weights

Options
Ok I am here to lose weight, and get in better shape. I am curious about weight lifting. I have done the weights cardio weights cardio, thing. Lately I have dropped the weights for the simple reason seems to be cardio burns calories faster. I do under stand that muscle burns calories also. I have a fairly physical job, I am a carpenter so I am lifting things all day some days heavier some days lighter. I am happy with my level of strength. So I am curious on your thoughts. Is it really necessary for me to lift weights every other day? once a week? I am here to drop inches and weight, plans later to bulk up. I love cardio love the way I feel after it and want to keep doing it seven days a week so If you think I need to lift is it ok to still get my hour of cardio in before or after lifting, or should they be separated?

Replies

• bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    If you're happy with your level of strength then just concentrate on cardio for now. Cardio will help you shed the weight faster. It's OK to do both cardio and lift on the same day and during the same workout. Most fitness experts agree that the lifting should be done first because you need the energy to complete a heavy lifting workout. As you shed more and more weight then incorporating heavy lifting is a must. The weight you lose will be a combination of fat and muscle tissue and you need to lift to perserve the muscle you already have.
  • oswaldbowser
    oswaldbowser Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Keep up the weight training for many reasons !

Weights will carry on burning calories long after you have finished training and also tone your body, it will also assist in the age old problem of loose skin.

Make sure that you do weights before cardio so that you have the strength to maximise your lift and very importantly try and find a lifting partner to push and motivate you.

See if your local gym has body pump classes which means you will work with others and help keep you motivated.....

Hope this helps
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Keep up the weight training for many reasons !

Weights will carry on burning calories long after you have finished training and also tone your body, it will also assist in the age old problem of loose skin.

Make sure that you do weights before cardio so that you have the strength to maximise your lift and very importantly try and find a lifting partner to push and motivate you.

See if your local gym has body pump classes which means you will work with others and help keep you motivated.....

Hope this helps

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    THIS

Variety is important, but the fact that weights increase your calorie burn for hours following your workout while cardio really doesn't is the big reason to do both. You can still do your cardio 7 days a week if you want, but rest days from it are important as well. If you keep doing cardio every day with no rest you will face repetitive stress injuries which will be more of a hindrance to weight loss than taking one or two day off from cardio every week.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    ive found that weight training and cardio are way better for me to lose weight than cardio alone.

this beginner exercise plan worked well for me. its 3 days/week. i youtube'd the exercises i wasnt sure about.

read through the site from the beginning when you can so you understand the bigger picture.

as always there are lots of plans out there that work but this one has worked well for me.

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/

feel free to ask me any questions