I'm the same way! I've been fluctuating between 1.5 lbs the last few days. I'm going to try to weigh only once a week. But its very discouraging.
  • brasslady1
    Options
    What does it mean when someone replys "bump"?
  • jram70
    jram70 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday first thing in the morning. My weight fluctuates up and down too as does everybody's. However, that is one of the points of MFP is to keep track of the progress over the long term not daily. All I worry about is whether the weight my 1-2 pound fluctuation occurs at is continuing to go down.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Those fluctuations are natural and unavoidable. If you're going to get upset about it then you really shouldn't weigh yourself every day. I don't bother weighing myself the day after eating a lot of junk because I know it's going to be inaccurate.
  • brasslady1
    Options
    I can relate to this very much.....I've been doing great ...exercising...counting my calories....but like so I was weighing every day....so frustrating....my clothes were fitting really nice and loose and I felt like I had really had a nice loss.......got on the scale and it was up...kind of gets you depressed and you think what the heck.....Well I just put my scale in the closet.......not going to weigh for a while....
  • AprilEC
    Options
    @brasslady1- I was wondering the same thing. I could take it a lot of different ways but I'm going to chose just to not understand it!
  • Dinah22
    Dinah22 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    bump

I think it keep the post near the top of the pile, but the original poster will perhaps explain it better than me!
  • trishlambert
    trishlambert Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily because I have the fortitude to accept the sawtooth pattern in my weight loss. I can eat exactly the same or less one day and end up 1-2 pounds up the next morning. Mysterious, but it is was it is.

The good news is that my sawtooth pattern has an overall downward trend to it!!! And I find it very interesting, frankly. There's more going on in our bodies than just reactions from salt intake...I think the system has adjustments it has to make to itself, and the fluctuations are somehow part of those adjustments.

So my two cents: Don't worry about it and keeping doing what you know is right. The number may go up and down, but if the general trend is down you are good to go. On the other hand, if you find that you have a bad reaction when the numbers go up, and frustration and other negative stuff comes up, then do what others have suggested and only weigh once a week or at least every 3-4 days.No need to stress yourself unnecessarily!!!
  • auroradawn219
    Options
    I've encountered the same frustrations over the past month. As an alternative to stepping on the scale every day, I've begun monitoring my "NSVs" more closely - that is, the "non-scale victories". I pay more attention to the progress of my strength-training, better balance, improved flexibility, endurance, better jogging time... You can find something positive in every day, even if it's nothing more than noting you stayed within your calorie count or the satisfaction you worked out even when you didn't want to. I would recommend weighing every 2 weeks at most. It's still a challenge for me not to jump on that scale every morning, but the mental payoff to maintain a positive outlook is definitely worth it.
  • FieryVixsin
    FieryVixsin Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    It just means someone is posting on your thread just to get it back to the top of the list so others might have a better chance to see it. It's nothing bad.
  • kathylynn8
    kathylynn8 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have been using MFP since June and have lost 25 pounds... I have learned that it isn't always how many calories you eat, but what kind of calories they are. In August/ September I stopped losing for a while and my daughter just came home to visit for 3 weeks and made me realize that if I had any calories leftover, I would eat a cookie or some other treat (SUGAR) and that's why I wasn't losing. Now if I need more calories, I eat a homemade whole grain granola bar, an apple with peanut butter or some grilled chicken, or something healthy and no bad carbs! Since she has been home, I have lost 6 pounds!! SO I guess she was right. Counting calories is important, but I lose more if I eat GOOD calories. Hope this makes sense. :)
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    'bump' puts the thread at back at the top so it doesn't get buried and forgotten!

Hmmm.. yes, definitely discouraging! In my case I am eating low carb/low sugar after years of not knowing I have insulin resistance. So if I eat a lot of that stuff I am in trouble! Doesn't matter how many calories I eat - if I'm eating too much sugar my body weight will only move UP the scale. Maybe try to watch your carb intake?

Sodium could also be the culprit as others have said.

You would think that mathematically our bodies would drop the weight if we stay under a certain calorie limit but it can't be easy, right? ;)
  • AprilEC
    Options
    Thanks #Sexiparti
  • brookjodie
    brookjodie Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    The salt in those foods and the soda cause you to retain fluid so, if you drink a lot of liquid and you retain that the next morning it's just water weight. You can't gain fat that fast...
  • JOANIE69
    JOANIE69 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    i know excactly how you feel hun:happy: