P90X questions ...

Options
So I was wondering .. should you be certain level of fitness before starting this program? I read about atheletes or already fit people starting it but I'm neither.

Right now, I do 40 minutes of low-impact cardio in the mornings and 40 mintues of strength and tone yoga in the afternoons followed by 45 minutes of classical stretch. It's just a routine that I've worked up to over the past month. I do different types of cardio and strength routines so I'm not really bored yet. I just discovered that if I wanted, I could liberate the videos from a pack-rat friend of mine who never even bothered to take off the shrink wrap.

Any advice? I don't want to injur myself as I'm no longer in my 20's, hehe. I found the schedule online. Are all these routines 90 minutes?

Replies

• hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    So I was wondering .. should you be certain level of fitness before starting this program? I read about atheletes or already fit people starting it but I'm neither.

Right now, I do 40 minutes of low-impact cardio in the mornings and 40 mintues of strength and tone yoga in the afternoons followed by 45 minutes of classical stretch. It's just a routine that I've worked up to over the past month. I do different types of cardio and strength routines so I'm not really bored yet. I just discovered that if I wanted, I could liberate the videos from a pack-rat friend of mine who never even bothered to take off the shrink wrap.

Any advice? I don't want to injur myself as I'm no longer in my 20's, hehe. I found the schedule online. Are all these routines 90 minutes?
  • spukal
    spukal Posts: 1
    Options
    P90X has a "test" to take at the beginning of the program to ensure you are at a minimum fitness level to start. Based on your current workout program, you would likely pass the test.

The 12 different P90X workouts are about an hour long (one is 90 minutes). Just for clarification, the 90 in P90X is in reference to the length of the program for a total body transformation in - 90 days (not a reference to the time each workout takes).
  • psmith1964
    Options
    Ghanie,
    I have been doing P90X for about a year now. How long have you been following your current fitness regimen? That will help me give some more informed advice. I have been doing P90X for about a year now. I am on my fourth "round" and I am in the best shape of my life at 44(almost 45). If you want to read my story and see before and after pictures visit:
    http://www.milliondollarbody.com/coachpaulatx
    Let me know if I can do anything else to help!

Paul
  • sandy429
    sandy429 Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Hello. Yes, I think based on your current schedule, you'd pass the fitness test easily. The only thing in question is the pullups, but not many of us started out being able to do one. The workouts are about an hour, and the yoga routine is 90 minutes. It is a 90-day intense program that will deliver results if you give it your all.

Many of us are Beachbody coaches (myself included) because we have gotten incredible results and truly believe in their products. I'm 37 and have done three rounds (270 days) and am currently doing a P90X+ routine. You can do it! Send me a message, and I can tell you how to get started!

Happy Easter!
  • csnook2
    csnook2 Posts: 20
    Options
    It is true that P90X is not a beginners program. However, people have started it from a zero level of fitness. Considering that you have been doing different cardio and strength training, you could start . Know that very few people have the ability to keep up with the "kids" in the videos straight out of the box.If you choose to do it, work on it AT YOUR PRESENT LEVEL. If you struggle with a move, modify until you can keep up. The workouts range from 45 minutes to 92 miutes(for YogaX) with an average length of 60 minutes. Do you have a coach within Beachbody to help you? My wife and I are coaches, and if you don't have one, we would LOVE to help you along on your journey! You can e-mail me through the system here if interested! Oh, BTW, I'm 44, my wife is 40. We have done 2 rounds of P90X, 1 round of Power 90, a round Slim in SIx, some TurboJam, and are just finishing up our first round of ChaLEAN Extreme.

Best,

Craig
  • crimefighter2
    crimefighter2 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I am contemplating starting this program - is it "ok" to also run? I would plan to do this program first thing, and then run over my lunch hour. (I've been working out over my lunch hour since November - basically 5 days a week. I enjoy the lunch hour run at the gym)

Thanks
  • hiddensecant
    Options
    I have been doing P90X for about a year now. How long have you been following your current fitness regimen? That will help me give some more informed advice.

I have an online business and spent most of my days and/or nights working on the computer for about a year. So I went from mostly sedentary to the current schedule in one month. This saturday will mark 5 weeks into my quest to get fit and healthy.

No I don't have a coach. I just found the videos collecting dust at a friend's house who said I could borrow them if I wanted. So it got me thinking .. I only really know what I read on the forums about it. So I thought I'd ask.
  • trenauldo
    trenauldo Posts: 235
    Options
    ghanie... The only individual workout that's longer than 60 minutes is Yoga X which lasts 90 minutes. On the strength days, you'll usually have the strength workout of 60 or so minutes and Ab Ripper X right afterward which is 16 minutes.

My first answer is by the numbers, which is to say P90X has a "fit test" that you can take to see where you are compared to where they think a person "should" be fitenss-wise before they try P90X because it is a serious program. You can find that if you go to beachbody.com and click on P90X near the center of the screen. Scroll down to where it says "3 GUIDES TO GET YOU STARTED!", and to the right, there's a pic of Tony Horton with the caption "Lean more about P90X." This will open up a new small browser window. On the list to the right, click on "IS P90X FOR YOU?" and you'll find a link to download a PDF of the Fit Test. Give that a shot, and you'll have an idea of where you're at as compared to what the program's designers think a person should be.

Now, my personal response. Like any workout program, the success you realize will be directly impacted by your dedication and determination. Having said that, if you personally feel up to the challenge of the workouts, you can decide to go for it. One of the two winners of Beachbody's $250,000 transformation challenge last month started his fitness journey with P90X. When he started, he could barely make it through the warm up! He's since lost 190 lbs and looks nothing like he did when he started. I'd say that as long as you are in-touch with your body and know how to push far enough to challenge yourself but not hard enough to injure, you can do it.

I think that part of the reason they prefer folks to have some level of fitness before they jump into P90X is 1) the workouts are intense and can be intimidating, especially to someone who's just getting started, 2) they want people to succeed, and having a person get intimidated or discouraged doesn't serve that goal, and 3) the person who is trying to do something to improve their health who tries P90X and feels like they're failing may not only quit P90X but may quit trying to find a healthier path for their lives.

Ultimately, it's up to you. That window above where I directed you to the Fit Test also tells you about each of the workouts, so know what you're getting into. Understand that P90X is a diverse program, and you will do lots of yoga and stretching, but you'll do lots of intense cardio and intense weight training. The program's motto is "Bring It", and to me, that means you have to bring your best attitude and best effort to this program so that it can change you. Every week, I see my body changing, and that motivates me to keep pressing on six days a week. It's tough, but it's not insurmountable, and the reward is well worth the work.

Best of luck to you in your fitness journey!
  • csnook2
    csnook2 Posts: 20
    Options
    I am contemplating starting this program - is it "ok" to also run? I would plan to do this program first thing, and then run over my lunch hour. (I've been working out over my lunch hour since November - basically 5 days a week. I enjoy the lunch hour run at the gym)

Thanks
    [/quote

There are people that do run while doing a rotation of the program. My suggestion would be to substitute the running for the cardio days. By doing the complete program, AND attempting to run on top of that, you run the risk of over training and injury. The biggest issue will be to ensure that you are taking in enough calories! I will extend the offer of coaching to you also, if you don't already have one! We thoroughly enjoy paying it forward!

Best,

Craig
  • hiddensecant
    Options
    Thanks for the link. I found the fitness test. Wow, 40 minutes .. I think I'll do it instead of my afternoon yoga, hehe. Thanks, I'll let you know how I do.
  • trenauldo
    Options

Thanks
    Crimefighter... I wouldn't expect to see any problems if you're getting in extra cardio in the form of running with this program. In fact, the running is still going to be the activity that puts the most mechanical stress on your body's joints. I think the key here is to pay close attention to your body, making sure you're not feeling any stress or overuse injuries coming on. Even so, I would expect the extra caloric burn would be a good thing, particularly if you're still wanting to effect some more fat loss. For me, P90X plus my martial arts training is more than enough for me; I couldn't imagine tacking a run onto both of those. Good luck to you!
  • trenauldo
    Options
    Thanks for the link. I found the fitness test. Wow, 40 minutes .. I think I'll do it instead of my afternoon yoga, hehe. Thanks, I'll let you know how I do.
    ghanie... Wonderful! I started a P90X thread on here, and the first post has my fit test results listed there if you're interested. I'll look forward to seeing how you did. Go get 'em.!
  • heather93277
    Options
    I'll just add my 2 cents... when I started I was very out of shape and I have major back problems. I didn't pass the fit test cause I couldn't do a pull up (not even one). I decided to do the modified pull ups (using a chair for help/support) and did my best at the rest of the exercises.. they kicked my butt but I survived and it is getting easier!

How can I do it? I LISTEN to my body!! I definitely have strong days and not so strong days, but I hang in there and am beginning to see results.

If you have the determination to stick with this program, you can do it :smile:
  • hiddensecant
    Options
    Oops, no measuring tape. I'll have to get one later today or tomorrow.

I'll do more reading on the site. Thanks everyone!
  • hiddensecant
    Options
    So I was just browsing some of these titles and I was wondering .. would you classify Kenpo or Core Synergistics as cardio?

And what exactly is Core Synergistics?
  • trenauldo
    Options
    So I was just browsing some of these titles and I was wondering .. would you classify Kenpo or Core Synergistics as cardio?

The Kenpo X workout is most definitely cardio in nature. It has that title because the moves during the workout have their origin in Kenpo karate, so you'll be doing lots of punching, kicking, stepping back and forth. It really works up a good sweat (Plyometrics is much more of a beast I think).

Core Synergistics focuses on... the core, from the chest down to the quads and all the way around. If I had to characterize it, I'd say it was part cardio, part bodyweight strength training. It's a tough, tough workout if you're core muscles need work (and challenging even if they are), but it's all good. This one will also get you sweating good and get your heart rate up there; definitely a calorie-burner.
  • hiddensecant
    Options

The Kenpo X workout is most definitely cardio in nature. It has that title because the moves during the workout have their origin in Kenpo karate, so you'll be doing lots of punching, kicking, stepping back and forth. It really works up a good sweat (Plyometrics is much more of a beast I think).

Core Synergistics focuses on... the core, from the chest down to the quads and all the way around. If I had to characterize it, I'd say it was part cardio, part bodyweight strength training. It's a tough, tough workout if you're core muscles need work (and challenging even if they are), but it's all good. This one will also get you sweating good and get your heart rate up there; definitely a calorie-burner.

Ok cool, I'm going to play with them over the next week or so just to get a feel for what the videos are like and I wanted to make sure the cardio ones were in the morning. Thanks again!

I really enjoy martial arts (studied it as a child) and was thinking of swapping some of my power yoga with some Tae Bo but Kenpo sounds good too.
  • Skrib
    Skrib Posts: 18
    Options
    I am going to throw my two cents in - I started a month ago and while very athletic when younger that seems like a long time ago! Anyway, my personal advice would be to not be intimidated by the fit test. When you start getting into it you will see that Tony and his crew offer plenty of alternatives to either lower or increase the intesity of each move. And you may surprise yourself at what you can do when committed - I certainly did.

I will just add that once you get through the first week you will be hooked. It is very cleverly put together to ensure you stay committed each and every day. As for results, after 25 days my friends and family are already commenting on how more solid I look and two work colleagues have just ordered the DVD's as a result!
  • trenauldo
    Options
    ghanie... I've been involved in martial arts for about a good 10+ years now. I've only had to use it in defense once; other than that, it's always been and continues to be an excellent path for personal growth and learning. While it's up to you to swap Kenpo or TaeBo for the Yoga, I would personally recommend against it. My reasons are that Yoga X addresses areas of fitness that martial arts-based cardio workouts like Kenpo X and TaeBo (I've only done one Billy Blanks workout some years ago, so he may have changed things by now) generally do not, those being sustained balance, total body coordination, muscular endurance, flexibility, and relaxation of the mind. I believe like Tony Horton in that this is an area that most folks pursuing fitness tend to ignore or dismiss, but a well-rounded program should really include it. In my opinion, yoga should really stay in your program. I also think some folks are bothered by it not because of the difficulty involved (there is that certainly) but because yoga work takes you out of the huff-n-puff exercises and puts you in a place where you have to pay close attention to your body, listen to it, and be in touch with yourself and alone with your thoughts. These days, with younger folks especially, they're so bombarded by things moving all the time (video games, cell phones, Internet) that it becomes genuinely uncomfortable for them to do something for 60-90 minutes that requires their full-deliberate concentration. Again, just my opinion :: steps down off of soapbox ::

Skrib... Well written. The Fit Test is indeed to serve as your baseline to know where you're starting from, not something to scare a person away from trying. One of the things Tony says regularly is to set aside the ego and work where you are and push how you can, and I think that's the key to success. Push too little, and you don't feel like you're doing anything. Push too hard when you're not ready for it, and you get disappointed, discouraged, and quit - which is the WORST thing you can do.

Glad to hear your results are getting your colleagues interested in trying P90X. I was working out at the city park this morning with a couple of guys I hadn't met before, and I think they're both ready to go get the program. Why don't you drop me an email sometime... coachtr@live.com... I've got some information I'd like to share with you.
  • hiddensecant
    Options
    Haha, wasn't talking about Yoga X .... my current routine has been power yoga in the mornings (something else) .. and I was thinking of testing the Kenpo routine out in place of one of my power yoga mornings. Sorry for the confusion.

If anything I'll probably enjoy the YogaX a bit more than any of the others.

EDIT: I did some Tae Bo earlier today and it felt good breaking out of my yoga comfort zone, especially becuase I knew it was something that would have made me stop after the warmup only a month ago. I'll try the Kenpo tomorrow just to get a feel for it and see if I want to jump in on Monday.