P90X Beginner

Options
So, after a bit of debate and a near 25lb weight loss - I'm going to be starting P90X on Friday.
This time a year my depression and eating is usually in full swing so this is going to really help keep me motivated to hit my goals. I'm super excited and well aware it's going to kick my butt.

Does anyone have any advice for a beginner? Words of inspiration? Success story?

I'm totally going to be taking pictures to document progress.

Replies

• superdrood
    superdrood Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    <
    40 pounds down from HW plus some shapely muscle tone added in 4 months with the help of P90X. Do eet and as Tony Horton says, "Keep pushing play, keep pushing play..."

Best of luck!
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    It's hard, but don't get discouraged. "Do your best and forget the rest." :)
  • tygilliland
    Options
    I am in week 9 of P90X after staring from being very out of shape. My suggestion....completely buy in to everything Tony says. Some stuff may be really difficult for you, as it was for me, but just keep working and it will get so much better. Even on things that you think "I can't do that", just do the best you can to do something that closely resembles the exercise and you will be fine. I have lost 25 lbs in the 9 weeks and I absolutely love the program.
  • smpreston
    smpreston Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    After three failed attempts at tackling P9X, I finished my first round back in August. I'm now less than three weeks away from finishing up a hybrid round of P90X and TurboFire. I've lost 35 pounds and feel so much better about myself. I started out at 221.5 lbs. on my 5'11" frame. I had a hard time with some of the moves, especially in plyo. But, I got through it and now I can do about everything.

My best advice is to get together with a good group to help keep you accountable. That was the biggest help for me. Seeing where other people struggled or succeeded and sharing those stories helped me more than anything else. I also highly recommend taking your before pictures and measurements. I didn't do that and I regret it. If you are having trouble per the scale, pictures and measurements often tell a different story.
  • dadoffo
    dadoffo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I'm at week 10 of the Lean program and lost 10lbs and 3 inches off my waist. I do 6 on and then 1 day of rest. I missed a couple of days in my 10 weeks but no biggie. It takes some dedication cause the work out is almost an hour long but it is worth your time. It always feels great at the end. At the beginning some of the routine was hard to follow but the good thing about it is that Tony will show you different ways of doing the exercise. If you have to cheat a little bit that is fine but in time you will be able to do it properly.

Good luck and if you have someone to do it with it will be better. I'm doing it with my 12 year old son and sometimes my 7 and my 4 year old will join in.
  • JamesBurkes
    JamesBurkes Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Yes, and join some groups here (or on the BeachBody forums) so you can compare and contrast your experiences with others. It's a very well designed program but be prepared to work hard!

I also did a couple of weeks to get used to the workouts before starting properly. This was great for me as some days I was so sore I wouldn't have stuck with it if I'd have just jumped in - I needed those extra rest days at first.

Just do your best and aim to do a little better every workout. The first time I did Plyo I stopped after four rounds. The next time I decided to do it all, with as many pauses as I needed and it took me 2 hours! Within 6 weeks I was doing the whole thing without pausing. Ditto Yoga. The first workout was really tough. But even by the second workout, I felt more stable and in control of the postures.

Good luck!
  • ArtistisTrista
    ArtistisTrista Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. :) It's definitely amazing to hear and see the various results. Everyone looks AMAZING! I'm sure I can stick it out, too. Played soccer for almost ten years and I hated to run. (Don't ask me how that works, it just did.) I'm actually starting this morning. Woke up so sick yesterday, ugh! But I'm ready to tackle the day, quite literally.

I did skim the videos and I think it's great they're suited to go to what you CAN do without some buffed up trainer telling you to do this many reps and sets. Always felt like I was concentrating too much on counting than my body and doing the excercise correctly. Well. Here goes nothin'! :)
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    I have done it a few time, ether Classic or Doubles each time.

Some rounds I did better then others.

At first I was not as carefull with my diet, and my protein (and calorie) levels were to low, and my results reflected that.

As I begin to focus on tweaking my Diet (I don't eat clean, but make good food choices with a free/refeed day once a week), and begin to raise my protein levels, lift heavy, and eat enough calories - thats when I really saw the most dramatic results in fat loss, body changes, and strength gains.

Just do the best you can do, and everyday is a new day. If you miss a few days - just come back, and continue. It is worth it.