Fitness Partner at the Gym

Options
Hello,

I'm new to the forums and would love to know if 1) there is anyone in London, On. looking for a fitness partner at the gym and 2) what tips and advice do people have on finding ways to stay motivated to go to the gym alone?

I have a membership to a local gym and find it hard to go alone. I can be very self conscious as well as talk myself out of going on a regular basis. Whether I have a long day at work, or know that someone might need me to help them with something when I get home I seem to find an excuse almost every time!

Thanks and talk to you all :)

Renee

Replies

• sunnya2519
    Options
    I wish we were closer. I too am always talking myself out, when i find out i am going alone. I do go alone sometimes and just stay focused on me and not the people around me. I also keep music plugged into my ears so i dont feel so alone. Dont let going alone be the reason you dont go. Keep up the good work!
  • poeticsweet
    Options
    I go to the gym alone as well. I listen to music and can zone out everyone around me to the point that I get startled if someone needs to talk to me.
  • samantha0176
    samantha0176 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    i am trying to get my friend to re join the gym to motivate me....although i find that when i workout with my friends we end up talking too much and not workout as well as i do when i am alone...i watch TV at the gym or if there is nothing good on the 5 tvs they have setup , i just listen to my music..
    I guess when i put it this way, i'd rather workout alone...who needs to gossip in the one hr spent at the gym...this is what timmy's seating area is for :o)
  • ReneeRobinson081422
    Options
    Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I'm planning on going to the gym tomorrow after work. My goal is to go twice a week to start.
  • ChickyVicky
    Options
    Start off nice and easy and then build up. When I joined a gym I thought people were staring at me thinking "what the hell is she doing here? She'll never loose weight." But you stay strong and fight through those nasty thoughts. I now walk into the gym with my head held high and enjoy the feeling of sweat dripping- it means I'm losing calories!! I think of every sweat drop as a calorie and it makes me work even harder.
    I too find that music is a great friend to go to the gym with. I find myself working to the beat of the music- excellent if you think you'll "just go easy on yourself"!! Hope any of this helps!! And good luck :)))
  • JaredBergeron
    JaredBergeron Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Maybe check out a group class at the gym? Great place to meet locals with similar goals!
  • ReneeRobinson081422
    Options
    Well, first gym visit in a long time and it was a success. I feel great! Now, just have to make sure I do it again :)