Lets talk Legs people!

Options
K... so I'm getting near my goal... halfway there, in fact, & I only have about 20lbs to go. :bigsmile:

TWENTY... IN TOTAL.... and guess what? It's ALL IN MY LEGS. :explode:

What is a good workout to burn this off? I've been running, I'm up to 20minutes in Couch-to-5k, & I've been using the Elliptical about 30+ minutes OR the Stationary Bike for 30+ minutes when I go to the gym. I keep the resistance at "Makes-me-notice-what-muscles-I'm-trying-to-work-and-makes-me-sweat-but-not-hard-to-maintain-for-a-long-time"... a.k.a. 6 on the Elliptical, 10 on the bike.

Is this kind of program going to work? I'm not a huge fan of weights, & I never really stick to a weight training program. Is there any advice anyone might have for me about cardio workouts that would burn off leg weight? My weight is coming off... slowly... but I don't see a measurable difference in my legs & hips yet. I'd like to lift my glutes too. Ideas? :huh:

Thanks guys!

Replies

• KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    squats should help.
  • Legalchica
    Options
    you cant. I'm in the same situation. you can't spot burn. If that is all you have left then as you lose it will come from there.
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as spot reduction. The fat comes off all over. And for some reason on some people it seems to leave some areas for last. But you can't burn fat from a specific spot. All you can do is work to tone them and when the last of the fat comes off, they will look great.
  • daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Options
    If you are talking fat, you can't target a certain region. If you are talking toning or good lean muscle , I think you got it.

I would love it if we could...stomach....
  • jdhosier
    jdhosier Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as spot reduction. The fat comes off all over. And for some reason on some people it seems to leave some areas for last. But you can't burn fat from a specific spot. All you can do is work to tone them and when the last of the fat comes off, they will look great.
    This is absolutely correct. If we could spot reduce fat, people who chew gum would have skinny faces.
  • Hayesgang
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of hot power yoga. It has really helped with my entire body - firming and toning even my "pooch" - I am a bit sore after class.

My thighs no longer touch, there is a smooth line from my waist to my knee (good bye saddlebags) and my butt no longer blends into my upper thigh.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I've lost about four inches off each thigh, but I've also come to accept that I will always have meaty legs. If I get any thinner, my top half will be way too bony. I think we're our own worst critics, too, because I'll look at a picture of me and think, "Big legs!" and someone else will say, "Wow! Your thighs are so slim now!"

I run a lot in my hilly neighborhood, bike a little, elliptical rarely and try to do full body strength training 2-3 times a week.
  • SandyHern
    SandyHern Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the stair climber? It'll tone your legs and butt. Trust me you'll feel it after like 5min...lol

Also, check out this routine in Fitness Magazine: http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/thighs/exercises/hot-legs-exercises/?page=1
    It's not cardio, but something you can do at home with no gym equipment to tone your legs. I've been doing it for a couple of days now and I can already feel a difference.
  • Kamille84
    Options
    RUN. Intervals, hills, sprints, easy runs, long runs all worked for me.
  • stephanie8625
    stephanie8625 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    so glad you posted -- I am almost in the same position as you ---- have about 20 more pounds to lose -- and my thighs are still big !! they have come down and I have lost about an inch, but still not where I want them to be --- I want to get them toned up :grumble:

I have been focusing on the eliptical - weight loss program, every 4 mins is changes from incline 10, resistance 8 to incline 8 resiistance 4. and I try and do it at least 45 mins, but shoot for 60 mins --- I really feel it in the thighs and I have seen results in my butt -- so just stick with it and try different inclines with resistance, I also have been adding 15 mins of the treadmill at incline of 5,0 -- the more I read, that is also good for the thighs -- but it has to have an incline, higher then 3.5 - good luck with your journey - you will get there :happy:

10344221.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • maura1110
    maura1110 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    ugh i am having the same problem!! my arms are thinner, my stomach is flatter, but my legs are still huge!! and i have been running alot.. i'm up to a 6 mile distance!! it's so frustrating but unfortunately it seems you can't spot reduce..it just takes time and maybe we will lose the weight here last? :( good luck!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter where the fat is located, to lose it takes the same course of action...eating a calorie deficit + adequate cardio to burn fat + weight training to conserve muscle through the cardio.

Just keep at it, it will come off.