Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How do YOU spice up your stir fry?

Alright, I don't know about you - but I just looove throwing some veggies in the pan with maybe some shrimp, tofu, chicken... you name it.

However!! Recently I've been trying to take a few pointers about my diet, and I keep hearing: sodium, sodium, sodium. And yes, I am aware that I do, in fact, have too much of it in my diet.

Now that I am trying harder and harder to "clean" up how I eat (I had Dunkins today though, boo@me), I would love to hear what YOU do to spice up your stir fry without using those fancy mixes you get at the store, that usually packs around 500-1000mgs of sodium per serving!

So, any wisdom on this subject anyone?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    soy + pb + sriracha

sesame oil + diced chilies + chopped garlic
  • azQmaster
    azQmaster Posts: 448 Member
    C-O-C-K SAUCE

sriracha.jpg
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    just use the trinity

onions, celery & bell pepper

Cant go wrong and it is SUPER flavorful and barely ANY sodium.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    soy + pb + sriracha

Yep. Also jalapeno and chili paste.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Yep gotta love sesame oil with some orange juice, or just make your own sauce by adding spices like garlic, ginger, onion, not sure but if you make your own broth you can add cornstarch..
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 610 Member
    Cayenne Pepper, Cinnamon, Basil, Garlic and Red Onion
  • Soccer_chick916
    Soccer_chick916 Posts: 159 Member
    soy + pb + sriracha

what is pb? sorry but I have no idea lol
  • chefkev
    chefkev Posts: 155 Member
    Jicama, oh yeah!
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    I like Penzey's Northwoods seasoning, or adding Frank's Original hot sauce to stuff.
  • crushed red pepper flakes. how ever the aforementioned C-O-C-Ksauce is excellent as well
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I prepare most stir fry without any salt and sprinkle on some reduce sodium soy sauce just before eating. It adds much less sodium than cooking with salt or mixed seasonings containing salt but still tastes salty because the sodium is all on the outside.

I really love Mrs. Dash seasonings too. They really help lessen the need for salt. in many dishes.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    soy + pb + sriracha

what is pb? sorry but I have no idea lol

peanut butter? I'm guessing its a thai-peanutty taste?? Sounds good to me..and I love sriracha!
  • cumin, red peppers, mambo sauce. don't know what mambo sauce is?? read about it here

www.crazycookingcouple.blogspot.com
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    I usually just sautee garlic and onion to add some flavor, plus some crushed red pepper.
  • C-O-C-K SAUCE

sriracha.jpg

I love this stuff.

Thanks everyone for your advice! I am writing this down as I read :D
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    You guys are all so good! I admit I like just a bit of Hoisin and Oyster sauce, too! Fresh ginger is great, too! I always think Asian for a stir fry!
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Nama Shoyu is better than soy sauce- raw and unpasteurized.

Also LOVE mirin (rice cooking wine), minced ginger, TONS of fresh garlic.

Red pepper flakes, sriracha sauce, **** sauce, any type of sweet chili sauce...yummmm!

AND fresh CILANTRO!
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    mmmm I love stir-fry. My favourite old-staple base sauce is made from onions, garlic, ginger, is sesame oil, low sodium soy sauce, honey and siracha hot sauce with some extra chilli flakes!
  • Ohhh, so many delicious suggestions. I have to settle with two tbs of House of Tsang today, but I will definitely pick up some of the suggestions the next time I go grocery shopping. I can't wait. I absolutely love trying out new stuff.
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    I use "red pepper flakes" the kind you see on the tables at Italian restaurants.