going gluten free...

Options
I recently found out I have an intolerance to gluten and I am kinda nervous about removing gluten from my diet...anyone know of good gluten free foods/brands?? If so, let me know!!

Replies

• mcjabber
    mcjabber Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I typically avoid gluten free brands and just eat things that are naturally without gluten. Gluten free brands taste like gravel, a lot of the time :laugh: . That being said, the bread that Udi makes is the best I've found, and I really dig Glutino's pretzels.
  • McSnoozle
    McSnoozle Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Tinkyada for rice pasta --- do the "energy saving" cooking method noted on front of package and you'll never know the difference!

Blue Diamond Nut Thins crackers --- all are delicious!

These can be found at King Soopers (Kroger) in the health/natural section or at any health foods store. I'd go to a health foods store and ask the staff what brands they recommend for things like frozen, or bread.

i'm not gluten intolerant, but I've cut a lot of wheat out using these things and just to keep an eye on my calorie counts --- I feel better for it!

Good luck.
  • occupyme
    occupyme Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    There is nothing to be nervous about. GF is pretty common now, so you have lots of options.

Read labels carefully since odd foods--like Twizzlers--contain gluten. You can eat cereals like Rice Krispies and Rice Chex from the grocery store, any fresh fruits and vegetables, GF breads (better to make your own, though), and corn tortillas.

Be careful about soups and sauces; even some chicken broth contains gluten.

I think Lara Bars are GF, but you should check before eating them.

You will be amazed at how much better you feel after a few weeks on a GF diet. I'm not saying everyone should go GF, but if you need to...you need to... and will be glad you did. All the best to you!
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    There are so many great gluten free options! I am thinking if you live in a big enough city, there are gluten free bakeries around, too, which you can buy pizza dough, bread, etc. A lot of it is good enough to be tolerated by everyone in your family. GL!
  • irishk8lin
    Options
    I too recently found out I have a Gluten Intolerance. Look for the book Gluten Free, Hassle free by Marlisa Brown. I went to a nursing conference recently and she did a portion on being gluten free and she really knows her stuff. The book breaks things down and makes it very simple including eating out. Hope that helps and good luck to you!!
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Celiac about a year ago. Honestly, I cut out most grain products completely. It's just easier that way. Processed foods never made me feel all that great, anyway.

I still use steel-cut oats, but that's pretty much it. Lettuce is now my bread for sandwiches! Haha
  • elansdown
    Options
    There are a lot of great gluten-free food blogs out there if you take a quick search. http://www.elanaspantry.com/ is a good one, and I also like http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/ (I'm not celiac, but I have many friends who are.) Just keep in mind gluten-free substitutes for items can be much higher carb and/or caloric than their non-gluten free counterparts. It's best to take this opportunity to cleanse your body from those processed foods. Perhaps look into the primal blueprint diet? Good luck!
  • bella8282
    bella8282 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    There are fabulous recipe's and alternative foods. my son is celiac and dairy intolerant and we have found suitible replacement you just need to research. We eat maily raw paleo in my household but kids still eat grain's and baked treats.
  • bella8282
    bella8282 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    oops.. didnt mean to send yet...
    I'm in Australia so not sure if we have same brands or not..... but as some one else suggested Elna's pantry is fantastic! she is Paleo too.
    there are many awsome blogs for gluten free you just gotta find ones you identify with :)
    Good luck
  • oftheearth
    oftheearth Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Udi's!