On body image: some of us are barbarians, some elves.

Options
(I wrote this as self motivation, but am posting it here to help others as well! I cross posted this on my personal blog at awesomeville.co.uk)

I was reading an article not too long ago on female bodies in Hollywood. It went on to describe a particular actress, small of stature and perfectly petite, as "elfin." I was taken aback at the choice of adjective, so much so I stopped reading to reflect. The word "elfin" conjures up a number of mental images that throwback to my early days of online gaming with Everquest: elves were short, slender, and beautiful in their perfectly pocket-sized proportions. I suppose then the word fit quite well with today's Hollywood femme fatales who, by need of the industry, are slender and beautiful, but always seem to be a bit on the shorter side as well. Then I got to thinking: if these women are to be likened to elves, what am I then, in using the same fantasy analogy?

Well, I guess that makes me a barbarian.

Within the last year I've spent a great deal of time reflecting on body image, as that needed just as much of my time and energy as losing weight and getting fit: physical fitness is only an illusion without the mental wellbeing of having a healthy body image to back it up. It's taken a long while (hell, I'm 26 years old... so 26 years?) to start developing a healthy image of my own body, and it started with the separation of what I could and could not change.

When I began, I knew I could change my weight, my body fat percentage, my level of physical fitness, my muscle strength and, most importantly, my mental outlook. What I wasn't going to be able to change, regardless of how hard I worked, was my five foot ten stature, my wide set hips and shoulders, and my general "size" as being bigger than most of my female peers. I could lose all the weight I wanted, but I was never going to be a "shorty" or "pocket-sized" or even "elfin."

It's only been recently I've begun to change, and not change the metrics in which I have to operate, but change how I feel about them. My goal weight is a number many women would cringe to see on a scale, my current weight even moreso. My wide hips and long legs mean I will more than likely never own a pair of jeans with a single digit size, and my t-shirts will forever be large, very occasionally medium, never small and certainly not extra-small. I will always be taller, broader, and overall "bigger" than most women... not all, but a good portion. And I am okay with it. No matter one's overall frame, physical fitness and a good looking body can be obtained, and the only measurement I need is how I feel when I look in the mirror; not a number on a scale that will always be a little on the higher side, nor the double digit number printed on the tag in my pants.

Besides, barbarians are pretty badass, and hey.... at least I'm not an ogre! ^_^

Replies

• jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    Very well said!
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    I think of myself as an Amazon personnally. I am 5'9 abd blessed with an hourglass shape so I will never be the willowy slender look thats in style. My (skinny) sister calls me Amazon as a term of affection. Think about it most were tall shapely tough women. just dont ask me to cut off my right breast lol
  • jaxdiablo
    Options
    Just remember that the ability to do this is best in life - To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their (wo)men. (Depending on your proclivities.)
  • ourgang
    ourgang Posts: 229
    Options
    love it!! it too stand almost 6 foot, and even at my thinnest, 145lbs I still wore a large shirt, sometimes xl.... often a size 12 jean, some 10's but they were snug :)

Great journey and enjoy
  • JRIV60
    JRIV60 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Great post and I am proud to see that will always be a barbarian. :D
  • AshleyLauren589
    AshleyLauren589 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Interesting perspective - thanks for the post! :smile:
  • UpToTheChallenge
    Options
    This is great! Thanks for sharing!

I am also a Barbarian, as I am 5'9" and I have an hourglass shape too. I will always have big hips, that my mom says "are great for child bearing" and no matter how much weight I lose that will remain, but I have become okay with that idea because I actually think curves are sexy, like J-Lo, Kim Kardashian, etc.
    It's all about embracing who you are!
  • hazelmae123
    hazelmae123 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Great message. On the other end of the height spectrum the view is still the same. Although only a whopping 5'3" I never had what you would describe as the "elfin" body type. Not only that but growing up in the seventies when stick thin began to gain popularity with "Twiggy" and straight feathered hair was the goal. I had curly hair and as I appoached my teen years a curvy body. Not the ideal in the age of "waif" models. The ideal was bone thin and no shape at all. I, in my small little package was big breasted, curly haired and definite hips and thighs. It has taken me years to accept that maybe being curvy is not a bad thing, and I have learned to use my curly hair as nature intended. I will never be a statuesque 5"10", I will never be able to wear a tank top without a bra, and I will never have sleek straight hair. But I am comfortable now saying I am a "shorty" or "little" or "small" and that is ok. I love my curls and my curves, I only now want to perfect them into the shapely figure I know I am capable of. I no longer desire that sleek twelve year old boy shape or the straight hair...although I still do secretly long for the height and frequent high heels.
  • STARSHINE1975
    Options
    I like my barbarian status. Warrior classes always drew me (after the hunter class, who doesn't want a bad *kitten* pet to control?). Strong is beautiful. That's not to say the agile elves are beautiful in their own right. I just love feeling strong and working with what I have. And the only way I fit into single digit pants is because of the level of spandex they put in them now. I'm fine with this. a number on a piece of clothing doesn't define me. If I feel good in them, then they are the perfect size for me.

Now I'm off to don my armor and slay some dragons!
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    thick, muscular girls will reign someday.....I am a proud barbarian, 5'4", with boobs, man shoulders, and muscles!!
  • IsisRosa
    IsisRosa Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Excellent post! I am also 5'10" and broad. My goal is to be a size 12. If I were to get down to single digit sizes, I would look skeletal. I don't even think it's possible, to be honest. I will never be Elfin but I will be slim and strong.

This reminds me of an episode of Buffy the Vampire where Buffy's ex comes back to fight a bad guy. He had gotten married and his wife was also a kick butt crime fighter. All through the series, I admired Buffy's thinness, but seeing her next to the ex's wife, she looked like a 9 year old boy. The wife was tall and shapely. That was an 'Aha' moment for me. When I was seeing Buffy by herself, she seemed so beautiful, thin and ideal. But seeing her next to a Barbarian, Buffy just looked small and skinny.

I'm proud to be a Barbarian.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Great post. :happy:

I loved playing a Barbarian in EQ. I wouldn't mind being one in real life either; they are strong and beautiful. Unfortunately for me I got more of a Dwarf figure... which would be perfectly fine if only I had the awesome cleavage to go with it. But I'm coming to terms with the fact that I can only be me. I do however want to be the best me possible. So I'll be proud to be a short (5'5"), broad-shouldered, muscular-thighed dwarven woman. I'll be quite happy if I can fit into size 10 jeans and a large shirt at my goal weight.