Calorie counting on Cruise???

Options
Im going on a cruise in April and will still be in weight loss mode at that point. Has anyone been on a cruise while watching calories or is it just impossible? I plan to hit the gym while on the cruise and am pretty good about being careful what I eat, but would love to minimize any damage I may do otherwise. Thanks!

Replies

• LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    still have never been on a cruise, but i would suggest doing what you just said you were planning on doing: working out and making good choices. i am sure you will splurge a bit, as you should -- it's your vacation, so enjoy it. i bet, for the most part, you will stay on track.
  • glenr79
    glenr79 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    don't worry about calorie counting on a cruise!! Enjoy your time!! if you are worried about counting calories you won't be able to enjoy your vacation... if you are worried just make smart food choices!!!
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    First of all - congrats! Cruises are awesome, you are going to have a great time.

I cruised with NCL and the kitchen staff there is the most accommodating group of people I've ever met. There's a great selection of low-cal, tasty foods for you to choose from - salads, fresh fruit, grilled veggies, lean proteins, everything! - and don't be afraid to ask the staff for nutrition info. They were really helpful when it came to finding gluten-free foods for my Celiac mom, too. Stick with whole foods and it shouldn't be a problem as far as logging is concerned, but definitely don't hesitate to ask for help! That's why they are there :)
  • MissHellsing
    MissHellsing Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I got the SAME issue as well. I'm going on a Cruise at the beginning of December. This going to be the first one since I started on my weight-loss Journey. I know they have gym and I plan on going swimming everyday but sitll =/
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Though I've been at sea out-of-sight-of-land for over 700 days, I have yet to do a cruise where everybody wasn't wearing blue or khaki. :wink: Given that 700 day thing, I doubt I ever will - though my wife keeps pushing the idea.

I've done vacations, though of course. If it were me I wouldn't try to count, log, etc during the cruise unless you're going to be gone 2 weeks or something. Use common sense and be careful of the alcohol - I'd bet that will get you more than the food.

Think of it as a test of everything you've learned through your weight loss journey. If you can judge portions on the fly and make sensible choices so you only come back having gained a pound or two, that would be a huge, huge victory, IMO. That's what we all want to learn to do, right? Lifestyle change and all. I know I don't want to count calories this rigorously for the rest of my life. If you can maintain on a cruise with everything that's available there, "real life" should be a piece of cake.

Have fun!
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Yeah if I were spending the $$$ to go on a cruise, I would NOT be thinking about weight loss at that point. I'd enjoy myself for the few days on the cruise, and then get back on the horse when I got back.
  • mommy2b2
    Options
    We went on a cruise at the beginning of my weight loss. I say just enjoy yourself as you can't get that time back. I never kept track of calories, I ate what I wanted, you will be more conscious regardless as you are in weight-loss mode. I didn't gain a pound as you walk so much on the ship and at your ports. Just have fun!!
  • Liquid741
    Liquid741 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    im of a different opinion...i chose this dedication to weight loss and eating right. and i wouldnt stop if i was going on a cruise. its a lifestyle change, you can enjoy yourself and still eat right.

again, this is me...and not sure what member said it, but "nothing tastes as good as im going to look when i reach my goal"

i use this quote...and after awhile lost the feeling of wanting the crap that will kill you.

you would be surprised that you could eat great!