Diabetes

Options
Feeling like crap yesterday and today. Had a low of 35 about 3 this morning. I hate waking up shaky, sweaty and the room spinning. I always tend to over eat to compensate a low, I ate a bowl of sugary cereal. I take a lot of insulin. My diabetes is slowly killing me and I need to get this weight off. I am so depressed, frustrated and angry(hormones), and will be 50 on the 13th. I have a lot of things against me. I honestly feel it is too late. I feel I need to start the digging process and sit back and wait.

Sorry for venting here. Yesterday was BAD but I do feel a little better this morning.

Thanks For Listening
Tina

Replies

• sheffyce27
    Options
    you can change your life at ANY time. you have to the power to do it, you just need to want it bad enough and if it's type 2 diabetes you may be able to beat that right out of yourself with enough hard work and dedication. eat to live do not live to eat. good luck!

p.s. exercise is a great anti depressant!
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're struggling and feeling down.
    All I can say is that we can all make it and you can start by making a good choice in your next meal. It's never too late. You can do this!
    Good luck!
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    C'mon! You can do this thing! I am 52 and I am in the process of kicking diabetes *kitten*! Read my profile! Exercise - a short walk - will help a great deal. Start with s slow short walk and build up gradually. I'm sure you have been shown how to eat properly, it's not easy, but it is not torture either. Very doable, you just have to do it plain and simple.
    Feeling like crap yesterday and today. Had a low of 35 about 3 this morning. I hate waking up shaky, sweaty and the room spinning. I always tend to over eat to compensate a low, I ate a bowl of sugary cereal. I take a lot of insulin. My diabetes is slowly killing me and I need to get this weight off. I am so depressed, frustrated and angry(hormones), and will be 50 on the 13th. I have a lot of things against me. I honestly feel it is too late. I feel I need to start the digging process and sit back and wait.

Sorry for venting here. Yesterday was BAD but I do feel a little better this morning.

Thanks For Listening
    Tina
  • KelliHatfield1
    Options
    Diabetes can cause such horrible depression. Cheer up and know that you've came to the right place, the people this website have been keeping me on track. If you ever need a friend to vent to, feel free to send me a message. We are in this together!
  • poulingail
    Options
    I am replying because I hear the desperation and hopelessness in your post. I am Type 2 non-insulin dependent so I really can't say I understand your pain. I am not under the same pressure. What I do know is all is not lost. Everyone can make a change. I don't mean reinvent yourself overnight. I mean, take it one step at a time. Allow the change to come over you slowly with small actions that turn you in the right direction. What can you do right now, at this moment that is positive? Is it go for a brief walk? Check your blood sugar and track it more often so you have tighter control? Prepare for lows in a better way so you're not making choices that hurt your end game? Pick one thing that you can do and do it. Pat yourself on the back and move on to the next hour of your life. What choice can you offer yourself then, and on, and on. You will not be at the best place tomorrow but you can be facing that place. Hang in there, you can do it.
  • mtc1971
    Options
    I am also diabetic all though I do not take insulin. I will be 59 on the 14th so we ca grow "better" together. I feel like you do, why do I always have to be careful & not eat what I want. I am slowly starting to realize that I need to feel & look better for ME, not husband, boyfriend, parents, siblings or whomever. This I need to do for myself. If there is anything I can do, let me know, I will try & help. You CAN get your insulin under control, it will take time but YOU are worth it.
  • mrslaw85
    mrslaw85 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am a diabetic too and joined MFP and a local Bootcamp to start controlling it better. My last DR's apt in August was terrible and I left feeling like "why bother" then I got angry. What type are you? Are you trying to do this all on your own? Is your weight under control or out of control like mine? Feel free to send me a message if you want to chat. I am by no means a medical professional but I have done a lot of reading, meeting with physicians and learning this past couple of months.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I'm also a diabetic particularly type 2 though I'm not taking insulin yet (And I hope I won't go thru that stage) & I'm only 32. I was also like that before & this thing really sucks but you know what, this very same thing is one of my main reason to change my sedentary lifestyle & got me to where I am now. If you haven't been working out for a long time, start with a 10 min low intensity cardio such as walking.

I know I'm a lot younger than you are but I believe that age is just a number & there are several older people who were once sickly & frail but went on to regain their youthful strength with a change in their diet & lifestyle. The only thing that limits you to do things is YOU. Unless you let yourself be weak, you can have total control on your well-being.
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Hey!! come on Buck up, Im 50 next August and youve got everything to live for. Looking at your weight indicator youve already lost 4lb so your on the right road. My Doc told me im in the diabetic weighting room and to do a u turn i had to loose weight ive done that, so far and im on the right road .......so im waiting for you to catch up.
    Take a walk to the end of the street and back its a start, look at the guys and gals on here that could hardly walk and are now running Im never gona be an Athlete but im gona have a good go Life's to short to throw in the towel listen to everyone and lets get your next 1Lb off, you can do it !!!
  • landlwoof
    landlwoof Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Awwwww Tina, I'm so sorry for how you're feeling. I am Type 1 diabetic (wear an insulin pump) and know all to well the depression being overweight and having diabetes can create. But........we have to do this for our kids if we can't do it for ourselves. You have an opportunity to rid yourself of this horrible disease, an opportunity I don't have, and I know you can do it. You just have to step out of your situation and take a look. ALL you have to do is make better choices and get that body moving.....just a little bit at first. Because it's not just that diabetes can kill us, it maims us first and is that a way you want to live? You have it within your power to change it all.........please don't throw that gift away.
    Lows suck and add a bunch of extra calories we don't need. I know, because when I overeat due to one I feel defeated and VERY depressed. But I have to remember that one moment doesn't dictate my overall health. What kinds of insulin are you on. Because you have to remember to adjust your doses before you exercise otherwise you will eat/drink all your calories burned. I can help you there if you want.
    Hold on, take baby steps and we can do this a day a time. He!!, just like alcohol, we can do this an HOUR at a time!!
  • tdoerr2
    Options
    I want to Thank Each and everyone of you for your kind words and support. That is exactly what I needed this morning. I am so glad I was introduced to MFP. I feel like I am home. I have never really been depressed like this before, that is why I was contributing it to hormones. I have been on insulin for over 10 yrs.

My last dr appt went like this: Doc "Well you are at a catch 22. The more insulin you take the more weight you gain, the more weight you gain the more insulin you take. If you do not do something now I do not expect to see you for your next appt in 6 months." Me On the inside: Well it's over I might as well give up, roll over and die. That next appt is Monday. I lost 58 pounds a couple of yrs ago but I did that by stopping my insulin.

Thanks again

I will carry on!!
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    You don't have permission to give up. So don't. You are worth fighting for. Your family is worth fighting for. Make the change.

Someone already mentioned walking. Do it. 20 minutes at a time at as brisk a pace as you can reasonably manage. Find a soft track or a turf field to walk on. It will be much easier on the joints. Your joints aren't used to the stress and road work may lead to a very discouraging injury.
    Also get you some decent shoes. Don't be surprised if you are replacing them every 6 months. At my starting weight, I was destroying the insoles well before they looked bad. As a result, they quit providing the support they were supposed to and irritated my back, knees, and ankles.
    Why walk? The cardio will burn calories and help regulate your blood sugar. It will help the fat come off, thus reducing your insulin resistance. It will help with stress and anxiety due to endorphin release and improved blood chemistry.

I am sure the doctor or a dietitian has already covered the diet aspect.

Friend me if you like. I am bouncing back from my doctor yelling at me about metabolic syndrome two years ago.
  • gretchensdoll
    Options
    So sorry things seem so bleak but I think you have a leg up on most ppl. You have a desire to be healthy and are honest enough to face and talk about it. These provide both options and striving to learn what will work for YOU! Endocrinologists are a great resource to help balance hormones. Most of the time as ladies our OB's tend to provide hormone help but since you have another hormone it's more pertinent because if one hormone is off they are all tipped off balance. I've heard ppl balance themselves of high bs and lows with so many different diets it would make your head spin but it is possible.Sometimes it's amino acids, enzymes or minerals that are the magic key. I'm also a believer in getting sleep studies. I learned when I got mine that I have sleep apnea. They told me 2 telltale signs if a person's neck is thick or they are overweight and either tried all the time or depressed it's worth checking it out. When you finally have the energy from sleeping well it's amazing how much easier it is to exercise! Wishing you strength on your journey to wellness- you can do it!