Figuring your calorie burn for Zumba

Options
I've seen lots of people post that they didn't know what to post for Zumba because it's not listed on the list of exercises. I found a cool website that has a calculator for Zumba. www.zumbacalories.com. Just thought I'd share!

Replies

• TOBUNNZYE
    Options
    THAT'S VERY THOUGHTFUL OF YOU, A LOT OF THINGS AREN'T LISTED.
  • skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    that site tells you that you burn at LEAST twice as many calories. I compared it to my HRM. It's very inaccurate.
  • daydream58
    daydream58 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I have been using that because I depend on "perceived effort" (low, moderate, hard) instead of a heart rate monitor because my heart rate is artificially low (good thing as I have an implanted defibrillator that I wouldn't want to fire!) and some friends have commented that my estimates seem to be pretty accurate, so I think it's a great link.

LOL right after someone says it's inaccurate - well, all I can say is, you probably have to be GOOD at estimated your actual perceived level of effort for it to come out right! Best to all!

Low: You could sing while doing your Zumba Fitness workout
    Mid: You could talk while doing your Zumba Fitness workout
    High: You are out of breath and could not talk while doing your Zumba Fitness workout

I log MID for moderate or medium as I am pretty short of breath doing it. If you're not really short of breath, you're probably not doing as much effort as they are asking for, I don't know?
  • Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I'd log Zumba as "Dancing. general" comparing that to a HRM it's pretty accurate. I agree with the previous poster, that site is telling you that you've burnt WAY more calories than you would have in reality.
  • daydream58
    daydream58 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I only eat back half my workout calories, so hopefully it all evens out in the wash!
  • blessedmomof8
    blessedmomof8 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    My daughter and I have checked the site sevaral times out of curiosity. We both use HRM watches. For me at 35 years and 63 pound overweight it gets close to what my hrm says. For my 17 y/o daughter with maybe 10 pounds to lose it rates way lower than her watch. So I wonder if it figures for a certain age range.

And thanks, helma123, for sharing a find to help others! :flowerforyou:

~Have a blessed week!
  • audriana5
    Options
    I have worn my HRM to the past few zumba classes I've taken and the total calories burned were almost exactly what the zumba calculator estimated (for both "mid" and "high" intensity classes). I don't know how accurate it is for others, but I thought I'd share my experience. Good luck with your fitness/weight loss goals everyone!