How did you all set your first goal?

Was it by percentage of your body weight? Was it by pounds? Just wondering what your short term goals were.

I like instant gratification so mine is 5lbs... LOL I FINALLY bought a scale tonight, found out my starting weight wasn't what I thought (it was actually 2 lbs more) so I adjusted my profile accordingly. So I think 5 lbs will be my goals for now? Is that silly just to have that little of a goal? but honestly for me, I dont think its easy.

and I am glad I got a scale tonight:)

So, what was your first goal?

Ronney

Replies

• chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,850 Member
    my first goal was to stay on plan through an entire week regardless of what i lost.

then i wanted to lose ten lbs.

then i wanted to lose 10% of my starting weight.

then i started rewarding myself for every 10lbs lost.

then... the rest was history.
  • Nikki_is_Knotty
    Nikki_is_Knotty Posts: 248 Member
    5 lbs isnt to little. Someone once said that even 1 lb at a time is good! Whatever works for you is good!!
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    my first goal was by pounds...i wanted to return to my usual weight which was between 100-105 lbs.

When i hit that goal, I realized I should probably just keep losing. My goal has continually changed between 80-100 pounds, but at 97 pounds I feel 85 pounds is my final goal as I dont show weight. ^^
  • alvarezmb
    alvarezmb Posts: 3 Member
    Ronney,

Just the fact that you have decided to move towards a healthier lifestyle is a huge step. 5lbs is a great starting goal. I'm sure that once you knock those out of the park, you'll become addicted until you get to a weight that makes you feel comfortable. If 5lbs is it, then that's something to be proud of. If you'd like to lose more, it's still a great place to start.

To answer your question, my short term goal was probably somewhere near 5lbs. Although it kind of just happened and kept going. I lost a lot of weight initially, almost 50lbs (size 12 to a size 6). Now, I'm a size 8 and climbed up a bit. My current short term goal is to drop below 150 (I'm 151 and it's been incredibly hard). After that, I hope to fit into a size 4. Your goals can be whatever you want them to be, as long as they're realistic for you.

Congrats on deciding to make the journey and best of luck!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    when I began at almost 500 lbs. my 1st goal wasn't lbs. lost. my very first goal was walking 1 mile w/o stopping to rest. took about 2 months. walking 5x a week.
  • isherryb
    isherryb Posts: 47 Member
    When I first joined, I was so excited and anxious, my first goal was to lose 10 lbs a month. After all I've been reading about weight loss and losing too quickly, I've had to rethink my weight loss strategy. My new goal is about 1 to 1.5 lbs a week, to exercise more and become more active, and to reach my ultimate goal by late spring 2012.
  • caveats
    caveats Posts: 493 Member
    my first goal was by pounds...i wanted to return to my usual weight which was between 100-105 lbs.

When i hit that goal, I realized I should probably just keep losing. My goal has continually changed between 80-100 pounds, but at 97 pounds I feel 85 pounds is my final goal as I dont show weight. ^^

Good Lord, you must be TINY in frame. I have 100 lbs. just in lean muscle mass, and I'm only 5'3". :laugh:

I set my initial goal based on what my weight was 10 years ago (115 lbs.) Quickly realized the folly of my thinking -- to get to 115, I'd have to work WAY too hard to restrict my calorie intake and, for me, that's not doable. I love food. I'm not willing to give up real butter and fat-laden prime rib and whipped cream mountains on my hot chocolate. I'll moderate, but I knew I wouldn't eliminate or severely restrict any food for the long term.

So I looked into other goals. I decided that the most important thing, for me, was to be more active, athletic, and healthy, and secondly, to be able to fit comfortably into the clothes currently in my closet (ranging from size 2-6, and some of the 6s were getting tough). So now my goal is to lower my BF% to 20% and reevaluate from there. :smile:
  • My first goal and still my goal was/is to stay on plan. Keep logging everything. All I need to to do now is start/up the excersize portion then I think I would loose a bit more.
    :tongue: