weight training or cardio, which is...?

Options
more effective.i know we have to do both i get it and i want to do that. But which caused more of a difference on your body let's say you had to drop a workout would it be cardio or weights( not because of your preference) but because it would make your body "look better".

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Weight training.
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Honestly, they go hand in hand...cardio burns off the fat, and weight training tones up the muscle that's left behind. Both play large parts in making your body 'look better'
  • kenyonsmom10
    kenyonsmom10 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    weight training and resistance is going to "form" your body while cardio is going to take all the fat off to show the "formed" body..... I did weight training for 2 months ... then cardio two months ... back and forth really.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Agree with above. Weight training builds, strengthens and develops. Cardio burns calories and moves you. Best to do both.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Strenght training is trensforming my body but cardio made me lose weight (half of that weight was probably muscle)
  • EllKay23
    Options
    cardio is better in order to do weight, but add like atleast 5mins of weight training because it will boost the chances of fast and effective weigt loss (Y)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    If you could only do one I would recommend weight training.
  • bemafu
    Options
    Definitely weight training - just don’t rely on a scale for feedback. Look for muscle definition and monitor how clothes fit. Or take body measurements to help see progress or a find a good BMI calculator to track body fat percentage. Set goals on your weight training to keep motivated. You will lose inches before pounds as you add muscle. Weight training does far more good for over all health and appearance than just doing cardio.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I do both, but I strength train rather infrequently (2x a week for about a half hour). I'd miss the euphoric feeling I get from cardio a lot more.

The good news is that there's absolutely no reason to only choose one.
  • Puffins1958
    Puffins1958 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I recently joined a gym and my PT told me that I need to alternate. I also do the treadmill, but then switch between exercises for my legs, abs and arms. I find that it doesn't get boring and I get great workouts.

12117749.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • someonelikemyself
    Options
    weight training and resistance is going to "form" your body while cardio is going to take all the fat off to show the "formed" body..... I did weight training for 2 months ... then cardio two months ... back and forth really.

yeahh i agree i like how you explained it! because i need both lol
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I do both, but I strength train rather infrequently (2x a week for about a half hour). I'd miss the euphoric feeling I get from cardio a lot more.

Ditto!
  • someonelikemyself
    Options
    ohh i really like the replys i care more about shaping my body i know i have to do both but sometimes i skip the weight training because i dont hve gym membership so i get lazy. But i will definitely fit it back in soon thanks a lot!
  • briandavid96
    Options
    Both are necessary. If I had to skip one just for one day, I would forgo the weight training and just to cardio. It's a higher calorie burn for the time allowed, it keeps your metabolism going long after your through, and a good sweat just makes me feel good.

Everyone seems to be touching on why they think weight training is so important. Those reasons seem to focus on the toning effects this it has. One of the most beneficial reasons behind weight training during your quest for a more "in shape you" is that you are building lean muscle mass. That lean muscle mass requires more energy all the time. So, as you add lean muscle mass, you are effectively raising your metabolism!
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    This is quite literally like asking, "Which is better in my toolkit? A screwdriver or a hammer?".

The short answer is neither is better. You need them both.

Cardio burns calories while you are doing it and stimulates the slow twich muscle fibers that are used while doing cardio. Think dark meat on a chicken. Over time you will lean out as you shed fat. Unstimulated fast twitch muscle fiber will be depleted of glycogen and water, thus become less active and reduce in size. The cardio does wonders for blood sugar regulation if that is a concern. It also seriously improves cardio-pulmonary endurance and stamina. This is an awesome benefit for any athletic endeavor you enjoy doing, including lifting.

Resistence training does burn calories while you are doing, but not at the same rate as cardio. It stimulates the fast twitch muscle fibers used, thus encouraging the body to prime the muscle for continued action (storing glycogen and water). This encourages the body to use fat for energy rather than the readily available glycogen in muscle. The muscle has a fuller appearance and you notice it sooner as you lean out your body. Additionally the body burns more calories at rest while the muscle tissue undergoes the post workout recovery process, increasing your resting metabolic rate. This requires heavy lifting to fully stimulate and only continues when you lift on a regular basis.

So they do different things. Neglecting either is to neglect an effective tool in your fitness toolkit.
  • bluegem87
    bluegem87 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    PER MY PERSONAL TRAINER, WHEN STARTING TO WORK OUT.
    IF JUST LOOKING TO TONE - DO APPROX 6 WEEKS OF ALL OVER BODY WORKOUT// CARDIO/MAYBE ONE DAY CIRCUIT TRAINING
    AFTER 6 WEEKS LOOK AT YOUR PLAN AND EVALUATE WHAT YOU SPECIFIC ZONES YOU WOULD LIKE TO WORK ON.

FOR WEIGHT LOSS - CARDIO CARDIO CARDIO- SHAPING COMES IN AFTER YOU'VE LOST THE WEIGHT :)
  • stewartcarden
    Options
    weight training means your body burns off stuff more efficiently
    cardio does the burning off

do day in day out if you have too

only got 3 days a week to workout? do cardio - strength - cardio , and just rotate through
  • someonelikemyself
    Options
    THANKS everyone!!!! i will definitely start something balanced soon!! God help me.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    If I HAD to drop one so my body would "look better" I would drop cardio and continue with strength training.
  • gloriagm
    Options
    There are a lot of answers to your question! Experiment to see how your body reacts. Everyone is right...cardio burns calories. However...so does weight training. The more muscle you have the more calories you burn even at rest. That's part of the reason men lose weight faster than women. As a personal trainer, I would suggest alternating between cardio & weights. Cardio strengthens your heart and weights strengthens muscles, so you need both. If you are pressed for time...do the workout that you enjoy the most. Good luck!.