Should I work UP to the Shred?

Options
(I'm new here, btw - hi! I'll try to be brief....if possible!)

I wandered across some info on the Shred, and found a bunch of results (most of them from this place), and was totally amazed.

I picked it up from Netflix to take a peek - intending to start it relatively soon - I had a couple of things to do that I didn't want to be sore for, and I wanted a week to get my sleep habits back on track so I could get up an hour earlier to do it.

I watched it and it seemed tough, but do-able...I had done three months of personal training at a gym about three years ago, and did a lot of these moves, so I know I *can* do it. (I saw no results in those three months, though - fiddled up and down with the same two pounds, clothes weren't fitting any better, though I didn't measure - only difference I ever saw was some slight toning in my arms, even though I never phoned it in. Decided it was too expensive in both money and time to continue.)

Anyway - A few days out from when I'd planned to start, I got sick - nasty cold that exhausted me for the first week, made me symptom-y for the second week, tired-while-recovering the third week, and now the fourth week I have a nasty cold sore...haven't had one for over two years, so you know my body's still not 100%. It really knocked me for a loop, and since I am basically at exercise-ground-zero, I didn't think it was a good time to start something so strenuous.

Also...two weeks ago I volunteered at my kid's school for their game night - I spent two hours fetching and re-setting plastic bowling pins. **I WAS IN PAIN FOR FOUR DAYS JUST FROM THAT.**

So....the cold stopped me from starting, but the hamstring agony from re-setting pins is what *really* scared the heck out of me for beginning the 30DS.

So my question is - given that I've been pretty sedentary for the past couple of years, do you think that I should do some kind of exercise for a few weeks just to work my way up and back into exercise, so the Shred doesn't kill me, ha ha? If so, what?

(Just for info - I used to figure skate, and swim, and be moderately athletic, but mommyhood flushed all that. I'm 5'1", and about 145, and my knees have been crackling more and more lately, though they have never given me pain. I'm concerned that if I just jump straight in, they *will*, though.)

Replies

• rockeraxXx
    Options
    I was 180 when I started my diet.....life style change. I felt way to heavy to do any Jillian Michael' s DVD's. I started lifting weights for a few weeks then eased myself to the 30DS. However....lost more weight lifting weights and some cardio then the DVD. I am going back to the weight lifting. Hope it helps :)
  • pittsblue99
    pittsblue99 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I say you should give it a try and see how you like it. My biggest issue with it is the jumping jacks - I am not really supposed to do them so I just substitute another cardio thing in place (punches typically). I have not done it properly because I do not always have time to (even though it is only 20 minutes) but I have noticed that I have lost some inches. Take it easy and don't push too hard too fast :) Good luck with your weight loss journey.
  • CurlyClare78
    Options
    I would say give it a go and listen to your body. She gives modifications - when I did it I sometimes did something else instead of the planks because I hurt my wrist half way through (not from exercise) and I still got good results.

Also have a day off every so often - I did it 30 times rather than every day for 30 days.

And make sure you're in the right position for the squats, a lot of people hurt their knees doing it so keep an eye on that.

Enjoy!! :happy:
  • Emwalker3406
    Emwalker3406 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    (I'm new here, btw - hi! I'll try to be brief....if possible!)

I wandered across some info on the Shred, and found a bunch of results (most of them from this place), and was totally amazed.

I picked it up from Netflix to take a peek - intending to start it relatively soon - I had a couple of things to do that I didn't want to be sore for, and I wanted a week to get my sleep habits back on track so I could get up an hour earlier to do it.

I watched it and it seemed tough, but do-able...I had done three months of personal training at a gym about three years ago, and did a lot of these moves, so I know I *can* do it. (I saw no results in those three months, though - fiddled up and down with the same two pounds, clothes weren't fitting any better, though I didn't measure - only difference I ever saw was some slight toning in my arms, even though I never phoned it in. Decided it was too expensive in both money and time to continue.)

Anyway - A few days out from when I'd planned to start, I got sick - nasty cold that exhausted me for the first week, made me symptom-y for the second week, tired-while-recovering the third week, and now the fourth week I have a nasty cold sore...haven't had one for over two years, so you know my body's still not 100%. It really knocked me for a loop, and since I am basically at exercise-ground-zero, I didn't think it was a good time to start something so strenuous.

Also...two weeks ago I volunteered at my kid's school for their game night - I spent two hours fetching and re-setting plastic bowling pins. **I WAS IN PAIN FOR FOUR DAYS JUST FROM THAT.**

So....the cold stopped me from starting, but the hamstring agony from re-setting pins is what *really* scared the heck out of me for beginning the 30DS.

So my question is - given that I've been pretty sedentary for the past couple of years, do you think that I should do some kind of exercise for a few weeks just to work my way up and back into exercise, so the Shred doesn't kill me, ha ha? If so, what?

(Just for info - I used to figure skate, and swim, and be moderately athletic, but mommyhood flushed all that. I'm 5'1", and about 145, and my knees have been crackling more and more lately, though they have never given me pain. I'm concerned that if I just jump straight in, they *will*, though.)

I love jillian's workouts but you may want to try leslie sansone walk dvds first to get your muscles and cardio ready. Exercisetv.com has her 1&2 mile you can try for free and see what you think. Also walmart sells alot of leslie & jm dvds for just $9 best of luck.
  • Denise_Valentine
    Denise_Valentine Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    hi there! yes i suggest you work up to it. but just a few days of lighter excercises of the same veriety. definatly some stretches the first time i did the shred video i was sore everywhere for 3 or four days. walking upstairs hurt! i suggest doing the video but only doing a few reps of each move instead of constant like they do. this will warm up the right muscles. i'm now on day 11. haven't noticed any changes yet...

Good luck!
  • phatsoslim
    phatsoslim Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    You can start by walking every day or every other day, just to get your body going. Once you begin the 30 Day Shred, follow the beginner version, you can even do the moves with no weights to start.

The first 3 days will be the toughest and you may find that you want to quit...DON'T...stick with it and you will find yourself getting stronger and toned. You will be able to get through it. If you start with no weights, you may find by day 5 or 6 you might want to introduce them then. Make sure you take a rest day during each level or before you start the next level.

Have fun with it!

Just Shred It!

My profile picture is before and after the 30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30. I did both of these workouts in the summer of this year. First I did the 30 DS in about 35 days,June/July, rested for the weekend and then started Ri30 in about 35 days, August/September. I then did some other workouts for the rest of September and October and now I am doing the 30DS again. This time my goal is to completed by November 30th. In order to take my rest days I will double up some of the days.

And don't worry...I do some of the push ups from my knees too, once in while.
  • PippaJo_
    PippaJo_ Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    My profile picture is before and after the 30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30.

That's after two months of working out with Jillian?? Holy cow, that's amazing, you go, girl! Did you do anything else in addition to those DVDs?

Those are the kind of results I almost don't dare to dream of.
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I started the shred shortly after I started on here. I was only doing 30 minutes 3 times a week on the elliptical. I was also over 185 lbs when I started.

I did modify a lot and instead of weights I used 20 oz Coke Zero bottles (they weigh 1 lb 10 oz each). Also, I was SOOOOOO sore after the workout for about 5 days that I had to take a really hot shower just to be able to move but it got better.

I would tell you to just do it, follow the girl on the right and modify like crazy. I lost over 15" when I did it and I'm not an exerciser!!!
  • PippaJo_
    PippaJo_ Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    you may want to try leslie sansone walk dvds first to get your muscles and cardio ready.

Oh, that's a great idea. I'd forgotten about those - I had one old tape (dubbed from a library tape!) that I did while pregnant - I don't remember it being exhausting or anything, just nicely warming - that's probably a really good place to start. Thanks!
  • peaceinside
    Options
    My profile picture is before and after the 30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30.

That's after two months of working out with Jillian?? Holy cow, that's amazing, you go, girl! Did you do anything else in addition to those DVDs?

Those are the kind of results I almost don't dare to dream of.

AGREED!!!! WOW
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I would just jump right in and do it the best you can. You might not be able to do to everything at first, but it is amazing how quickly your body changes. As Jillian says,"I've got 400 pound people who can do jumping jacks-SO CAN YOU!"
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I'm 260 pounds and I've just finished Day 3. No working up to it either. Just do it and you'll get better quickly.

The first circuit is the hardest. Push through that and you can do it!