Walking for excercise - Am I just cheating myself?

Options
I walk and jog on a treadmill. The 3 mph walk on the treadmill is more brisk than walking a dog, and 4 mph is a good jog. I walk 4 min (4x) and jog 1 min (3x) plus cool down. I go 1 mile in 20 min. which equates to 3 mph. The treadmill says I burned 120 calories. Am I lying to myself when I post my excercise at 4 mph (brisk walk)?

Replies

• aochoa123
    aochoa123 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    The only sure way to know how many calories you burned is to get an HRM. I would just about bet you are cheating yourself and are burning more than the 120 cals the treadmil says.
  • kscarlett24
    kscarlett24 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    The readouts on the machines are always off, I find they are often too high rather than low. The best way to tell is with a BodyBugg or something like that. I bought one in June and was shocked at how different my actual calories burnt were compared to what the cardio machine was telling me.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    when it came to logging calories burned on MFP for me I always found in terms of accuracy

1 HRM
    2 Machines that allow you to input your stats, i.e. height/weight and have those hand held sensor things
    3 MFP excercise database

if you are trying to go by MFP's numbers and putting it in a 4 MPH is what resembles your calories burned, then go ahead. I found later on as I was using MFP I created and modified excercises to closer reflect what my Polar HRM calories burned showed. for me MFP excercises always underestimated my calories burned. anywhere from 300-500.
  • Saisha23
    Saisha23 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have found, investing in my nike plus has really helped with that. It gives me more accurate times and calories and it is always consistent. I am not always on the treadmill, I also jog outside. So my measurement is always decided by the same machine. A treadmill isn't always quite as accurate, because lets face it, you could make it go and get off and it will still be counting calories based on its computer pre-inputed numbers. People talk a lot about heart monitor calorie counters on there. I think maybe you would be better investing in one of those and then inputing whatever you feel is correct into your log and changing the calories to actual calories burned. That way you aren't cheating yourself. Good luck, whatever you decide.
  • PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above poster that a Heart Rate Monitor with calories burned and a chest strap is definitely the way to go. I suggest a Polar FT4 or above.

I jogged for 5 miles at 4.5 miles per hour last night. MFP (because it says 4.5 mph is walking) says I burned about half the amount of calories that my HRM told me I burned.
  • erinrose07
    Options
    No....I'd say you're burning the same amount of calories whether you walk 3.0 or jog 3.0...it's still 3.0 speed so.....it's probably a fair estimate. Always go by the treadmill's cals though, not MFP- Just change the number of cals burned next to the exercise to the correct amount
  • Tisha247
    Tisha247 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to remember that everything, including a HRM is an estimate.
  • rpm4him
    rpm4him Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you All - very helpful information. I think I will look into a HRM. Someone told me to make sure I was working out in a range above my normal rate.
  • iGlad
    iGlad Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    i used to follow the fat burning range on the treadmill but i tried it for a month and was falling asleep near the end as it was so slow and boring...I upped my range to to the cardio 132-142 bpm and found it more enjoyable and l actually lost weight and felt better for it. hey but we are all different and we all have different amounts to lose.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    there are so many variables an HRM is the best answer. For under 100 bux I bought my Polar F7 and still love it.

I always think of me and my good workout buddy. I am 5'2" 150 lbs and she is 6'1" and............weighs more:wink: IDK what she weighs but she is a big girl.

Ok so her legs end at my shoulder:laugh:

3.0 is a walk in the park for her, and a jog for me! She has a long stride and does 4.5.........at that speed you would see one of those funny azz videos of me on You Tube and then come visit me in the hospital.

:laugh:

Also I have tested a few things. If I do 3.0 holding my stomach muscles tight my HR is higher, if I do a arm punch, up again, if i lengthen my stride a few more points.

It is the HR that matters........the fact that you change it up is awesome! The fact your DOING IT IS AWESOMEST!!!!:drinker: