chocolate and sugar cravings

Options
any ideas on how to minimize choclolate and sugar cravings?

Replies

• albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    have a little, but take it easy..........denying it 100% will make it worse
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I've found that magnesium citrate helps (not the liquid laxative stuff! The tablets you can take. Look for them in the supplement section at health food store)
  • mumof5
    mumof5 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    i agree. have a little bitn then log it and take a look at how many cals it was worth. now work out how much exercise you have to do to work it off! imagine what you would have to do if you had that king size treat!!!
  • spyork
    spyork Posts: 187
    Options
    Hi,#
    When do you get the cravings? I used to get mine on a night so i started having an apple or a couple of rice cakes on my way home from work then my evening meal a little later and because i was full for longer the cravings went. How are you havig your meals at set times every 3 hours or just when you can? this can also have an effect on your suger levels.

Hope this helps
    Scott
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    have a little, but take it easy..........denying it 100% will make it worse
    ^^this
  • kagenw
    kagenw Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    i agree. have a little bitn then log it and take a look at how many cals it was worth. now work out how much exercise you have to do to work it off! imagine what you would have to do if you had that king size treat!!!

This seems like a great idea. If you forced yourself to workout every time you ate chocolate, then you might start identifying chocolate with working out. Might make it a bit easier every time to say no.
  • slenderagain
    Options
    Incorporate a little chocolate into your food diary, and then enjoy it without guilt! I find it incredible how much more I enjoy a small amount of chocolate (like 2 fun size Halloween candy bars) when I've tracked it and made it a part of the program. There isn't that nagging feeling of "I shouldn't be eating this!" that I have when I'm just sneaking one here and there throughout the day.
  • squirreltastic
    squirreltastic Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't even try to resist something sweet. I just add it to dinner early in the day, and then I know how many calories I have left to work with.
  • mrshuerta11
    Options
    I give in. Especially with the little halloween candy right now. I limit myself to 1 or 2 of the bitesize ones and make sure to log it. If i denied myself completely I'd be misserable.
  • missmolly80
    missmolly80 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    chronium tablets are the best for it it also helps with ya sugar metabolism to help the insulin in ya body there great
  • allycaturban
    Options
    I also have this problem. I found the following

1) you need to just detox from it - give yourself a week with NO refined sugars
    2) more protien seems to help me
    3) dates- they help stabilze blood sugar and reduce cravings
    :smile:
  • melbaby925
    Options
    I have a great recipe for chocolate mousse that is phenomenal and helps me - and it's got decent amounts of protein and relatively low sugar (9g in the greek yogurt; trace in the chocolate):

Bittersweet Chocolate Yogurt Mousse

8-oz. plain, Greek-style yogurt (about 1 cup), room temperature
    1 oz. dark/bittersweet chocolate, melted (because I don't use the white sugar, I will use 2 oz of semisweet chocolate)
    2 tbsp cocoa powder, sifted
    3 tbsp sugar (I leave this out)
    2 egg whites

Fold melted chocolate into yogurt in a medium (glass, preferably) bowl. Fold in cocoa powder. Heat the mixture over a water bath or in the microwave for a few seconds until it is warm and smooth, eliminating any remaining bits of unmelted chocolate.
    In a small sauce pan, bring about an inch of water to a simmer. Set a bowl containing sugar and egg whites over the simmering water and beat to soft peaks. Remove from heat and fold meringue (egg white mixture) into yogurt mixture. Divide evenly between 4 ramekins or small wine glasses. Refrigerate at least 3 hours, or until ready to serve.

It's 9g protein, 112 calories/serving -- and pretty healthy, considering the ingredients!

Hope that helps -
  • allycaturban
    Options
    interesting
  • msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Skinny cow truffle bars sometimes do the trick. One is only 100 calories. I often save calories to have it as a nighttime treat.
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I have a great recipe for chocolate mousse that is phenomenal and helps me - and it's got decent amounts of protein and relatively low sugar (9g in the greek yogurt; trace in the chocolate):

Bittersweet Chocolate Yogurt Mousse

8-oz. plain, Greek-style yogurt (about 1 cup), room temperature
    1 oz. dark/bittersweet chocolate, melted (because I don't use the white sugar, I will use 2 oz of semisweet chocolate)
    2 tbsp cocoa powder, sifted
    3 tbsp sugar (I leave this out)
    2 egg whites

Fold melted chocolate into yogurt in a medium (glass, preferably) bowl. Fold in cocoa powder. Heat the mixture over a water bath or in the microwave for a few seconds until it is warm and smooth, eliminating any remaining bits of unmelted chocolate.
    In a small sauce pan, bring about an inch of water to a simmer. Set a bowl containing sugar and egg whites over the simmering water and beat to soft peaks. Remove from heat and fold meringue (egg white mixture) into yogurt mixture. Divide evenly between 4 ramekins or small wine glasses. Refrigerate at least 3 hours, or until ready to serve.

It's 9g protein, 112 calories/serving -- and pretty healthy, considering the ingredients!

Hope that helps -

I have GOT to try this! Adding in all that protein to slow down the digestion of the small amount of sugar in the yogurt and chocolate surely must help prevent the blood sugar spike... I'm making this tomorrow!!!
  • Jelliefishie
    Jelliefishie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I think all you can do, in a practical sense, is replace unhealthy sweet snacks with healthier sweet snacks. Your body wants something sweet? It doesn't have to be a white chocolate or a milk chocolate bar, try to get accustomed to Dark chocolate. This has less sugar in it, and antioxidants; they say it's good for the heart (unless you overdo it, as with anything!). You may wanna start with a lower percentage of cacao in it, then work your way up to 75%, 80%. My aunt manages to eat 85-90%, which is too bitter for me...but others manage that well by having a port wine with it. But anyway, you actually end up eating less volume with a dark chocolate that has a higher cacao percentage. Most people will take just a few bites, they won't even finish a whole bar, and they'll feel content. With milk chocolate, it could be 5 bars later and I won't slow down XD

Or, instead of chocolate, another sweet and healthy thing is to replace your craving with fruit. Instead of grabbing a candy bar, grab an orange, grape, a crisp Asian pear, anything like that :) It's still satisfying and sweet, but you'll feel guiltless and you won't harm your body by eating it. Fresh fruit only though, not canned ones...the syrup in canned fruits can be too sugary.