Vanity Sizing

Options
Just curious, but can someone point me to a size chart that lists measurements in TRUE sizes rather than vanity sizing? I am curious as to what my true size would be, not some vanity size from a department store. Although it is nice to say "I can wear size 4 from Store X" I would really like to know the truth without manufacturers trying to make me feel good.

Replies

• adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I have no idea, sorry :(
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone even knows anymore. The vanity sizing thing has been going on for so long in this country I doubt there is a place to find "true" sizes. I think UK sizes have stayed pretty much the same over time, so maybe you could compare with those?
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    Sizes have changed, you can google for old sizes to get an idea but there is no true measurement. Honestly this "vanity sizing" doesn't seem to pertain to all stores. IE in some wall narrow brands I may be a size 4 but in the gap I am close to a size 10. Best way to "measure" yourself is your actual measurements.
  • tiabirdie56
    tiabirdie56 Posts: 3,989 Member
    Options
    I made my own clothes for years, way before vanity sizing. Then, I was a size 12 and my measurements were, 34 bust, 26 waist, 39 hip.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

It's depressing to find that you are larger than you thought on the hips, and smaller than you thought on the chest. Too bad spot reduction is impossible or I'd remove my hips so they are "even" so to speak with my chest, lol.
  • inspiration345
    inspiration345 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    American sizes seem to be all over the map. Especially when Kristy Alley& Kourtney Kardashian claim they are a size 4.
  • Lyadeia
    Options
    I made my own clothes for years, way before vanity sizing. Then, I was a size 12 and my measurements were, 34 bust, 26 waist, 39 hip.

So I am guessing that would make me a size 10 since my hips are smaller than 39? My bust is about the same though.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    lol, i was JUST thinking this. I bought a size 18pants(red tag labeled), but the inside tag(black one) and white (with the price)said 16? 0_o, they can't even get their lies right, haha
  • Lyadeia
    Options
    American sizes seem to be all over the map. Especially when Kristy Alley& Kourtney Kardashian claim they are a size 4.

I know, right?

My sister-in-law claims to be wearing a loose size 12 right now, but I am sooo much smaller than she is. I think she's at least 50 pounds heavier than me. I mean, congrats to her on losing weight! But...we can't possibly wear the same size or close to it. I wear an 8 or a 10 usually, and I can hide behind her without turning sideways...I should just go shopping with her so I can say "Look, I am wearing a 2."
  • inspiration345
    Options
    I have sewing patterns. Give me your measurements and I can tell you what your size would be for real.
  • SunshineKisses_2012
    Options

LOLOL!!! This made me giggle. I don't keep up with celebs (I don't watch network TV because I have enough insecurities without the mass media bombarding me and telling me I'm even worse than I thought I was), but that is an interesting fact!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Haha fbre is no such thing as true size anymore. I have even had pairs of jeans, same brand vary in fit from size to size. Just the other day I tried on an 11 in a brand in which I bought an 11 in previously. They didn't fit. It was stupid. Then I also have jeans in other brands that are 9s that fit.
  • Lyadeia
    Options
    lol, i was JUST thinking this. I bought a size 18pants(red tag labeled), but the inside tag(black one) and white (with the price)said 16? 0_o, they can't even get their lies right, haha

They're trying to outsmart themselves, lol!

I think women's pants should be sold like men's pants. I can't imagine that a waist measurement would be different from store to store.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    If kourtney kardashian is a 4 then I must be a zero
  • Lyadeia
    Options
    I have sewing patterns. Give me your measurements and I can tell you what your size would be for real.

OK, cool.

Right now my bust is 34, my hips are 38. In a perfect world, my waist would be 28 or something, but it's really 30. I wear jeans that sit on the hips so I don't have to buy bigger sizes, cause bigger sizes make my legs look fat (cause you know, obviously women with a tummy have thunder thighs and cankles, too...grrr....)

I have shorts in size 6 that fit perfectly...just like my size 10 jeans...and my size 8 uniform pants at work...but the skinny jeans I just bought are 12. I can't possibly be a size 6 and a 12, cause that's just too different, ya know?

Oh and could you also post measurements for the different sizes? Just curious to know what they really are!
  • Lyadeia
    Options
    If kourtney kardashian is a 4 then I must be a zero

That woman looks like the same proportions as ME (except the big boobs part, haha)...and I am definitely NOT a size 4. Maybe she's a 4 if you take her real size and cut it in half.
  • DisneyMommy
    Options
    It is very bizarre. I wear a size 4 now but in real size I'd most likely be a 6 or 8. Either way I just want to be healthy, not necessarily a size or a number on the scale.
  • inspiration345
    Options
    According to Vogue sewing patterns here are some numbers.
    Bust Waist Hips Size
    30.5 23 32,5 6
    31.5 24 33.5 8
    32.5 25 34.5 10
    34 26.5 36 12
    36 28 38 14
    38 30 40 16
    40 32 42 18
    and so on.
    What is happening is that they make clothes say size 10 and call it a 0 size 12 and call it a 2.
    Lydia you are 12 at bust and 14 at waist and hips. But in vanity sizing that will be a 2 and a 4 in USA. In not so insane vanity sizing it will be a 6 for tops and 8 for bottoms.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

Kourtney Kardashian is 5'1 and weighs about 97 pounds. She may not look it on tv, but she's tiny.