Measuring Body Fat %

Options
Is there any way for me to measure my own body fat percentage? I know trainers and nutritionists etc use that little pinchy thing to measure body fat but I dont have that haha. Any ideas?

Replies

• katyk00
    katyk00 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    You can use a BIA (Bioelectrical Impedence Analysis) machine, it's what trainers at gyms will use too. You can by them online
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    With nothing more than a measuring tape (3 bucks) you can fill out your info here:

http://www.healthcentral.com/cholesterol/home-body-fat-test-2774-143.html (just one example of many websites you can try out)

and get a general idea. Having caliper analysis or a bod pod test done is much more accurate.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Buy a body fat scale or if you already have a scale, get the Omron Handheld Body fat monitor. Academy have them for around $30.00. I have a 6 year old body fat scale and 3 month old Omron Handheld body fat monitor and they both give me the same reading.

Do they let you know how much pounds of fat and lean body mass your gaining or losing?

Formula:

Weight x BF% = Pounds of fat
    Weight - Pounds of fat = Lean body mass.

If you need to know more, you can send me a message.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Buy a body fat scale or if you already have a scale, get the Omron Handheld Body fat monitor. Academy have them for around $30.00. I have a 6 year old body fat scale and 3 month old Omron Handheld body fat monitor and they both give me the same reading.

Do they let you know how much pounds of fat and lean body mass your gaining or losing?

Formula:

Weight x BF% = Pounds of fat
    Weight - Pounds of fat = Lean body mass.

If you need to know more, you can send me a message.

among other studies done on the accuracy of BIA scales

Changes in body composition during weight loss in obese subjects in the NUGENOB study: comparison of bioelectrical impedance vs. dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry.

Verdich C et al. Diabetes Metab. 2011 Jun;37(3):222-9.

"RESULTS:

At baseline, BIA significantly overestimated FFM and underestimated FM (by 1-3 kg on average) compared with DXA, and the limits of agreement were wide (mean ± 7-8.5 kg). "

A comparison of dual energy X-ray absorptiometry and bioelectrical impedance analysis to measure total and segmental body composition in healthy young adults.

Lehy S et al. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2011 May 26

"BIA was found to underestimate the percentage total body fat in men and women (p < 0.001). This underestimate increased in men with >24.6% body fat and women with >32% body fat (p < 0.001). Fat tissue mass in the trunk segment was overestimated by 2.1 kg (p < 0.001) in men and underestimated by 0.4 kg (p < 0.001) in women. BIA was also found to underestimate the fat free mass in the appendages by 1.0 kg (p < 0.001) in men and 0.9 kg (p < 0.001) in women. Compared to dual energy X-ray absorptiometry, bioelectrical impedance analysis underestimates the total body fat mass and overestimates fat free mass in healthy young adults."
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Most of the ways to measure body fat, unless you are going to a doctor, are not as accurate as we would like to believe them to be. That said, you should just pick a way that you can personally use consistently and watch for progression rather than the actual numbers.

One easy way to do this is the US Navy method. It might not be wholly accurate, but I don't care. I can consistently measure it this way and see how the numbers are changing from month to month.

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/library/blbodyfatcalculator.htm
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I love my scale and Omron handheld body fat monitor. They work for me.

Whatever a person feels comfortable with, they should use.
  • dancer77
    dancer77 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I use the Navy method as well. I don't believe its spot-on numbers wise, but it tracks progress!
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Buy some calipers. Find a friend. Do the 9 point test. Google and youtube will not let you fail.