Body fat help in determining which is right.

Options
Okay. Took my measurements today. What I need help on is determining which of these %'s is correct. My former PT's BF scale said I was 23.9, my weight scale that has a BF included (I wet my feet and enter my stats) says 21.6% (w/ TBW 60.3, whatever that means, I think water weight). I purchased fat calipers awhile back but never knew how to use them. Well I took 3 measurements and I am anywhere from the low mm of total 46mm (20% BF) to the average of total 49mm (21% BF) to high of total 52 mm (22%). So which is right!!!! UGH. I'm assuming everyone will say 21%.

Today my measurements are below and have no clue how that compares to someone my height 5'2" and weght of 114.4 -116.8. I just want to lose the flab.

neck: 12"
Bust 35"
waist 28.5"
belly 30 1/2" (biggest part below belly button)
hips 34"
thigh 20 1/2"
mid thigh 18 1/2"
calf 13 1/4"
bicep 11 ish"

Replies

• leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rhonda_does_life
    rhonda_does_life Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Probably somewhere in between, the only way to really know is to go in one of those full immersion tanks like they do on the Biggest Loser. But the scales are pretty accurate, usually within 1-3%.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Body fat percentage will always have a degree of error, even the methods that are considered more accurate. The fact that your different methods are within 1-2% of each other is considered good/reasonable, and as such I would just take a rough average of those and go with it for now, OR pick one and remember the exact method so you can use that same method next time.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Based on your measurements, calculators say around 24%.

By the way, when you use your BF scale, you're NOT suppose to wet your feet. That will give you a lower number.

Biggest Loser doesn't use submersion. Previous seasons it was the Bod Pod, but lately it looks like they're use DEXA scans.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Google the navy body fat calculator and enter your measurements there. I've heard that produces pretty similar results to the body pod.
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Body fat percentage will always have a degree of error, even the methods that are considered more accurate. The fact that your different methods are within 1-2% of each other is considered good/reasonable, and as such I would just take a rough average of those and go with it for now, OR pick one and remember the exact method so you can use that same method next time.

Thankyou and I love what's in your siggy. I am concentrating too much on the crap that doesnt matter.
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Based on your measurements, calculators say around 24%.

By the way, when you use your BF scale, you're NOT suppose to wet your feet. That will give you a lower number.

Biggest Loser doesn't use submersion. Previous seasons it was the Bod Pod, but lately it looks like they're use DEXA scans.

The ONLY reason I have wet my feet is because thats what the manual told me to do. Yes, alot of the simple calculator methods on the internet made my BF anywhere from 19% to 27% so thats why I used the calipers with the actual blobs of fat it told me to measure.
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Google the navy body fat calculator and enter your measurements there. I've heard that produces pretty similar results to the body pod.

What's Body pod?
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Okay well now I have from 19%-30%. I entered 114 lbs at 62" with hips, waist and neck and the navy bozcalc spit out 30%. Feels like forever until I lose anything. I workout and eat rigth especailly sicne this past Septemeber and its not moving. Guess I need to add cals

My waist to hip ratio is .82 saying at high risk for coronary disease.

Here's what I got on another site and yes I carry most my fat at my navel area:

Body Fat Estimation:

Results:

According to your measurements of a 28.5 inches waist and weight of pounds your body fat percentage is estimated to be 24.40 %. This method is not as accurate as a water displacement test, but is usually within 1-3%. Some people with an especially small waist may have a negative number. If you carry all your extra weight around your middle you may have an elevated percentage. Please note that this middle weight is a high risk factor for heart disease and stroke. The waist to hip ratio calculator can give you more information.

The average body fat percentage for U.S. females is around 32%, with the ideal at 22%. Athletic females should be around 15-20%. You could have an eating disorder if you are below 10%. Remember these are guidelines; your physician should help you determine the ideal weight and body fat for you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Then there's this on the SAME sight:

Body Mass Index (BMI) Calculation:

Results:

According to your height of 5' 2" and weight of 114 pounds your body mass index is 20.9. This calculation is solely based on your height and weight.

The recommended weight range for your height is between 107 and 136 pounds. In this range, your BMI will be between 19.5 and 24.9, which is recommended by health professionals.

This calculator only applies to adults ages 18 and up - it should not used for children, adolescents, or women who are pregnant or breastfeeding. Please consult your doctor before attempting to make any significant change in your weight.

If you are an athlete with a low body fat percentage (click here to calculate your body fat %) your BMI may be in the 27 to 29 range. While this is above the recommended score, the strength of your cardiovascular system may offset the risks of the higher weight. Your physician can give you the best guidance on a proper weight.
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr