struggling to reach my 1200 calories

Options

Replies

• Rewinds
    Options
    cutting out snacking all together is a bad idea for your metabolism's sake...ideally you should be eating every 3 hours and splitting your daily calories pretty evenly between 5 to 6 meals. you really should make sure to eat within an hour of waking (or an hour after working out if you work out in the morning) and if you are going to have a larger meal, it should be breakfast. this is a hard habbit to create for some, but will really boost your metabolism. protein shakes (low sugar and fat) are a good way to fill a couple of your 'meals' esp. breakfast if that is a hard one for you. good luck!

None of this is true (besides the protein shakes part)

Eating every 6 hours does NOT boost your metabolism. Eating breakfast also does NOT boost your metabolism. Breakfast does NOT have to be your largest meal.

Smh

Edit: But i do encourage others to do what works for them. If you love breakfast eat it! If you hate it then dont xD Love eating small meals? do it! Hehe :]

It may not boost your metabolism but eating breakfast helps especially if you can make it high in protein. Eating a high protein breakfast quells hunger much longer than having no breakfast, a high carb or fat breakfast. It also means that you can have a good chunk of your calories intake (E.g usually about 350 - 400) with not much trouble. For some people with a busy lifestyle this will stop snacking and when lunch times comes around you might reach over for the lighter alternative because your body is still digesting the protein you had a breakfast and thus you won't have the same cravings. Its means you can push your sugar high's and lows back longer making it easier to exercise and power on ;3
  • kikkipoo
    kikkipoo Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    i have been eating healthily and don't feel hungry, but i'm not quite reaching my 1200 calories. i normally wind up eating about 1000 - 1100. i know this isn't productive for weight loss as my body might go into starvation and end up retaining weight, so i wondered if anyone had any advice. here are, i think, the main problems i encounter:

- i am trying to avoid snacking, as this has always been how my weight has climbed before, so i'm trying to break the habit altogether, rather than just switching to other snacks as i think this might just be a slippery slope
    - i really struggle with eating breakfast, always have. i never like to eat before about 10/11am, and if i eat a big breakfast then (which would help push the calories up) i think i might put my meal times out for the whole day
    - i am a vegetarian, so i don't get the high calories of meat etc and the other big calorie intake for me comes from carbs, but i don't want to be eating a ton of carbs every day either.

please help. i know this sounds ridiculous, coming from a chub-monster, but i feel like i can't get the calories and stay on track! madness.

Same issues here...I was ending my days somewhere in the 850 range the first 2 weeks. I knew I wanted to add a little more here and there but wanted them to be pure wholesome calories, not a tblspn of seeds which would have made my fat percentage probably double at that low of a daily caloric intake. I bought protein supplements. Unjury.com sells an unflavored protein power that I sprinkle into everything. It's pure whey protein, no carbs or fat. 80 calories per scoop and 20 grams of protein. I'll add half a scoop to my morning coffee. Mix half with my greek yogurt. Scramble some in with my egg whites, put some in with some sugar free pudding, even some with my crystal light. Now I'm getting all the essential protein I need for muscle building while getting the 12-1300 calories a day I need to function and maintain my workouts. I also love GNC whey protein powder. I have tried it in both strawberry and chocolate and it is really yummy and low in sugar/carbs.
  • AmythistRae
    Options
    first to the one that gets angry...then don't read these posts.....

I am not sure where this miraculous number came from that nothing under 1200 calories a day was okay and you would go into starvation because unless you are actually starving yourself you will not go into starvation....

If you do not want to snack because it doesn't work for you don't....I know I eat a mostly raw diet and it can be tuff to get all the calories however seeing as I am down 18 pounds in two weeks from raw and only 1000 to 1100 a day calories I think you will be fine...

if you want to eat more try a smoothie, maybe a green one to get more nutrients and to boost up your calories....

also if your calories are low but liquids are high you should be fine...good luck....it is true vegetables make it hard to get more calories....
  • AmythistRae
    Options
    first to the one that gets angry...then don't read these posts.....

I am not sure where this miraculous number came from that nothing under 1200 calories a day was okay and you would go into starvation because unless you are actually starving yourself you will not go into starvation....

If you do not want to snack because it doesn't work for you don't....I know I eat a mostly raw diet and it can be tuff to get all the calories however seeing as I am down 18 pounds in two weeks from raw and only 1000 to 1100 a day calories I think you will be fine...

if you want to eat more try a smoothie, maybe a green one to get more nutrients and to boost up your calories....

also if your calories are low but liquids are high you should be fine...good luck....it is true vegetables make it hard to get more calories....
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Now I don't mean to sound rude. BUT...

You are here to lose weight. You didn't get to that position by eating under 1200 calories per day. You are obviously more than capable of eating significantly more than that for an extended period of time.

Google "calorie dense foods". Eat them. Or eat more of what you already are eating.

Also just suck it up and eat some breakfast because for one thing it will help your metabolism which will increase your appetite naturally, and remember you are eating with a purpose in mind, and food is fuel. If you want to achieve your weight loss and fitness goals then just eat like a machine even if it makes you uncomfortable. Eating 1200 calories is easy. Eating breakfast is easy. Don't like the idea of solid food in the morning? Fine, use meal replacement shakes.

This is a non-issue. If you WANT to eat 1200, you will.
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options

You can be in starvation mode without starving yourself. it is a bodily reaction having to do with many factors including how many calories you eat, burn, and what nutrients you are getting.not getting, etc. People need to do a little research. (it's easty- you type something into Google and it gives you millions of results in 2 seconds or less!) Starvation mode does not always mean that you are intentionally depriving yourself.
    Straighten your facts before giving advice. these boards aren't intended for medical advice or anything of course, but unfortunately, many people think that MFPers have the answers. Try webmd.com for yourown information. if you have time to write a response you have time to learn something new and give GOOD advice.
  • floreo22
    floreo22 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    just wanted to thank everyone who's been helpful. i've added a lot more fruit in today, and it seems to be slowly making the difference. also, i'm going to try some fruit smoothies, i think, and see if that is an easy way to boost my calories. i had a low calorie breakfast, but at least it is a start. also, i'm resigned to the fact that i won't eat my exercise calories, but will instead save these for a treat meal or couple of drinks with friends once a week.
  • littlemili
    Options
    Edited bc the OP removed her insults towards me...
  • floreo22
    floreo22 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i wasn't trying to be insulting. i apologise if you are upset. i removed it because i decided it would be better for everyone's morale if i didn't respond to your comments. i was only trying to suggest that you weren't being helpful. again, i am sorry if you were upset.
  • littlemili
    Options
    was only trying to suggest that you weren't being helpful. again, i am sorry if you were upset.

Read what I wrote:
    Google "calorie dense foods".
    Don't like the idea of solid food in the morning? Fine, use meal replacement shakes.

I WAS being helpful, you just chose to ignore that.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat meat, getting enough protein is probably difficult, so I'd focus on getting that.

The very name "Muscle Milk" always set off my gag reflex, but I picked up some of their protein bars, and they're really good. Chocolate and caramel and nuts, delicious and chewy. They taste like a 100 Grand candy bar, but 170 calories, 15g protein and 4g fiber. So you're doing good things for your body, and your mind thinks you're indulging. Win-win. :smile:

I also love lowfat chocolate milk, and have it just about every night. About 150 calories and 8g protein per glass. Goes down easy, but curbs hunger and tastes like dessert.

Add one or both of those to your day, and you're at your calorie goal.
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    Now I don't mean to sound rude. BUT...

You are here to lose weight. You didn't get to that position by eating under 1200 calories per day. You are obviously more than capable of eating significantly more than that for an extended period of time.

Google "calorie dense foods". Eat them. Or eat more of what you already are eating.

Also just suck it up and eat some breakfast because for one thing it will help your metabolism which will increase your appetite naturally, and remember you are eating with a purpose in mind, and food is fuel. If you want to achieve your weight loss and fitness goals then just eat like a machine even if it makes you uncomfortable. Eating 1200 calories is easy. Eating breakfast is easy. Don't like the idea of solid food in the morning? Fine, use meal replacement shakes.

Most of us are here because we ate too many calorie dense foods that were also low in nutrients. Big Macs, Cheesecake, Candy, Ice Cream, etc. When we eat better foods, the calories go down, but the volume of food goes up! Then we have to learn to find healthy ways to get more calories in without feeling overstuffed (by the volume) or succumbing to crap food all of the time. Not all of us are skilled at that.
  • LoseItJourney
    LoseItJourney Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    This post is kinda rediculas in my opinion.

100 calories - 200 calories is all you need to ad?

even if you eat just a granola bar its 100 cals.

ITS NOT HARD.

This post makes it seem like you think you need to eat another full meal or something, when all you need is one light snack.
  • 16mixingbowls
    16mixingbowls Posts: 205 Member
    Options

Sorry, but this comment IS rude. Obviously her issue IS eating enough, just like MY issue is eating too much. We all have issues with food, or issues with other things, so it is offensive to imply that the OP's issue is invalid just since it's not YOURS.
  • sarahkbarnes
    Options
    Hi there! Fee free to add me and have a look at my diary. I'm mostly vegetarian (except when I let my husband cook a bit of meat because it makes him so happy - maybe once a month!). I can safely say that I have no problem reaching my calories, so maybe you can take some inspiration from my food choices :)
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    fruits and nuts will get you there
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    avocados, nuts and nut butters, olive oil... It's really quite simple.
  • midgey86
    Options
    I am having this problem too. I think some people are being a little rude about it. I think my issue is the same as yours-I used to eat more-but the food was junk food. I am determined to lose weight now, and I am anxious about what to eat! I worry about eating too much food because that is partly why i gained the weight-but now I am eating much healthier foods..so I think we just need to keep reminding ourselves that we are eating healthier foods and not to worry about eating the 1200 calories. I hope I helped! I asked this question too and the replies I got were basically add nuts to your diet and also to carry a granola bar to eat on the go. good luck :)
  • darrielirwin
    Options
    10 almonds, lots of protein and will keep you fuller longer. You are right you need to hit the 1200 goal. As a snacking treat I usually have nutella and strawberries. It's about a 150 calorie snack, but it is very yummy! :)
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    these posts make me angry. Just eat something extra or add 50 calories to every meal. you already know the answer.
    :noway: I don't understand it either. It's just rediculous :yawn:
    Right up their with "I'm doing everything I'm supposed to and not losing any weight". :indifferent: