food taste different?

Options
So I've been on this journey for a while now, and a long time ago I cut out all of my favourite foods... basically anything with carbs or sugars......

I figured I would just HAVE to live without these things during the process........ but once I had reached my goal I would be able to have them back in moderation......

But here's the thing..... I'm finding I just don't LIKE those old foods the same way anymore....... When I do treat myself, The textures are all wrong, they just don't seem to give my body any nutrition and it just doesn't do anything to satisfy me the way a bowl of granola and a banana would.........

Has anyone else noticed this or am I on my own here?

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Salt is saltier and Sugar is sweeter.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I think it depends. Processed food like hostess snacks taste disgusting now

grandma's homemade german chocolate cake? Tastes even better :D
  • Krisengel
    Krisengel Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I've found that too. Sometimes I think I'll treat myself to an old favorite, like chips or ice cream and half way through eating it, I have to stop. It just isn't as good anymore. It's great to have found new, healthier favs!
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Salt is saltier and Sugar is sweeter.

This is so true.
    Although my pallet was extremely sensitive before the switch to a healthy lifestyle, for salt and sugar, it is unbelievable now.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I haven't found it with favorite foods, but I've oddly found it with stuff I ate at the beginning of my weight loss journey.

So stuff like regular candy bars or meals from fave restaurants still taste awesome and amazing.

But I tried to have a Special K bar and Fiber One bar recently. Both of which I had almost daily for many, many months before I started making almost all my own did. The Special K bar just tasted overly sweet and "off" and the FiberOne bar tasted fake and waxy.

Give me a Reese's, Butterfinger or Snickers PB though and those still taste absolutely delicious. lol
  • sryan8408
    Options
    I can't stand cake anymore. It tastes like granulated sugar. Anything flavored with sweeteners is WAY too sweet for me. And anything made at a restaurant is way too salty!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Interesting that you mention cutting out carbs and sugar, but your examples of things that taste good are both full of carbs and sugar. I've always had a well developed palette, so food doesn't really taste any different to me.
  • bcr1559
    bcr1559 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. I started eating mainly a raw diet in July and every time I have something off the diet I am never satisfied and end up craving salad or an apple. This change in my tastes has definitely made it easier to stick with my diet!
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I've absolutely noticed this. Your body develops an addiction to those types of food when you eat them on a regular basis, so it convinces you that you need them. In reality, they are not as good as our brains think they are (high-carb, fatty and high sugar foods cause our brains to release seratonin convincing us that they make us happy). Once you stop eating them or at least reduce the frequency, you break the addiction and they no longer provide the "rush" they used to :D
    Congratulations on breaking the addiction! It's not an easy thing to do. Keep up the great work!
  • bllowry
    bllowry Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I agree with the salt and sugar; even small amounts taste very salty/sweet to me now. And I like things I didn't care for before like kale and spinach.
  • jenculver
    Options
    let me start by saying your amazing for the self control you have had to lose as much as you have, its great you no longer like the taste of really sweet or salty food, it means you have come really far, from the person you once were, that is what we all fight for, i have not reached a goal not even close near your, i too tell myslef if i reach a certain goal, i can treat myslef in* moderation* i can't say i don't like the taste of french fries or a milk shake lol, because i don't think i'm at the mental point with as much self control to not, but you are, congrats hun:flowerforyou:
  • Shell_7609
    Shell_7609 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I've basically quit drinking pop, and I was travelling a few weeks ago & got a vanilla coke out of the vending machine & it tasted like syrup to me
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Interesting that you mention cutting out carbs and sugar, but your examples of things that taste good are both full of carbs and sugar. I've always had a well developed palette, so food doesn't really taste any different to me.

That's is an interesting point! Maybe that's why all food tastes good to me too. Somethings even taste better becuase I don't have them as regularly, but still include them :]
  • jazzalea
    jazzalea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I think it depends. Processed food like hostess snacks taste disgusting now

grandma's homemade german chocolate cake? Tastes even better :D

a perfect example......a twinkie really isn't food.... and now when I try and eat one... it' feels like I'm eating a sock covered in sugar :) ....... not so yummy after all :)
  • jazzalea
    jazzalea Posts: 412 Member
    Options

I dunno.... maybe because they are a more natural food source and the sugars are natural?
  • RonneyKay
    RonneyKay Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I haven't been eating this way very long (non processed food) but even for me I've noticed.

especially bread, ew. The texture is really bad, and I am really not a fan of the taste. For instance, I make hummus, generally I dip bell peppers, carrots or some other type of veggie in it. My husband had a pita, I tried it, it was nasty! I just couldn't eat it. it just felt so thick:(

so yea, it doesn't take long I guess for our bodies to adjust. Thankfully though, they do adjust:)

ronney
  • lrd2010
    lrd2010 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Interesting that you've experienced this, I never really cut anything out entirely from my diet - just portion control really. So I can't say it has happened to me.

Apart from Full Fat Coke. It does taste very sweet! Coke Zero is more to my taste these days :)