Substitutions for baked chips....?

Options
So, I've been adding baked chips to meals to fill in calories. I know its not the best choice but I can't eat a million baby carrots to up the calories. Is there anything healthier with around the same calories?

Replies

• Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with baked chips? At least they aren't fried!!
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Why did you immediately jump to baked chips? They are yummy and a much more sensible option than chips chips, but there are a lot of higher calorie foods that you could use.

I sometimes fill with fat free cottage cheese. Hummus would spice up those baby carrots AND make the calories go up faster. I would stick with things with some fiber and or protein. Full fat cheese with an apple, black beans...
  • martinh78
    Options
    baked potato.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's anything much wrong with baked chips - yummy and filling.

But baked butternut chips are nice.

Dips for your veg can be nice - e.g. creme fraiche with garlic and herbs can be very yummy.
  • brianandmarlene2
    Options
    Oh, I just assumed that all chips are bad. Good to hear theyre not terrible!
  • alexis92
    Options
    i think baked chips are fine! but if you're looking for replacements, try rice cakes (some stores have giant ones, 40 calories each) or popchips.
  • tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    You could do popcorn, baked asparagus spears (with salt and olive oil they get crunchy like fries), carrots and hummus, sliced apples with pb (or without), whole grain tortilla chips with a chunky tomato or bean salsa
  • meganepreston
    meganepreston Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    My go to for filling in calories is popcorn or dry cereal... I love crunchy, "pop-able" things at the end of the day.
  • amberrrogers
    Options
    is it me or does hummus have a really high calorie content?
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    This is a great example of how some people now think everything that isn't green is bad for them! The diet police have really got their claws in deep.
  • mslh84
    mslh84 Posts: 180
    Options
    I eat Aged white cheddar Popcorn, by Popcorn Indiana. I often sub. chips for this
  • meerkat70
    Options

It's you.... :-)

Hummus is healthy, it's got plenty of protein in, and it's really not that calorific. You don't eat by the tub load, after all....
  • candicejn
    candicejn Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Kale chips are tasty, if you can get them just right. I also make my own baked tortilla chips out of corn tortillas, that way I can control the fat content (and it's a lot cheaper than baked tortilla chips from the store!)
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough whole grains? Brown rice, multigrain/whole wheat bread, ect.? Those would be a better, more nutritious option than chips.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Are we having a transatlantic language clash here? I presumed by 'baked chips' you meant potatoes cut into fingers and roasted in the oven (UK chips, US french fries). Not what we here would term crisps.
  • candicejn
    candicejn Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Are we having a transatlantic language clash here? I presumed by 'baked chips' you meant potatoes cut into fingers and roasted in the oven (UK chips, US french fries). Not what we here would term crisps.

I think there's a language clash :) We have potato chips ( what you call crisps?) that are baked instead of fried.
  • caveats
    caveats Posts: 493 Member
    Options

They have a high calorie content because it has an oil base (with beans, usually garbanzo or chickpea). It's still a great snack because usually the oil is olive, with good healthy fats in it. So don't just judge a food by its calories. :)
  • caveats
    caveats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    So, I've been adding baked chips to meals to fill in calories. I know its not the best choice but I can't eat a million baby carrots to up the calories. Is there anything healthier with around the same calories?

Chips/veggies and a bit of healthy dip like guacamole or fresh-made salsa (manga salsa works *really* well). Or vegetables (steamed, sauteed, whatever) drizzled with extra virgin olive oil and cracked pepper. Also a big fan of roasted root vegetables (potatoes, sweet potatoes, turnips, beets, whatever) -- chop them into relatively even-sized pieces, toss in olive oil, salt, pepper, and any other herbs/spices you desire, roast in the oven at 350 degrees until fork-tender. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese for even more flavor/calories, if needed.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Kale chips are tasty, if you can get them just right. I also make my own baked tortilla chips out of corn tortillas, that way I can control the fat content (and it's a lot cheaper than baked tortilla chips from the store!)

Came here to post some love for kale chips!
  • renee_lee88
    renee_lee88 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

If you are also looking for the crunchy aspect of chips which most of us crave for you can cut up some Mountain Bread (Its like flat a wrap but heaps thinner and actually called mountain bread) and sprinkle some seasoning like chicken salt or something tasty and bake them in the oven. They go crunchy just like a potato chip and a healthier choice.

I hope that helps.