DIET PECAN PIE! LOW SUGAR/CARB!

Options
MlleDee
MlleDee Posts: 90 Member
Okay with the holidays coming I had to share a much loved recipe with other users of this site. I am a lover of Pecan Pie but so is my diabetic father. Since neither of us should be having the regular version, I searched the web for recipes. Out of all them I tried this one was amazing! You really can't tell your not eating the real thing...well as long as you don't have the real thing for comparison. It has the look and smell of a pecan pie, but there are a few draw backs, first off out of all the syrups I've tried, you really do have to use Steel's Thick SF Syrup, the rest just don't do it justice. Second, this taste best warm. The recipe suggests refrigerating the pie, because it will spoil otherwise. I would suggest popping it in the oven during dinner instead, and just eating it warm. Once chilled it does develop a bit of a after taste.

3 large eggs
¾ cup Splenda Granular
Pinch of table salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 tablespoons salted butter, melted
¾ cup Steel's Sugar Free COUNTRY Maple syrup (not the breakfast one)
½ cup chopped pecans, plus 10 halves
One 9-inch homemade unbaked pie shell (for calories count I used Pillsbury ready roll one)

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Beat the eggs in a large bowl until well blended and stir in the Splenda, salt, vanilla, butter, and syrup. Mix in the chopped pecans and pour the filling into the pie crust. Arrange the pecan halves evenly on the custard and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the sides are set but the center is still a bit soft. Serve!

Serves 10

Calories: 236, Fat: 18, Carbs: 18, Sugar: 0

You can cut down on the fat by using butter substitute and a homemade crust, but I wouldn't suggest trying to cut down anymore on the carbs.

Enjoy!

Replies

• ecronick
    ecronick Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Yum!
  • shastar
    shastar Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    What stores carry Steel's? I have not ever seen that syrup in the stores. We have Price Choppers, Hyvees, Hen Houses, Walmart, and Target stores here.
  • Jacksonsmomma2211
    Jacksonsmomma2211 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    This sounds really good! I looked at a regular one the last time I was at the store and I could not believe the calories I used to eat without even a second thought!
    Thanks so much for sharing:smile:
  • MlleDee
    Options
    I am tempted to upload a photo, but I can't find a picture of the whole pie! It goes to fast! LOL
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    bump for the holidays!
  • MlleDee
    Options
    What stores carry Steel's? I have not ever seen that syrup in the stores. We have Price Choppers, Hyvees, Hen Houses, Walmart, and Target stores here.

I actually buy it online, it's about $7 a bottle. I wish I knew a store that carried it, one of the people who shared this with me found it in the diabetic section of her grocery store, but so far no luck for me!
  • MlleDee
    Options
    I edited the original recipe to reflect, that my syrup of choice is the COUNTRY MAPLE not the BREAKFAST MAPLE. The Breakfast one is just too thin, like a lot of the store brands I have tried.
  • mlbazemore
    mlbazemore Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sistertransister
    sistertransister Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    bump