Warrior Dash preparation- help from experienced people neede

Options
Hello awesome MFP folks!
So i'm really interested in doing a Warrior Dash. (go here for info if you don't know what it is: http://www.warriordash.com/register2011_south_florida.php#)

I started my journey here On October 5th and have since lost 7 pounds, 7 inches, and have built up more endurance and strength than i've had in a while. If I register for this Warrior Dash, which takes place on December 3rd, my concern is only that i won't be ready! Has anyone ever done this? Do you think a month is enough time to prepare for it the best i can? i know it will be pretty much hell no matter what. What type of training would you all recommened for this type of thing? I currently do various cardio exercises including the Elliptical, walking, running (interval training with fast walking), stationary bike., etc. For strength I am just over halfway through Jillian Michaels 30-Day Shred and am feeling stronger for sure. I do Pilates for strength and weight loss as well.

I respect everyone's opinions but if you've never done this type of race before, please try not to comment. I want to get responses from some members who have "been there, done that!". Thanks :flowerforyou:

Replies

• rc12345
    rc12345 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I haven't done this race but I plan to next year. I am interested in preparation as well.. thanks!
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I can't stress enough how most of the battle will be in your head. You just have to know you can do the obstacles (some of them are scarier to look at than to traverse). There's lots of rest between running because the obstacles get pretty crowded.

Your training will do you just fine. You can do it :)
  • stephy52604
    stephy52604 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I did the dash last year. You're right, it was hell. I didn't train very good at all. I tried to go from doing nothing to the most grueling race ever, and boy was that a bad idea. I ended up hurting my knee halfway through my c25k training so I didn't even have that finished. I walked the whole thing and had to skip a couple of the obstacles because of my knee. My best advise is to try running in mud as much as you can and rock climbing. Those were the 2 that got the best of me. Hope your race goes well!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Before WD, I'd completed Couch to 5k and done a handful of races, the longest being 5 miles. For strength training, I did the EA Active Sports2 "game" on the Playstation with 5# dumbbells, which is similar to a 30 Day Shred kind of workout.

The only obstacle that was scary was the Great Warrior Wall, which was an estimated 16-20' vertical wall with cleats you climbed with a knotted rope. Some courses have it at an angle you can walk up using the rope for balance and leverage. The smaller Warrior Walls (4' high) were hard for me just because I'm kind of short, and the wood was very slippery cuz it was raining. I did a few, and skipped the rest. It wasn't worth risking pulling my groin early on in the run. :wink:

As far as running... the dash would have been just as much fun if I hiked it instead of ran. Possibly more fun because I could have enjoyed the scenery!

The hardest obstacle by far was the mud pit at the end. It's not always that hard, but when we went through, there wasn't nearly enough water in the mud mixture. It was sand, gravel and a little water... aka... CEMENT! But later on, they added enough water that people were literally able to swim in it. Just make sure it's wet enough before trying to do a belly flop. :wink:

For more and photos, here's my blog post on it: http://www.isthisbliss.com/?p=128
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Before WD, I'd completed Couch to 5k and done a handful of races, the longest being 5 miles. For strength training, I did the EA Active Sports2 "game" on the Playstation with 5# dumbbells, which is similar to a 30 Day Shred kind of workout.

The only obstacle that was scary was the Great Warrior Wall, which was an estimated 16-20' vertical wall with cleats you climbed with a knotted rope. Some courses have it at an angle you can walk up using the rope for balance and leverage. The smaller Warrior Walls (4' high) were hard for me just because I'm kind of short, and the wood was very slippery cuz it was raining. I did a few, and skipped the rest. It wasn't worth risking pulling my groin early on in the run. :wink:

As far as running... the dash would have been just as much fun if I hiked it instead of ran. Possibly more fun because I could have enjoyed the scenery!

The hardest obstacle by far was the mud pit at the end. It's not always that hard, but when we went through, there wasn't nearly enough water in the mud mixture. It was sand, gravel and a little water... aka... CEMENT! But later on, they added enough water that people were literally able to swim in it. Just make sure it's wet enough before trying to do a belly flop. :wink:

For more and photos, here's my blog post on it: http://www.isthisbliss.com/?p=128

Thank you for sharing your blog. Definitely encouraging! Making me want to do it more...I need to find someone who will do it with me! I'm guessing it would be way harder alone!
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED IT!!!

I’m a runner, but really wasn’t prepared for running up & down the hills on the Indiana course. (I’ll plan better next year) You can walk the course if you aren’t in shape, just finish it! The obstacles were pretty easy for me, but I trained doing P90X.

You will have a most awesome time…, I promise!!!