Warming Up

Options
Hi all,

I run on the treadmill (slow run - 5.0 or 5.2 at an incline of 1 for 30-45 minutes). I'd like to know how, or if, you warm up for a similar workout. How long do you spend on the warm up? Right now I walk at 3.5 for 5 minutes, and at the end I walk at 3.5 for at least 5 minutes to cool down. It seems to be working out fine. I'd like to hear what other people (not internet articles via google search) say about this. Thanks!

Replies

• sryan8408
    Options
    I stretch before. Then walk 5 minutes and then for 30 seconds for so I stretch my quads and then run (outside). Cool down is a 5 minute walk and stretching after. I had a bad knee and thats why I stretch so much, it prevents me from getting an injury.
  • kkeys
    kkeys Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I know taking the time to stretch is important - I have to force myself to slow down and do it right after my run....I read somewhere that one should stretch after warming up but I tend to skip that part to try to save time (I want to burn as many calories as possible in as little time as possible - don't we all, right?). I wish I could just skip the warm up altogether...with 2 kids and a hubby begging me to keep it short, it's tempting to take shortcuts but I'm not an idiot, either...lol
  • sryan8408
    Options
    I used to stretch at home before going to the gym because my gym didn't have a designated area where I could stretch. Why don't you try that?
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I just do some toe stretches, calf, arms, shoulders, lower back. Then I try a slower reduce version of whatever exercise I am doing like if im going on the eliptical its 2 minutes at low speeds going forward and backward then I steadily increase too max, then I spend 2 minutes at each interval to go down and cool down then Im done. I do that with each "exercise" I do so I am warming up and cooling down the muscle groups. Saves time, works for me.
  • Sookie_182
    Sookie_182 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    When i warm up i take bout 10/15 minutes but you can increase the intensity of your warm up so your still burning calories before you hit your proper run! How much time do you usually set aside for your run?
  • kkeys
    kkeys Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I set aside at least 30 minutes. I tend to go longer than that depending on how I feel or if a good show is on lol!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I run on the treadmill (slow run - 5.0 or 5.2 at an incline of 1 for 30-45 minutes). I'd like to know how, or if, you warm up for a similar workout. How long do you spend on the warm up? Right now I walk at 3.5 for 5 minutes, and at the end I walk at 3.5 for at least 5 minutes to cool down. It seems to be working out fine. I'd like to hear what other people (not internet articles via google search) say about this. Thanks!

When I am doing steady state cardio on the treadmill, that is pretty much exactly how I do it. I stretch afterwards though. Normally I stretch in the locker room at the gym since I have accidentally been tripped over before. o_O
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    aahhh, I'll probably be slammed for this, but, I don't warm up....I hit the trail or the treadmill and just start right into my run. After about the first 1.5 miles I feel ready to then either increase my speed, or to just keep going where I am at....depending on what tyoe of run I am doing...distance or speed, or intervals...

my cool down is going into a fitness class....

this works for my body...I don't suffer from injuries...please don't give any snarky comments about it all
  • koneill
    Options
    Psh I don't have time to warm up. Well, I do a 2 minute walk before running on the treadmill, then stretch really quick after. I know I should do more but I would rather use the time to burn calories.