Is there any vegetarian people here?

Options
Im going to start living a healthier lifestyle by going vegetarian ;DDD

Replies

• McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    There's a TON of veggies on here, vegans too.

I'm 95% lacto ovo and 5% pescetarian :wink:

Feel free to friend me!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Going vegetarian isn't automatically healthier. Make sure you do a lot of research and maintain a balanced diet and make sure you get enough protein.
  • jadebvb92
    Options
    ilookthetype has a really good point. I am a lacto ovo vegetarian.. feel free to add me or contact me if you have any questions or just want some more support :D
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I am going vegeatrian as well, and in this post you will see people against it, but really as someone on my way to going vegan, I feel great and don't get sick, even when everyone else is, I have energy and am pumped about my workouts, and weight loss has been great since I started my journey to vegan. Ignore those who say it's not practical beacuse we humans were not built for meat.
  • rajivdubey
    rajivdubey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I am vegetarian! Been veg all my life and will be veg all my life!
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Also feel free to add me!!! Good luck on your journey!
  • limismith
    limismith Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have met more veggies here than on any previous site! Add me! That goes for anyone, not just vegetarians...

And I agree, vegetarian/vegan is not necessarily a healthier lifestyle. Just like anything else, you have to work at it. There are a lot of (yummy,tempting) fried veggies in this world!!!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Going vegetarian isn't automatically healthier. Make sure you do a lot of research and maintain a balanced diet and make sure you get enough protein.

I agree 100% I was a veggie for over 10 years, and it didn't help me loose a pound.
  • queenpushycat
    queenpushycat Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Of course! I am a full-fledged vegetarian... not a vegan though.. :) I don't eat meat, I don't eat fish.
  • TheLongRunner
    TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian. Been one since I was 2. Feel free to add me!
  • MrsT_2009
    MrsT_2009 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    There's a TON of veggies on here, vegans too.

I'm 95% lacto ovo and 5% pescetarian :wink:

Feel free to friend me!

I like the way McFatterton worded this - I'm 95% lacto ovo and 5% pescetarian - because that's me too! Feel free to add me. And welcome!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian here! :)

It didn't help me lose weight, I was already overweight. You can still eat lots of fat and sugars without eating meat. Believe me I know :laugh:

You can get plenty of protein being a vegetarian, just make sure you do your research. Feel free to friend me. My dairy is open as well.
  • skinnyramona
    skinnyramona Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Im a vegetarian! i have been for almost 2 years
  • ablykins
    ablykins Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Limiting animal based products in the diet can be a great way to achieve improved health and wellness! Like has been mentioned, just make sure you include a variety of plant based foods to cover all your nutrient needs. I'm a vegetarian- but keep my egg and dairy consumption under 10% of my total calories. Feel free to add me. :-)
  • 1smemae94
    1smemae94 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Hey, there are alot of vegetarians on here. Feel free to add me! Just going vegetarian won't make you lose weight though. Make sure you research nutrition so you do this healthy.
  • lauramonster
    Options
    I'm a vegan!
  • Chelseazavala
    Options
    Im not just doing it for weight,im doing it for the animals too :D
  • 16mixingbowls
    16mixingbowls Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Im not just doing it for weight,im doing it for the animals too :D

Just make sure to put yourself first, over the animals. Evolutionarily, some people need to use the food sources from their environment. Don't sacrifice your dietary needs because you think it saves an animal that was probably created as a crop. (Oh darn, I'm going to get it for this.) Also please consider that thousands of insects, ground animals, and birds are killed from pesticides and farming. If you really care, eat ORGANIC.

Last thing. I had a friend who was vegan, and so one day she ate a HUGE plate of rice, french fries, and pasta with olive oil. NOT HEALTHFUL!!!
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I was born and raised a vegetarian (no meat whatsoever, I eat some dairy). I've never found protein to be an issue. It is easy to get protein as a vegetarian. Protein is found in most fruits, vegetables, and nuts. Dark green vegetables are especially high in protein. Then there are always legumes. Regardless, US eats more protein than any other country and has more health issues. Eating more protein does assist with dieting and feeling full.

As a vegetarian, I'm much more concerned about sufficient iron. So track your iron and if you aren't getting what you need take a supplement. Frankly I think everyone should be taking a multivitamin daily. I take a multivitamin with iron as well as a potassium supplement daily. Can't say enough about the benefits.

Though it is possible to be healthier as a vegetarian, there are a lot of unhealthy vegetarians. French fries, candy bars, soda, and the like are not meat products. Make healthy choices, all things in moderation. And certainly being a vegetarian does not give you a leg up on weight loss. Weight is merely a result of calories in, calories out.

Best of luck! Have fun with it.
  • floreo22
    floreo22 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    As a vegetarian, I'm much more concerned about sufficient iron. So track your iron and if you aren't getting what you need take a supplement. Frankly I think everyone should be taking a multivitamin daily. I take a multivitamin with iron as well as a potassium supplement daily. Can't say enough about the benefits.

Though it is possible to be healthier as a vegetarian, there are a lot of unhealthy vegetarians. French fries, candy bars, soda, and the like are not meat products. Make healthy choices, all things in moderation. And certainly being a vegetarian does not give you a leg up on weight loss. Weight is merely a result of calories in, calories out.

i completely agree. i've been vegetarian since i was 11 and protein has always been easy to come by, it's the iron i struggle with too! muti-vitamins are a great idea, certainly to start with, as you get used to having to think about your iron. you might find you get enough in your diet through things like nuts, but it's always best to be on the safe side. feel free to friend me as a fellow vegetarian