struggling to work out in the heat?

Options
Hey all,

so atm it is spring, summer starts in december and our days are getting to be 30+ degrees (105fahrenheit I think, could be wrong), so I love working out usually but the heat really gets to me and I start to get really drowsy and all I wanna do is sleep all day, I feel like passing out a lot of the time. What to do?

Replies

• ritajean3
    ritajean3 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Where are you?

I drink lots and lots of water and push through it. We can hit 40 and 90% humidity and on those days I swim (best exercise in heat) or I just stay inside
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I'm in canberra, australia. We are only in the 30's atm but can get us high as 40 around christmas time.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I get up earlier and go out in the morning before it gets really hot.
    Or you could look into swimming at your local pool, or if you have aircon, check out exercise options that you can do at home.
  • ritajean3
    Options
    I'm in Cairns :D humid heat, I CANNOT tolerate dry heat and I know most people from dry places can't handle humidity lol

Gym and swimming pool would be best or if you have air con work out at home. I prefer to walk in the evenings when its a lot cooler.

I will garden, mow, swim, walk short distances ect in the middle of the day just drink a TON of water.
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Work out when your energy is at it's highest. If it's hot outside, that's just a bonus. The more you sweat, the more you lose.
  • kjannan
    kjannan Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I'm in NZ & summers definitely on it's way after a few hot days in a row!

I get up & exercise at about 5am, I think when the nights start to get sticky I'll run the fan when I'm exercising to keep cool.

Where I am here it's one of the sunniest parts of the country & I can't handle the days in the low 30's, I don't think I could cope with the heat in Oz!
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    considering it was up to 116º (fahrenheit) here in Texas this summer....

i don't want to hear it.

lolz. just kiddin. hydration is key. as well as timing.
  • _LDM_
    _LDM_ Posts: 81
    Options

i don't want to hear it.

I was just thinking the same thing!:wink:

I was so miserable all summer!!!

Still waiting on some rain, though.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options

i don't want to hear it.

I was just thinking the same thing!:wink:

I was so miserable all summer!!!

Still waiting on some rain, though.

It will get up to that, it's not even summer yet...
  • LuLuRunner1
    LuLuRunner1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Acclimate yourself to the heat. I walk/jog on my lunch 2-4 miles a day. I started off in the spring when the temps were in the 80's. I actually made it through the hottest Texas summer on record! I would walk from 1-2pm; when I would start my walk it would be 99, when I was done it would be 102. I didn't think I would make it and every day I'd say that I thought this was going to be it, but I kept going! Yes, I was sweaty when I returned to work, but everyone I worked with was encouraging me and making sure I was drinking my water before & after and if I was running late, they'd call and check to make sure I was okay.

Now, I'm worried about not making it through the winter due to the cold! Although our average winter time temp is around 50, with a colder days intermittent.

Good luck to you. You can do it!
  • ritajean3
    Options
    I wouldn't run to the middle of the day our sun is worse than a lot of places and you would burn to a crisp.

Also that temp is what parts of oz hit normally in summer not a freak once off. I am lucky in that on the odd occurrence it gets to 40 it won't go much over but it can be 99% humidity and not raining. A lot of oz has dry extreme heat in summer.

Another thing I was think of to encourage you is find a walking or running group and join it. There may also be a bootcamp near you
  • finchase
    finchase Posts: 174
    Options
    I'm in Texas, and I had the same problem this year when summer arrived early. I'd been walking more and more but I knew I wouldn't be able to keep it up when the real heat hit. I finally broke down and joined a local gym, which turned out to be a great move for me. It allowed me to continue working hard all summer. If that's a possibility for you, it could really help if you are dedicated enough to go often.
  • Jennieam
    Jennieam Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I'm also in Australia (Victoria).

I suspect that my exercise routine isn't as strenuous as yours, but I take my dog for a walk early in the morning (before going to work). Perhaps you could jog around the lake first thing in the morning?

Do you go to a gym? If not, is your house fairly cool? Can you do some exercise at hom? Do a brisk walk around a shopping centre (either early morning or at night)? Up and down stairs?

The swimming pool sounds like a good idea, but on "hot" days, it can be packed with people!
  • Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I'm in Brisbane, I'm up at Sparrow's to run - I'm normally home before 6am.. so I'm out at around 5, 4.50amish..

I also do stuff indoors (like shred) with the air-con cranked!