Protein Shakes??

Options
Ok I see a lot of people posting about Protein shakes,,, my questions are
1. Is it in Place of a meal or is it just a snack?
2. What do you put in them and how much?
3. Do they really help with weight loss??

thanks for all the help!!!

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    1. I pretty much use them as a snack.

2. You can mix with just water, or it tastes better with milk. My favorite is in a blender with milk, ice and a banana.

3. They just help you reach you protien goals, which should be 1 gram for every pound of lean body mass. Reaching this goal helps maintain muscle as you lose weight. You body will use stored muscle for energy along with stored fat as it loses weight. Many people end up thin but still flabby due to loss of muscle. Hitting your protien goals along with exercise and weight training helps to minimize this so you get thin AND keep most of your muscle.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    You can drink whenever you want. Only food can leave you with a real full feeling. And weight loss is all about eating under your maintenance.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Your level of satiety will be much higher if you do not drink your calories. Keeping in mind there are several protein options on the market. Some with few carbs / fat, and some others with higher levels and more calories. You need to find one that fits into your nutrition.

I use them to fill in gaps where I need protein to meet my goals for the day and only if necessary as I'd rather chew my calories.

I mix mine with oatmeal if I want carbs or peanut butter if I want fat, or both.

A protein shake isn't going to cause you to lose weight. A deficit of calories is going to cause you to lose weight.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Caloric deficit causes weight loss, but protein shakes can help since they keep you full. I drink them as a post-workout snack. They're perfect for refueling your body! Drink them with milk, peanut butter, mix it into oatmeal... they're very versatile :D
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Im on a very low Carb/Fat and high protein diet (Dukan Diet) and use protein shakes as either a meal replacement (2scoops) or a snack (1 scoop)
    I just add Water due to the fact we use semi skimmed milk in our house and get my allocation of milk in my coffee/tea
    on my diet its certainly helped me loose weight as the body is forced to get carbs from fat reserves
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    For me it is a snack, and it is a good way to get both your fruit and protein. I mix berries and/or banana with whey protein. I use almond milk as the liquid.

You could use it as a before or after workout drink as well.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    i use mine to supplement my calories, so i drink a few a day. I mix them with water, i prefer the consistency. I mix vanilla with fruit juice to make smoothies and peanut butter and banana to chocolate shakes. And they do help weight loss, if you read labels (it took a while to find one to meet my goals).
  • Moms3Kwa
    Options
    How do you post that on your food tracker, calorie count? Call me chicken, this being my first week. I haven't entered anything that has to be broken down.

Thanks!!!
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    How do you post that on your food tracker, calorie count? Call me chicken, this being my first week. I haven't entered anything that has to be broken down.

Thanks!!!
    lolwut.jpg
  • mrslaw85
    mrslaw85 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am a diabetic and use protein powder usually in a shake about 30 to 45 minutes prior to my Bootcamp class to help me not crash my blood sugar levels and give me a little boost. I researched a lot prior to choosing one. Some are not great for you. I agree with others that it is best not to replace a meal but if you usually skip a certain meal then it is better than just a cup of coffee or pop.
  • KatFierce
    KatFierce Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I use jay robb vanilla whey protein its sweetened with stevia and is the most natural and best tasting Ive found. I use 1/2 scoop to 1 scoop for a snack mixed with some almond milk and water in a blender with frozen strawberries and banana. Its not bad actually. I think it helps alot with weight loss as this keeps me pretty full for not a ton of calories. I use it as a post workout snack. Ill also have some crackers with it or some trail mix most of the time.
  • fatguyweightloss
    Options
    When I had more weight to lose I used them as snacks to make it between meals. Now, I don't really need them to feel satisfied between meals. Bu tlike others said be careful with the additions, adding a banana, scoop of peanut butter, fill with milk, and you now no longer have a snack but a pretty high calorie meal.
  • KatFierce
    KatFierce Posts: 252 Member
    Options

Thanks!!!
    I searched for my type of protein powder wich was in the system, or you can create a food or just do quick tools and add the calories of it. Then I track any other ingredients as if they were food, like 1/2 a banana or something.
  • bhawkins0711
    bhawkins0711 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    On most days I use them as a meal replacement for breakfast. I get up around 4:30 am. Before my weight loss journey, I was not eating breakfast until around 9 or 10 am. So I started drinking the protein shakes first thing in the morning to jump start my metabolism. I use a low cal/low sugar protein mix called Nitro-Tech. 1 scoop has 25 g protein, 3 g sugar, 110 calories per scoop. I usually mix it with 1-1.5 cups of almond milk, which is 40 calories for a cup.