I'M SOOOO HURTING!

Options
Worked out with my trainer for 30 minutes on Wed afternoon and 2 days later I still cant move my arms and my triceps are so sore its hard to bend my elbows. I havent seen my trainer in a long time (8 months). Im wondering if he worked me out too hard or what? The training we did didnt seem so bad. Pushups against a bar, some chest incline presses. I know we did many many reps +20. Slam balls for abs.

ANyones thoughts on being so sore? Ive had it before, but I dont think this sore!

Replies

• cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    congrats on your amazing weight loss. I wish I had an answer for you but I don't - hopefully someone will!!!
    Keep your spirit up and keep moving - even alittle bit....
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,031 Member
    Options
    Totally normal if you are out of shape.
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    Typically happens with the 2nd day sore for items I havent worked in a long time. You might have overdid it a bit but water, stretching and even some easy exercises should loosen them up a bit. Might even take an extra day or two before you workout hard again.
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Get a MasSAGE.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    8 months since your last work out?

No wonder you are sore! If you had worked up to a training level with a trainer and then stopped for 8 months. You will need to work back up to the level you were at before stopping.

Best cure I know is to get back in the gym right away. Perhaps go a little easier during the next visit, but get back at it.

It will probably take a week or two but after a short period your body will get used to the activity and the soreness will go away.

Good luck and have fun!
  • sunshine77081
    Options
    Typically happens with the 2nd day sore for items I havent worked in a long time. You might have overdid it a bit but water, stretching and even some easy exercises should loosen them up a bit. Might even take an extra day or two before you workout hard again.

Agree 100%.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Give it a day, you will probably feel fine tomorrow. It's because of the length of time since your last workout. Next time you work out, you will be less sore than you are now.

I took a month off from weight training to focus on running. Got back to it, did half of my normal routine with lower weights, was a breeze. Barely broke a sweat. Upper body was sore for two days. Really, really sore.
  • twynzmom
    twynzmom Posts: 172
    Options
    I don't have an answer either, but wanted to compliment you on your amazing success!
  • niallse
    Options
    Was there any sharp pain or is this post activity pain? If not its probably something as simple as fatigue( I think). You need a hot bath followed by ice and then a massage (gentle with oils but over the coming days increase the pressure), drink plenty of water and keep trying to move your arms ( IMHO) Good luck Mick.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Make sure to stretch out a bit after your workout and ingest some sort of protein to help recovery. Sleep helps recovery as well.
  • drewmathieson
    Options
    I've noticed that you started losing weight earlier this year. I also saw that you continued through July, but you mentioned you haven't seen your trainer in 8 months. Have you been sticking to your diet? Continue to follow your diet plan, you're doing a great job. If you haven't that's OK, Just pretend this is the first day, don't get overwhelmed.

It is TOTALLY natural to get SORE like you have after not working out for a period of time. What you are doing is tearing muscle and the lactic acid in your muscle causes you to feel sore. Try cutting back on diary and milk consumption. BUT, the first couple weeks back will hurt! Think of it as a positive thing, you can tell you did something!! Keep up the great work!

Drew
  • gregthegroove
    Options
    I used to use my trainer way back at the beginning of the year. I was alsmost 400 lbs and I couldnt train properly and it was so hard, so I decided to workout myself and just do cardio and diet and Ive lost 90lbs since January. I wanted to get down to a workable weight where I could move around more and make training a bit easier for me. So I decided to try again with training and I expected to be sore!!!!!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Usually when Starting a new exercise program you will experience DOMS. Delayed onset muscle soreness. It usually lasts 2-3 days after strenuous exercise.if you can't fully extend your arms (trex arms) and you are only sore when you USE/stretch that muscle I could bet you money thats what it is.

Info below

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/injuries/a/doms.htm