Is a 5k ok for me to do on Sunday?

Options
I've been running 3 to 4 miles a day for the past month and a half or so but due to horrible shin splints, I had to take this whole week off! Haven't ran since my 6.2 mile run outside last Saturday. I wanted to do my first ever 5k on Sunday but don't know if I should. The shin splints have gone away quite a bit and will probably be mostly gone by Sunday. I'd be so disappointed if I don't finish in at least under 30:00 (I've been averaging 27:00 to 28:00) I guess my main question: is taking off a week then immediately doing a race a bad idea or should I just go for it?

Replies

• AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Do it!!! I used to take Ibuprofen 2 hours before my race when I struggled with shin splints.
  • eclecticdeb
    eclecticdeb Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It's only 3 miles...and in reality, the worst that will happen is that your shins will hurt after the race.

If you are REALLY want to do the race, then do it. However, AFTER the race, you need to work on your running technique/training program so that you can correct your shin splint problem.
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    If I was already registered, I would totally do it. Good luck, have fun!
  • evil_rider
    Options
    Do it.
  • Kimblesnbits
    Kimblesnbits Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I have a feeling they were real bad because I was running hills. Probably won't be doing that ever again haha. And I haven't registered yet, I can register tomorrow.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I have a feeling they were real bad because I was running hills. Probably won't be doing that ever again haha. And I haven't registered yet, I can register tomorrow.

WHAT?!?!?! Never run hills again? <de-friend> :tongue:
  • calderst
    calderst Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Keep running hills!! It's more likely just from overuse/increasing overall mileage too quickly or a sign you need new shoes. Do the 5K and have fun. Worse thing that happens is you realize you need a few more days off.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    GO for it!!
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    I'm with them.. run those hills!!!!!
  • la_flaca
    la_flaca Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Do it! a 5k is lots of fun :) And as long as you have a good base mileage established, running hills is a great preparation for races, really helpful psychologically, and a good way to challenge your cardiovascular system - don't give it up!
  • Kimblesnbits
    Options

WHAT?!?!?! Never run hills again? <de-friend> :tongue:

OUCH! >=( (That's the best grrr face i could do lol) ok ok so maybe i'll give hills another try later on!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine. I did a 9 mile race the other week having only run once in the previous 2 weeks due to terrible blisters.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options

If you're not using your hills, I will gladly take them.

I wonder how many colories moving hills cross country burns?
  • conchita962
    conchita962 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I've been plagues with shin splints...warm up for a good 10 min before the race and you should be fine. Ice them every night until then and after it really does help!
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Do the race, you will regret it if you don't.
    Get yourself fitted probably for running shoes if you haven't already. If you haven't, then go to a running shoe store and get a gait analysis and let them fit you properly.
    AZtrailrunner's profile pic is the reason to keep doing hills. Don't give them up.
    Have a great race.
  • robmaguire1
    Options
    Go for it!! You will be fine. If you are running EVERYDAY, that could be one reason why you are getting shin splints. I'm no expert, but from my friends who are avid runners, they tell me to run 4-5 days a week max. Our bodies need time to recover.
  • Kimblesnbits
    Options
    Do the race, you will regret it if you don't.
    Get yourself fitted probably for running shoes if you haven't already. If you haven't, then go to a running shoe store and get a gait analysis and let them fit you properly.
    AZtrailrunner's profile pic is the reason to keep doing hills. Don't give them up.
    Have a great race.

I don't want dude legs! haha jk :)
  • moonshadows72
    moonshadows72 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Doo0oo eeet
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Do the race, then let us know how it goes.
    I think you'll be ok, and even then if it hurts it is only 3.1 miles.

Have a great race!