Elliptical Trainer Advice

Options
I was wondering is someone can tell me if is good idea to start an exercise rutine with the Ellitical Trainer? My situation is this one. I had two left knee surgeries and now my right leg is giving up sometimes. I already had Therapy 2 times to help with the pain and the weakness, but the problem continues. I am ok walking but, its really hard for me to run. I see here that a lot of you guys use the Elliptical Trainer, and would like some advice from you.

Please feel free to add me as a friend, I just started my journey to sucess and I might need a little help.

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis too. I can't do the elliptical for more than 10 minutes at a time. It is very hard on my knees. You should try it and if it is too much then don't do it. Walking is a perfectly good exercise.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    From my understanding (friends with bad knees) the elliptical isn't the best thing. Maybe try walking with a slight incline on the treadmill.
  • brunnemeyer
    brunnemeyer Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Elliptical trainer is pretty low impact compared to running on a treadmill. Give it a try.
  • debswebby
    Options
    My doc said that the elliptical is fine to use with arthritis but that cycling and swimming were the best.

Basically, try it. If it hurts, stop.
  • Bellyroll
    Options
    From what I have read around the internet it said this, IF you are trying to lose weight and increase heart rate go with the Elliptical vs running. Now if you are training for a marathon then go running. Main reason is because when you run you are getting the shock vs when you use the Elliptical you dont get a shock. But you do burn more cals from running vs the Elliptical.
  • birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    My surgeon recommended that I use my elliptical even while waiting for surgery for a torn ACL...With the elliptical, there is NO impact on the knees at all, it is one of the best exercise machines out there...I wouldn't trade mine for the world...Good luck..!!.. :flowerforyou:
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    I have arthritis as well. I walk, but I use the my elliptical 5 times a week. I have a bad right hip, and bad left ankle and I find it great because its low impact and I get a great workout. Give it a try, and see how it feels. Start off slow and if its too much then stop.
  • ConnieSG
    ConnieSG Posts: 376
    Options
    I had knee surgery about 14 months ago as my knee kept popping out. One I joined a gym in March, I couldn't do the elliptical because it would hurt my knee, but now that I have been there for 8 months it is part of my usual routine. I usually do anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour.

I would say just try it and see how you make out with it.
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for low impact due to joint problems, you might consider an rowing ergometer. Rowing is a fluid, cyclical motion and its totally non-jarring. You get a leg press, ab work and arms/shoulders at once and the only thing that determines the intensity is you.

IF your gym or community center has a good one (concept 2 is the biggest brand, though I hear water rowers are lovely), you should give it a shot.
  • Miriamreal
    Miriamreal Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I actually do 50 minutes of Tae Bo. It's hard but im getting stronger! Thank you for your advice!
  • ChickyVicky
    Options
    I'm a nurse and work with a lot of rehab patients who have done knees. We advise that they start off easy with riding. If you can do an RPM class. The trainers also know what would be great for your knees. It wouldn't be wise to go up and down on the bike as that's bad for your knees, but simply riding with intervals of fast and slow are great for knees (and a great cardio too).

Maybe once you've built yourself up a bit you can move onto the elliptical trainer, but as mentioned by everyone, it is low impact, you can set it to the degree of difficulty you feel comfortable with.

Swimming is also good for knees, it's good in general! Maybe see if there's an aqua qorkout you can do or some form of hydrotherapy??

Hope any of this helps!!
  • ChickyVicky
    Options
    I'm a nurse and work with a lot of rehab patients who have done knees. We advise that they start off easy with riding. If you can do an RPM class. The trainers also know what would be great for your knees. It wouldn't be wise to go up and down on the bike as that's bad for your knees, but simply riding with intervals of fast and slow are great for knees (and a great cardio too).

Maybe once you've built yourself up a bit you can move onto the elliptical trainer, but as mentioned by everyone, it is low impact, you can set it to the degree of difficulty you feel comfortable with.

Swimming is also good for knees, it's good in general! Maybe see if there's an aqua workout you can do or some form of hydrotherapy??

Hope any of this helps!!