I am not a runner..

Options
And would really like to become one.

What are some helpful tips to starting out? Like what is the best shoe, best stretches, etc.

Replies

• bumpers96
    Options
    Check out the Couch to 5K program. I used it when I first started running. It takes 9 weeks to get to a point where you can run 3 miles consistently.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Go to a running specialty store and have them fit you for shoes. It is definitely worth it. I tried so many different shoes. I finally gave up and went to the running store and voila! They helped me find the perfect shoe for me. Good shoes are key. Not having good shoes is a recipe for injury (in my opinion).

Do the couch to 5K program. I didn't know about it when I started running, but I've heard a lot of good things about it. It starts you slowly and gradually builds you up to running.

As for warming up before I run? I start off walking slowly, then speed up some and as my body gets warmed up, I just gradually move into running.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Best shoe depends on your foot - go to a running store and have them do a gait analysis and fit you for the right shoe for you.

Stretching is debatable. Running is still within our normal range of motion, so some argue that you don't need to stretch. I personally rarely stretch when I run, but others swear by it - so that just depends on your body and how it reacts to running.

Start slow - don't try to do too much at once. Check out a program like Couch to 5K or something similar to get you started.

Get involved - find a local running club or group that you can get hooked up with for motivation, encouragement, support, etc. And sign up for a race a few months out to give you something to work toward. Most 5K programs are 8-9 weeks, so 3 months out would be good.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Get fitted for shoes at a real running store where they evaluate your gate.

Do not expect to run a lot right away, something like Couch to 5K (C25K) is great to get you used to upping running compared to walking.

Take it slow

You do NOT have to be a runner to lose weight or be in shape, you should run because you LIKE it (it's okay to give this time, it took me til about week 7 or 8 of C25K to like running).
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    Go to your local running store and have them recommond and fit you with the proper shoe. Then start out slow, walking with some running mixed in, or try a program like C25K(couch to 5K). That has worked for a lot of people. I was a non-runner in the spring of 2010, in December, i will be running my 5th half marathon. If i can do it, so can you!
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, but I'm getting there!
    Stretching before a run is not beneficial, according to new studies.
    I've built up my endurance by adding a few minutes to my run, and sticking with that time for a couple weeks until my body adjusts- then I add a few more minutes! I'm up to running 35 without stopping :D
    Good running shoes is really important- don't skimp out! Go to a sporting goods store and find someone who knows what they're talking about.
    You can do this! Best of luck, I cant wait to hear about your progress!
  • akgrl1020
    Options
    I agree. Go and get fitted at a true running store. Shoes can make or break you as a runner, especially when you are just starting out. Take it slow, and listen to your body. Hydration is important! I always warm up with some walking and stretch at the end of my run, while my muscles are warm. Good luck!
  • deshea_d
    Options
    I have found running to be more mental than physical for me. As soon as I could run 1 mile, I could run 3 miles. My biggest hurdle was getting to a mile. There are tons of 5K plans out there that provide program suggestions to gradually build a base. I used http://www.coolrunning.com. I also took a one night smooth running class at a local running store that has classes and running groups. It was a big help. As for shoes, I love Brooks and Mizuno but highly recommend you go to a running store to be fitted rather than a basic shoe store to see what is best for you. Most people I know seem to love running once they can run a few miles. I personally still hate running. I hope you are one of those that learn to love it.
  • adross3
    adross3 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    1. Good Shoes - Doesn't have to be the best. Protect your feet.
    2. Run with purpose
    3. Keep your shoulders back. Keep a straight line the best you can.
    4. Don't frail your arms around.
    5. Increase your speed for a minute. Doing this boosts your cal burn and your body burns that same amount of cals for the next
    couple of minutes. This way you will burn more cals.
  • S2012
    S2012 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I just started 2 months ago. The first day I only made it .5 miles and it was HARD. I now have a 5K race under my belt. What helped me was signing up for a race so I knew I was committed and had to keep at it. You can search for race training schedules and they help guide your training. All the websites I have seen encourage cross-training (biking, walking, elliptical) on off days.
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    As mentioned before.... good shoes + ignore stretching.... also proper hydration is probably the greatest factor on how well you run (even over carb intake!
  • punk_mama
    Options
    I always stretch after a run, I just have to; I feel it when I don't. I also would suggest couch to 5k.
    I like running to kind of mellow music to keep a slower pace. When I run to dance dance I start running with the beat and I end up running too fast and I can not go as far. I don't probably all in my head.:bigsmile: Just start slow and stay hydrated, nothing worse than needing a drink and your far from water.
    It might take a few times going out, but after a while you will love it!
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Go to a store that specializes in running and let them do a gait analysis on you to get you into the right shoe. Having the right shoe for your gait will prevent many injuries/ And hydrate always, not just the day of a run.
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I won't parrot all the good advice above, but I'll share this. Set reasonable goals and take it slow. I did not use C25K when I started this summer but I used my own version adapted from a book on running. It took me about five weeks of run/walk intervals before I could run 2 - 3 miles without a break. It was worth taking it slow, though. I've gone from not running at the start of July to running my second 5K in under 25 minutes AND signing up for my first half-marathon. If I had not taken it slow at the beginning, though, I would not have made such good progress.
  • WillieEverlearn
    WillieEverlearn Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Lots of fans of C25K on these boards, but I'll throw in a suggestion for Jeff Galloway's training--you run/walk/run as you build up, breaking the runs into easier-to-digest (mentally, maybe even more than physically) chunks. Built up to a half-marathon using this method, and believe me, if I can do it, anyone can. Fell off the running bandwagon for a while, but back in the groove now-- hoping to do a full marathon within a year.

jeffgalloway.com
  • keddabee
    Options
    Im not a runner either and have never been but one of my goals have become to run 5km before my birthday in July 2012. Its totally doable but I have to have the motivation and look after myself.

Thanks for all the tips everyone :)

I'm starting mine off on a treadmill. Walking first then walking with incline. Then I will slowly start getting into the C25K program. Once I've completed that on a treadmill i'm going to take it outside and see if I can still accomplish it :)

Good luck!! xx