Need Afternoon Snack Ideas

Options
Hi everyone,

I've been on MFP for 3 or 4 months now and am down 17 pounds, but I haven't lost anything in the last few weeks. I've always had a lot of trouble around 2:00-4:00 in the afternoon.... I feel really hungry and tend to eat whatever is easiest... (CARBS)... and I don't feel full until I've had practically a "mini meal." I'm looking for suggestions for an afternoon snack... something that's a lot of food (i.e. a big salad?!) so that I'll feel full immediately, but something that's maybe around the 200-250 calorie range or less. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Replies

• vikki6954
    Options
    A glass of v8 makes me feel full. Maybe also a protein of some sort?
    Good luck!
  • girlypop
    Options
    lol i love popcorn for this type of snack cuz u can have soo much for so few calories
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Its not big, but I'm getting hooked on LUNA bars....they're delicious, sweet and keep you feeling full!
  • kenyonsmom10
    kenyonsmom10 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    8 oz greek yogurt, 1 apple diced, 2 tbsp walnut pieces, and a tsp honey. DELICIOUS and 300 calories!
  • jamezyjamez
    Options
    I like a few almonds in the afternoon myself...
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    low fat cheese with a piece of fruit, 4 scramble egg whites, tuna fish with 1tbl spoon low fat plain greek yogurt, 2 tbls peanut butter with an apple or banana, protein fruit smoothie, lowfat greek yougurt with fruit....
  • grimms11208
    grimms11208 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I love edemame in the afternoon, only around 120 calories for a half cup which doesn't sound like a lot but is.
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I always grab a serving of Emerald Cocoa Roast Dark Chocolate Almonds. They are 150 calories a serving. They usually curb my hunger 'til dinner.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I like to eat a few almonds, fresh veggies in hummus...
    a banana
    Something like that!
  • tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Definitely popcorn!! I second that idea. You can eat so much, and it's just so darn CARBY without a lot of calories.

I also like Trader Joe's turkey meatballs, they are only 50 calories each, tons of protein and you microwave them from frozen for about 2 minutes. I even bring them to work in a tupperware, keep in the freezer all day and pop them in the microwave. 5 big meatballs is an awful lot for 250 cals, and you will feel full. I'm sure any grocery store sells turkey meatballs.

Other than those, a fresh apple and few cups of water keeps me going in the afternoon.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Protein is what makes you feel full!
    So, yes, a big salad with a lean protein is good. You can also snack on a GOOD high protein bar like a Quest Protein Bar.
    Minimal ingredients, all natural, high protein, low net carb, high fiber.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    why do you need a lot of food?

my afternoon snacks:
    string cheese
    apple (i can never finish it all)
    yogurt
    popcorn (there's your quantity)
    cashews or mixed nuts
    fresh fruit
    raw veggies
  • Thirstygirl
    Thirstygirl Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    i love to take a string cheese slice it in have long ways and woll it up in lunch meat... mmmm really hits the spot and is protein - and protein makes me feel full instantly...
  • jennp1313
    Options
    Almond milk (60 calories a serving) and a small banana (90 calories). That'll give you some slow and fast burning feul. I also feel pretty full from quaker mini rice cakes.
  • CashierCantin
    CashierCantin Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    My afternoon snacks consist of

snack size bag of baby carrots
    2-3 stalks of crunchy celery
    110 calorie bag of pretzels
    60 calorie Kroger brand low carb yogurt
    small to medium apple
    2 dill pickle halves
    banana
    2 plain rice cakes
    serving of dry cereal like Honey Nut Cheerios or lucky charms

I bring one or two of these things with me every day in my little lunch cooler. Sometimes I need something, sometimes I don't.
    Hope this helps!
  • emmacomeau
    Options
    SUGAR FREE JELLO!! It has saved my life in the afternoons. I add fresh fruit to it and it's awesome!
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    nitrate free beef or turkey jerkey
    apples with almond butter
    celery with almond butter
  • mshaw388
    Options
    i have a protein shake and some almonds around that time every day. you get protein, low carbs, and some healthy fats. does the trick for me :)
  • emmacomeau
    Options
    Protein is what makes you feel full!
    So, yes, a big salad with a lean protein is good. You can also snack on a GOOD high protein bar like a Quest Protein Bar.
    Minimal ingredients, all natural, high protein, low net carb, high fiber.

These are by far the best protein bars out there. You may have to order them online though. My nutritionist gave me a bunch but then I couldn't find them in the stores. I get mine from http://julianbakery.com/
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    and yes, the right protein source always makes me feel full and leaves me satisfied.