How do I "guess" how many calories I burn?

Options
I work out 3 times per week for 60 mins per time at and Extreme Fitness place. It is the hardest workout I have ever done, every workout I have sweat POURING down my body- so I know I am burning some serious calories. My problem is that I don't have a heart rate monitor to know how many calories I burn per session and I have been trying to track my exercise & food as close as possible.
Any suggestions?

Replies

• darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I gave up and am buying a HRM. :ohwell:
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I am planning to buy one as well as soon as I have the extra money. I guess, but I guess what I consider very low numbers so I don't over eat.
  • treesha450
    treesha450 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I bought a HRM for $19.99

I was tired of guessing.

You can get estimates from this site, but it seems to me they are overly generous with your calories burned.
  • adross3
    adross3 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I use a bodybugg. I love it. I now know how many calories I burn with every gym exercise, laundry or just about everything I do. I put all my data into a excell spreadsheet. When my subscription expires, I will know.

I also found that I burn about 80 more calories running on a treadmill than it states.
  • anamikaraks
    anamikaraks Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I just guess which catagory in the MFP database it's closest to and use that one. You can cross check the value with other websites on whatever you pick. I am hoping for an HRM for Christmas. Try kickboxing as the MFP exercise and see if you think that's fair.
  • erikalemon
    Options
    Thanks everyone...I may have to break down and buy one.. I don't like not knowing.
  • Liquid741
    Options
    ive been using the calculations on the treadmill when running and what is on this site...i know that there is a lot of room for error, i just adjust it accordingly....so far so good, lost 52lbs. doing that. so its working for some.
  • kritty123
    Options
    I use a bodybugg. I love it. I now know how many calories I burn with every gym exercise, laundry or just about everything I do. I put all my data into a excell spreadsheet. When my subscription expires, I will know.

I also found that I burn about 80 more calories running on a treadmill than it states.

Do you have to renew your subscription to find out how much your burning calorie wise still or is it just for the online nutrition stuff?? I was looking to get one of these myself but I guess I dont know what services you have to keep paying for in order to use the piece of equipment! TIA!